PDA

View Full Version : Kemp to be part time player after A.Jones returns?

Redsnake
06-29-2008, 09:40 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/7780/news

Doesn't make any since. I though the rumors of Kemp being dealt for a power hitting bat was a joke. Could they actually be true?

If there was any chance of landing him after A.Jones comes back this would be the time. I hope Jocketty is doing everything he can.

RedsFanInBama
06-29-2008, 09:50 PM
I can't imagine doing that to a young player with as much promise as Kemp.

Brutus
06-30-2008, 12:04 AM
Matt Kemp, your table is ready in the Queen City.

In seriousness though, the Dodgers got three hits total the last two nights, scoring one run (unearned, I believe). If they want to stay in contention, they're going to need to get a bat. While I wouldn't blame them for not wanting to trade Kemp for Adam Dunn... it's the kind of trade they need to make. Fast.

This, however, would be a mistake to sit Kemp for Jones. In order, Kemp, Ethier and Pierre are contributing enough to stay in the lineup. Andruw Jones is making too much money not to play, I suppose, but he's really declined a ton.

Blue
06-30-2008, 12:43 AM
I don't understand why everyone is so high on Matt Kemp. He's not a long term solution in CF, and this season he's not coming anywhere close to his half-season 2007 numbers.

Brutus
06-30-2008, 12:50 AM
I don't understand why everyone is so high on Matt Kemp. He's not a long term solution in CF, and this season he's not coming anywhere close to his half-season 2007 numbers.

Why isn't he a long-term solution? He's 24 years old, has a strong arm and is a terrific defensive player with range.

Even this year, while on pace for just 14 homers, he's hitting .290 and on pace for 90 RBI's and 32 stolen bases. His OPS (775) is certainly nothing to write home about, but he has power that projects for a good 25-30 homers and if my hunch is correct, that will happen in the next year or so.

On the contrary, he's exactly what the Reds need.

GoReds33
06-30-2008, 01:02 AM
Why isn't he a long-term solution? He's 24 years old, has a strong arm and is a terrific defensive player with range.

Even this year, while on pace for just 14 homers, he's hitting .290 and on pace for 90 RBI's and 32 stolen bases. His OPS (775) is certainly nothing to write home about, but he has power that projects for a good 25-30 homers and if my hunch is correct, that will happen in the next year or so.

On the contrary, he's exactly what the Reds need.I agree. He's also something else the Reds need, right handed. The Reds need somebody like that, other than Phillips and Edwin, so we can start hitting lefties. He's hitting .326, with a .581 slugging percentage this year against lefties. What's not to love?

Blue
06-30-2008, 01:06 AM
I haven't watched him play enough to know anything about his range. His size, 6'2" 230 lbs, makes me think he's a corner outfielder long term, if not now. He's not a patient hitter either, and I don't think this team needs any more hackers. If his bat comes back around, it won't matter if he plays a corner spot. If his bat doesn't come back around, that will be fine as long as he plays a good CF. I feel like at this point there is a good chance that the bat doesn't come back around and he can't stick in CF.

krm1580
06-30-2008, 02:20 PM
I don't really get the overwhelming love for Matt Kemp. He is on a pace to have 170Ks and 41BB which would normally indicate to me a guy that is swinging hard in case he hits it. Of course he projected 14Hrs sort of refutes that whole swinging hard theory.

Don't we already have too many guys on this team that swing at everything?

He got it!
06-30-2008, 03:55 PM
I've watched Matt Kemp enough to know that he would fit right in on this ball club offensively. Take it for what it's worth. I don't know too many people that are happy with our offensive approach right now.

He got it!
06-30-2008, 03:55 PM
To clarify... He swings early and often and tries to pull everything out of the yard.

Griffey012
06-30-2008, 04:49 PM
The dodgers GM was dumb enough to give A Jones a big contract, he might be dumb enough to give up Matt Kemp for say Ryan Freel or some lopsided package.

redsfanmia
06-30-2008, 05:46 PM
I would rather have Andrew "Dookie" McCutchen from the Pirates but I would take Kemp.

Grande Donkey
06-30-2008, 05:48 PM
No way we could get McCutchen but it would be awesome if we could.

Griffey012
06-30-2008, 05:59 PM
would you swap Bailey for McCutcheon? I would for sure. He would fix our outfield problems and would basically be a swap of a top pitching talent for a top centerfield talent, and at this point, I think we need to top centerfield talent before the top pitching talent.

Grande Donkey
06-30-2008, 06:11 PM
would you swap Bailey for McCutcheon? I would for sure. He would fix our outfield problems and would basically be a swap of a top pitching talent for a top centerfield talent, and at this point, I think we need to top centerfield talent before the top pitching talent.I don't think the Pirates do that deal either. I would definitely do it though.

redsfanmia
06-30-2008, 07:10 PM
would you swap Bailey for McCutcheon? I would for sure. He would fix our outfield problems and would basically be a swap of a top pitching talent for a top centerfield talent, and at this point, I think we need to top centerfield talent before the top pitching talent.

I dont think the Pirates would do it but hey do have McClouth in center so maybe. I think it would take more than Homer but maybe Homer plus Stubbs or Frazier.