PDA

View Full Version : Matt Maloney

OnBaseMachine
06-30-2008, 03:19 PM
After throwing a complete game with two earned runs yesterday, Maloney has his ERA down to 4.32 in 100 innings. He's allowed 94 hits (10 homeruns) and posted a very good 28 BB/93 K ratio. Those are pretty good numbers considering how awful of an April he had (6.65 ERA in 23 innings with 30 hits allowed). Check out what's he did in his last 10 starts dating back to May 12th: 65.2 IP, 50 H, 17 BB/63 K, 3.29 ERA. He had three bad outings mixed in there in but his last two starts have been very good. I'd like to see Maloney brought up now and placed in the bullpen for now and then moved into the rotation if Arroyo. He'll never be an ace or anything but he's got a big durable frame (6'4" 220) and could settle in as a solid innings eating #5 starter in the mold of a Paul Maholm.

reds44
06-30-2008, 03:24 PM
A 4.32 ERA in AAA isn't really something to be that excited about, right?

OnBaseMachine
06-30-2008, 03:25 PM
One other thing. With Cueto and Volquez throwing 94-96 mph heat, and Thompson around that area too, Maloney's 87-90 mph fastball, plus changeup, and solid curveball would be a nice change of pace in the rotation. With some defense behind him Maloney could develop into a 4.50 ERA type of pitcher IMO.

dougdirt
06-30-2008, 03:30 PM
Maloney's flyball rates concern me with our park... I wouldn't bring him up until there is a spot in the rotation. I don't like him out of the bullpen so much.

RedsManRick
06-30-2008, 03:31 PM

That ERA really belies his peripherals. His FIP would be under 4.00 with those numbers, possibly in the mid 3's. While I'm not particularly high on his potential, I think he's definitely earned a shot. I think he could be that guy I was hoping Belisle would be -- ERA around 5.00 and 180 IP for cheap.

dougdirt
06-30-2008, 03:31 PM
That ERA really belies his peripherals. His FIP would be under 4.00 with those numbers, possibly in the mid 3's. While I'm not particularly high on his potential, I think he's definitely earned a shot. I think he could be that guy I was hoping Belisle would be -- ERA around 5.00 and 180 IP for cheap.

FIP is 3.70 right now.

fearofpopvol1
06-30-2008, 03:32 PM

I think he can at least be a guy with a ERA in the 4.5, maybe 4.7 range. He's old enough and he has improved with time at each level and he is LH. I see zero reason why he shouldn't get a shot at this point.

cincyinco
06-30-2008, 03:40 PM
I love maloney, have since his time in philly's minor leagues - but be warned... He is going to take time to adjust at the mlb level, just as he has at the aaa level. I think he can do it, but its going to take time and patience.

Homer Bailey
06-30-2008, 06:54 PM
Maloney excites me in the same way that Dumatrait did last year. Which kind of scares me.

Matt700wlw
06-30-2008, 07:06 PM
I love maloney, have since his time in philly's minor leagues - but be warned... He is going to take time to adjust at the mlb level, just as he has at the aaa level. I think he can do it, but its going to take time and patience.

This place will tolerate no such thing ;)

AmarilloRed
06-30-2008, 07:13 PM
The HRs are a concern, but it might be acceptable if he can keep baserunners off the bases. His recent numbers as far as BBs and hits are encouraging, I just want to see him continue it.

cincyinco
06-30-2008, 08:25 PM
Maloney was doing well at keeping the ball in the yard until his real rough stretch. Didn't he go from like 2 to 7 in a few starts? That's one of the adjustment patches I'm talking about. Give him a half year or more before we really know if he can cut it IMO. He might have a transition similar to a jaime moyer.

Oxilon
06-30-2008, 08:27 PM
Soft tossing in lefties in general usually get hit very hard there first time around. I wouldn't expect too much from Maloney if he's called up this season.

Joseph
06-30-2008, 08:37 PM
I'm not a fan. We need a lefty sure, but I don't see "it" in Maloney. Thats likely to be a shredded opinion on here I know, but my gut says nu-uh.

Mario-Rijo
06-30-2008, 08:54 PM
The HRs are a concern, but it might be acceptable if he can keep baserunners off the bases. His recent numbers as far as BBs and hits are encouraging, I just want to see him continue it.

I agree here, he needs more of a track record before he would unseat any current starters. Now if Arroyo were dealt then it's the logical 1st choice at this point.

SMcGavin
06-30-2008, 10:03 PM

Not if you think ERA is a good predictor of future ERA... lucky for the Reds and Maloney, it's not.

Rojo
07-02-2008, 05:56 PM
I'm not taken it for granted that Thompson sticks for the rest of the year. If he does great, if not go with Belisle. If Belisle sticks, great. If he doesn't clear out Weathers or Lincoln or Affeldt, stick Belisle in the pen and give the ball to Maloney.

camisadelgolf
07-02-2008, 06:09 PM
Matt Maloney might end up needing all the option years he can get. Adam Pettyjohn is a free agent after the year, so I might go to him before adding Maloney to the 40-man roster.

TheBigLebowski
07-02-2008, 06:12 PM
Maloney just doesn't excite me. I hope he sticks as a starter, possibly even next year but I would be surprosed if it happens. Pleasantly surprised, to be sure, but surprised nonetheless.

camisadelgolf
07-02-2008, 06:12 PM

Before I type a more in-depth response, what do you mean by that?