PDA

View Full Version : My Lookout impressions

JaxRed
06-30-2008, 09:35 PM
Sat thru 6 games (ok, 85% of 6 games). I'm absolutely no scout but here's my impressions:

Travis Wood seems to be real good as long as he can control his pitches but he seems to lose it easily. Throws lots of changeups, never saw a killer fastball.

Jukich - wanted to see more of him but he was yanked after 5 innings and it was raining. Threw a bit of a temper tantrum, threw helmet. Coach gave him evil eye. Hard to judge by what I saw. Errors behind him

Valaika - wanted to see superstar but just saw good ballplayer in my games. I thought he was very comfortable at SS. I see no reason to move him.

I thought both Seans/Shawns (Henry and Cumberland) looked very good. Very fast, good defense. Don't know if I saw star potential though.

Fairly neutral on what I saw from Eyeman, Turner and Dorn. Wanted to have Dorn look real good but was just ok. Never been too high on Gutierrez.

Lecure looked very, very good but he didn't seem to have massive stuff. Watson and Lutz looked fairly good.

I guess the one guy that stood out the most to me was Manuel, which surprised me because he wasnt one of the guys I was waiting to see. This is a strike-throwing machine. Even when he misses he is just barely missing. I don't know how great his stuff is but he pounds the strike zone.

Grande Donkey
06-30-2008, 09:56 PM
I've heard the biggest knock on Valaika's D at SS is his arm strength (which I was told is comparable to Kepp's). He is a good defensive SS other than that fact.

lollipopcurve
06-30-2008, 10:14 PM
thanks Jax

was curious about Sean Henry -- he's only 22 and showing some skills

JaxRed
06-30-2008, 10:19 PM
Henry's not a big guy at all but still has decent power. Made great sliding catch to save game Sunday, nice arm from outfield.

I thought Valaika had real strong arm, BTW

Mario-Rijo
06-30-2008, 10:30 PM
I would say Valaika's biggest drawback would be his lack of ideal range. His is avg to slightly below at best in the games I saw of him in Dayton. Now is that better than Kepp? Probably better than Kepp but not quite ideal and his arm is similiar I'd say to Kepp's.

I'll echo what Jax said I ain't no scout, but I wasn't overly impressed with his SS play. Actually I should be more specific and say I wasn't overly impressed with his talent but his play there seemed fine.

OnBaseMachine
06-30-2008, 11:28 PM
Good stuff Jax.

icehole3
07-01-2008, 06:03 PM
I would say Valaika's biggest drawback would be his lack of ideal range. His is avg to slightly below at best in the games I saw of him in Dayton. Now is that better than Kepp? Probably better than Kepp but not quite ideal and his arm is similiar I'd say to Kepp's.

I'll echo what Jax said I ain't no scout, but I wasn't overly impressed with his SS play. Actually I should be more specific and say I wasn't overly impressed with his talent but his play there seemed fine.

Saw Valaika when he was at Dayton and youre right he didnt show great range, he kinda reminded me of Stynes.

thorn
07-01-2008, 06:17 PM
Just out of curiosity, what is the measuring stick people use when talking about range? Is there a medium based on previous SS's?

icehole3
07-02-2008, 04:46 AM
Ozzie, Larkin, Davey, I would say those 3 have max range.

NJReds
07-02-2008, 09:03 AM
I guess the one guy that stood out the most to me was Manuel, which surprised me because he wasnt one of the guys I was waiting to see. This is a strike-throwing machine. Even when he misses he is just barely missing. I don't know how great his stuff is but he pounds the strike zone.

Sounds like Coffey when he was in the minors.

lollipopcurve
07-02-2008, 09:10 AM
Sounds like Coffey when he was in the minors.

Or Milton Hill.