PDA

View Full Version : Tonight's umpires....

Kingspoint
07-01-2008, 09:59 PM
I can't type in the gamethread, but there's a lot of talk about the horrible umpires.

It's the same group of minor league umps that worked the Mariner's series before this one and and bumped into the Manager before tossing him out,....specifically, Rob Drake.

This crew is actually from the minors and are replacements. They were terrible in the last M's series and are just as bad in this one. Just wait until it's Rob Drake's turn to get behind the plate tomorrow.

Kingspoint
07-01-2008, 10:00 PM
Drake's at 2nd Base tonight and Chad Fairchild's at 3B (he ejected EE).

Let me change my mind about Drake being behind the plate tomorrow...I think it's going to be Fairchild.

Drake's been in the Majors before, but the M's announcer said the other night that he had come back up from the Minors.

schmidty622
07-01-2008, 10:09 PM
They suck.... HARD.

wojo1025
07-01-2008, 10:13 PM
This has been pretty hard to watch. It almost seem like they threw EE out because he knew he missed the call and he was embarrassed about it.

Also, I have been on the fence with Dusty Baker, but the fact that he did not get thrown out of the game after that call puts me in the "fire him" camp. This team needs someone to show some life. He needed to not only get tossed but throw the base, throw some bats on the field, chuck the water cooler out onto the field...something. Act like you care. Act like you are tired of these horrible calls and bad baseball. This team seems like it's just going through the motions and the manager now seems to have joined them.

Blue
07-01-2008, 10:18 PM
That was a terrible call and an extremely quick ejection. What is wrong with that guy?

markymark69
07-01-2008, 10:24 PM
They could improve in calling balls and strikes also.

namichael
07-01-2008, 10:25 PM
Instead of going to school, I think these guys took a through the mail correspondence course in umpiring.

:thumbdown

killuminati35
07-01-2008, 10:28 PM
I am not able to watch the game, so I don't know what has happened. BUT -- umpiring bashing is so completely ridiculous. Compared to other professional sports -- namely the NFL -- MLB umpires are REALLY DAMN good. Of course they are going to miss a call from time to time, but they are human. For the most part, though, they get in the best possible position and make the best call they can.

Umpiring is really hard. I can't even imagine what it is like at that level. I WOULD love to see any regular baseball fan try to last one game out there.

Blue
07-01-2008, 10:31 PM
I am not able to watch the game, so I don't know what has happened. BUT -- umpiring bashing is so completely ridiculous. Compared to other professional sports -- namely the NFL -- MLB umpires are REALLY DAMN good. Of course they are going to miss a call from time to time, but they are human. For the most part, though, they get in the best possible position and make the best call they can.

Umpiring is really hard. I can't even imagine what it is like at that level. I WOULD love to see any regular baseball fan try to last one game out there.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2008_07_01_pitmlb_cinmlb_1&mode=gameday

Check it out. Its awful.

Kingspoint
07-01-2008, 10:31 PM

Except this "team" is a replacement team from the minors with a mix of Major/Minor League umpires. Rob Drake, for example, has been in the Majors parts of a dozen years, but as you can see from tonight's game, these umpires are just plain bad.

namichael
07-01-2008, 10:34 PM

I do have a lot of respect for umpires. They are the best officials of all major sports. And no, I know that I couldn't do it.

BUT...
on the play in question, it appeared to me that he started to call the guy safe before he even made contact with the bag.

Oh well. :beerme:

mroby85
07-01-2008, 10:43 PM
you can single handedly thank them for the two run deficit at this point, because Bay K'd before he BB'd, and obviously the play at 3rd. Both runs scored.

Kingspoint
07-01-2008, 11:02 PM
Here's the play at Third:

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2008_07_01_pitmlb_cinmlb_1&mode=gameday

FlyerFanatic
07-01-2008, 11:13 PM

i dont think this argument is a good one..its similar to me anyway...like when someone says a player sucks..and someone responds i'd like to see you go out there and play in the pros. thats not a fair comparison...clearly these players are here for a reason...but in terms of them sucking...one should always know its comparison to other professionals.

HeatherC1212
07-02-2008, 12:23 AM
Some umpires do their jobs very well and then there's this crew tonight most of whom should be fired for incompetence. Anyone who watched this game will tell you how many calls this crew blew and I'm more upset over the crappy umpiring job tonight than the Reds losing the game. The umps helped the Reds out with that tonight. I am not happy. :thumbdown

BTW-I'm not saying that the Reds didn't do their own part in the loss tonight but the umps sure helped them out. They also contributed to the loss IMO.

killuminati35
07-02-2008, 12:34 AM
i dont think this argument is a good one..its similar to me anyway...like when someone says a player sucks..and someone responds i'd like to see you go out there and play in the pros. thats not a fair comparison...clearly these players are here for a reason...but in terms of them sucking...one should always know its comparison to other professionals.

I did compare MLB umpires to other professional officials. I singled out NFL Officials as being terrible.

Also, I finally got a chance to see the play at third. On replay, it looked pretty obvious that the ump missed the call. But tag plays from that angle can be really difficult in real time. And yes, it did look like the umpire ejected EE way too fast after that play. But we also have no way of knowing what EE said when he got up off the ground... That would definitely make a difference.

HeatherC1212
07-02-2008, 12:40 AM
They just said on Reds Live that the umpire ejected EE because he thought he threw his glove down. The only problem with that is that EE still had his glove in his hand at the time so it appears to me that the umpire actually blew two calls tonight and EE shouldn't have been thrown from the game. Then again, the call should have been correct in the first place but I digress..... :thumbdown

Blue
07-02-2008, 12:47 AM
They just said on Reds Live that the umpire ejected EE because he thought he threw his glove down. The only problem with that is that EE still had his glove in his hand at the time so it appears to me that the umpire actually blew two calls tonight and EE shouldn't have been thrown from the game. Then again, the call should have been correct in the first place but I digress..... :thumbdown

Umpires really shouldn't be allowed to wear bifocals while working a game.

OesterPoster
07-02-2008, 11:36 AM
Fairchild and Drake actually make Hunter Wendelstadt look good.

That's how bad they are.

OldRed1966
07-02-2008, 12:44 PM
Drake's at 2nd Base tonight and Chad Fairchild's at 3B (he ejected EE).

Let me change my mind about Drake being behind the plate tomorrow...I think it's going to be Fairchild.

Drake's been in the Majors before, but the M's announcer said the other night that he had come back up from the Minors.

Fairchild will be @ 2nd base tonight. They rotate from home to third, to second, to first.

Jack Burton
07-02-2008, 01:08 PM
That ejection of EdE was laughable. That ump, at the least, should be fired and not allowed to set foot on a diamond again.