PDA

View Full Version : C. Trent speaks of pow-wow

BurgervilleBuck
06-30-2008, 04:24 PM
http://www.thelotd.com/ctrent/blog/2008/06/29/thinking_out_loud_630

Good day for Bronson Arroyo to bounce back. I've been told that the Phillies may have been scouting Arroyo in Cleveland and the Reds had people in Texas watching Philadelphia.

I've been told the Reds front-office brass will be having a powwow soon and that could be to determine just what the team wants to get rid of and what they want in return.

The next week or so could be pretty interesting.

Fire sale imminent? Firings imminent?

Stay tuned, I guess.

Blue
06-30-2008, 05:22 PM
I don't know who is on the Phillies roster that is unimportant enough to their team that they would trade him in the middle of a playoff race. I do know that I would be happy if they could trade him for the salary relief alone, let alone if the Reds received a decent player in return.

I know he's been pretty average during his time with the Reds, but that's just because of his great 2006. Last year was much worse, and this year is about to make me squirt some tears. I'd rather see the money owed to him over the next couple years put toward someone who is a better bet.

nemesis
07-01-2008, 04:46 PM
Lou Marson - C in AA Reading.

I'll take this guy strait up for Arroyo.

wojo1025
07-01-2008, 04:47 PM
I was just reading that the Phills sent B. Myers to AAA to get some work. Now is the time to strike with those guys I think!

JWP
07-01-2008, 05:54 PM
I was just reading that the Phills sent B. Myers to AAA to get some work. Now is the time to strike with those guys I think!

I couldn't tell if you were saying to try to trade for Brett Myers. I can't name many people who would be worse than Brett Myers for the Reds to trade for.

If you weren't saying that, my bad!

wojo1025
07-01-2008, 06:00 PM
No no no no no no no no... I mean if they are sending Myers to the minors they are in desperate need for pitching help

TheBigLebowski
07-01-2008, 06:25 PM
We've dealt them pitching help several times in the past. Maybe we will this year as well.

GoReds33
07-01-2008, 06:29 PM
I would tell them Bronson, and a throw in player for Victorino. Shane is the best possible scenario for this team. He's a centerfielder, with a great arm, and great speed. What else do you want?

dougflynn23
07-01-2008, 08:24 PM
I would tell them Bronson, and a throw in player for Victorino. Shane is the best possible scenario for this team. He's a centerfielder, with a great arm, and great speed. What else do you want? The Phillies would never make that trade. I'd aim for Arroyo and Weathers for Jayson Werth. Werth is emerging as a very good everyday RF but is blocked in Philadelphia.

David Cubbedge
07-01-2008, 08:58 PM
C Trent sent me a message and the pow wow did indeed happen. FWIW...

Blue
07-01-2008, 09:08 PM
C Trent sent me a message and the pow wow did indeed happen. FWIW...

Did Jocketty make everyone call him Chief?

David Cubbedge
07-01-2008, 09:23 PM
Haha, I am not so sure. But I am glad to see the ball is starting to roll now.

BurgervilleBuck
07-02-2008, 09:15 AM
Did Jocketty make everyone call him Chief?
Interesting if we were to designate Native American names upon those in the Reds organization.

George Grande could be He Who Smiles Whatever.

Ghosts of 1990
07-02-2008, 09:19 AM
I don't think there will be a fire sale. I don't see anyone taking dunn or griffey for differing reasons to be honest.

Brutus
07-02-2008, 12:09 PM
I don't think there will be a fire sale. I don't see anyone taking dunn or griffey for differing reasons to be honest.

There are plenty of teams that would take either... it just depends on what these teams would be willing to give up for either player, however.

The market is very dry of power, and Adam Dunn is a guy that could pop 10-15 home runs over the last two months of the season. There are teams looking for that kind of power. I do think if the Reds intend to unload Dunn, he will be finding a new home.

Ken Griffey Jr., on the other hand, will have value if for no other reason than his ability to impact the gate for a contending team down the stretch. He's not likely to get much in return, but the Reds wouldn't be making the trade for that purpose. Though his actual impact on a contending team might be somewhat limited, his mere addition would give the perception of a vast-improved team to the fans of whatever club is willing to take him. I imagine someone would take him... Tampa Bay, Florida, maybe Anaheim (err, Los Angeles), etc.

I wouldn't even call this potential unloading a fire sale anyhow. Considering most of the players that may be traded are guys that may have been parting at the end of the season anyhow, it's not really a dramatic change in the team dynamic. Not to the level of a normal fire sale, anyhow.