PDA

View Full Version : Griffey turning it around?

keeganbrick
07-02-2008, 12:58 AM
I know it's a small sample size but Griff has looked real good the last 2 nights. His pitch selection looks a lot better and he is actually having solid at bats. Even though he missed the ball he dove for tonight I'm glad to see him out there trying to make a play on that ball instead of letting it drop as he has before. His speed also looked decent tonight on that double he hit. Hopefully he will be going on a tear soon.

Brutus
07-02-2008, 01:20 AM
I know it's a small sample size but Griff has looked real good the last 2 nights. His pitch selection looks a lot better and he is actually having solid at bats. Even though he missed the ball he dove for tonight I'm glad to see him out there trying to make a play on that ball instead of letting it drop as he has before. His speed also looked decent tonight on that double he hit. Hopefully he will be going on a tear soon.

Though I'm hopeful we're seeing a trend, I'm more inclined to think he's just been the beneficiary of some poor scouting or questionable pitching. The last few nights he's been seeing a lot of offspeed stuff, and he's good enough to adjust to that. It's the fastball that gets into the 90's that's been giving him problems this year due to his deteriorated bat speed.

Griffey still knows what he's doing up there. He's not one of the game's best hitters of all-time for nothing, so it goes without saying he'll have moments of greatness even now. But unfortunately where his mind is that of a Hall-of-Famer, his body is that of an aging individual better than marginal or replacement-level, but no longer elite.

Make no mistake about it: Griffey is, was and will be my favorite player. And I want nothing more than for Griffey to turn on the jets the second half of the season (in a Reds uniform or for someone else) and ride out to the sunset on a high note - especially to see him get a ring. But unfortunately I'm not sure he can sustain this.

goreds2
07-02-2008, 03:08 AM

Now is a good time to trade him?

dmoe
07-02-2008, 08:29 AM
is it just me or have they been doing a lot of Griffey tribute stuff during the tv broadcasts? last night they replayed memorable homeruns...i know they're giving away the KGJ mesh jerseys this weekend and i'm probably reading too much into this, but it feels like they are getting their farewell in while they can.

Ahhhorsepoo
07-02-2008, 09:06 AM
he at least will be with the team until july 15th..

44Magnum
07-02-2008, 09:22 AM
No he is not turning it around.

His lack of speed cost the Reds the game last night. His feeble diving attempt at a ball that would have been caught by an average RF standing up.

durl
07-02-2008, 09:53 AM

His lack of speed cost the Reds the game last night. His feeble diving attempt at a ball that would have been caught by an average RF standing up.

And an "average" fielder would have caught it behind his back with his eyes closed, right?

Root Down
07-02-2008, 11:18 AM

His supposed lack of speed isn't going to make that much of a difference. I personally think he should have laid up and let it fall. However, I wasn't out there in RF last night, one of the best to play the game was.. I'll trust his judgment. As the replay showed he almost had it too. Griffey was & is a great player and I hardly think he would lower the level of play in the Reds outfield (offensive and defensive) especially with Patterson still on the team.

bgwilly31
07-02-2008, 12:11 PM
His supposed lack of speed isn't going to make that much of a difference. I personally think he should have laid up and let it fall. However, I wasn't out there in RF last night, one of the best to play the game was.. I'll trust his judgment. As the replay showed he almost had it too. Griffey was & is a great player and I hardly think he would lower the level of play in the Reds outfield (offensive and defensive) especially with Patterson still on the team.

I can also just about gauruntee he was sitting out in the outfield before the ball was hit with his hands on his knees.

Dont call BUll**** either ive sat and watched him do it game in and game out.

Dont you think one of the best in the game would have a better ready stance than hands on his knees? Were talking throughout the entire pitch.

Ever heard of creeping.? If you havent need not reply.

Jack Burton
07-02-2008, 12:13 PM
I agree that it was quite a pathetic attempt last night, should've just kept it in front. He's lucky the All-Star game is a popularity contest because he wouldn't be sniffing it otherwise.

bounty37h
07-02-2008, 12:45 PM
all personal opinion, I was personally glad he tried to make that catch, at least he showed a sign of life attempting to, and Weathers certainly felt that way too-commented on great to see him trying for that, what a pitcher wants to see, his defense trying to make the play to save them. He probbaly should have held up, but I have been in that spot too, and when you think ya got it, ya move on it sometimes. With this crowd though, if he hadnt dove, you same people would be whining he doesnt give neough effort, lollygaged up to it, blah blah blah.

bgwilly31
07-02-2008, 01:11 PM
all personal opinion, I was personally glad he tried to make that catch, at least he showed a sign of life attempting to, and Weathers certainly felt that way too-commented on great to see him trying for that, what a pitcher wants to see, his defense trying to make the play to save them. He probbaly should have held up, but I have been in that spot too, and when you think ya got it, ya move on it sometimes. With this crowd though, if he hadnt dove, you same people would be whining he doesnt give neough effort, lollygaged up to it, blah blah blah.

My point was not personal opinion thank you.

How about actually going to a game and watching him in the outfield. He walks to his position every inning.

And he also sits with his hands on his knees nearly every pitch.

Thats a fact sir.

Krawhitham
07-02-2008, 01:24 PM

Thats a fact sir.

He sits down in the outfield, WOW. You would have thought they would show that on ESPN or something

Ahhhorsepoo
07-02-2008, 01:54 PM
walking to the outfield shows he can't play anymore.. if thats the case todd coffey was a hall of famer.... Nice logic..

BGWillys HOF:

Todd Coffey...

dont need to look at the rest to know this HOF is bogus..

Root Down
07-02-2008, 01:54 PM
I can also just about gauruntee he was sitting out in the outfield before the ball was hit with his hands on his knees.

Dont call BUll**** either ive sat and watched him do it game in and game out.

Dont you think one of the best in the game would have a better ready stance than hands on his knees? Were talking throughout the entire pitch.

Ever heard of creeping.? If you havent need not reply.

Yeah I've heard of creeping, done it a bit myself as I played CF through high school. If that's true about his hands on his knees, then yeah he needs to be a bit more on the ball. However, I've never seen it and they certainly don't show it on FSN. I would think Welsh would pick up on that and tear him up about it.

durl
07-02-2008, 02:15 PM
We need to get out of the mentality that we know how another person can best play their position. Griffey may start with his hands on his knees but that may work for him. Amateurs on here telling a Gold Glove player how to play the position is interesting. No doubt the guy has lost a step. People here think he's suddenly lost the knowledge, too.

Guys like Phillips and Sheffield wave their bats around like crazy, but it works for them. Some pitchers use herky-jerky deliveries because it works for them.

Seriously, though, I think there is so much wasted expertise here. There are many on here that would make great managers at the major league level. They can make out better lineups, they're not afraid to trade top-performing players, and instruct on hitting and fielding. I would guess that they don't even coach a little league team, though.

bounty37h
07-02-2008, 03:41 PM
My point was not personal opinion thank you.

How about actually going to a game and watching him in the outfield. He walks to his position every inning.

Thats a fact sir.

Wow dude, overreact much??? Might need to step away from things and settle down htere parnter. I was saying the opinion of whether or not he should hav edove for hte ball or let it drop. Redread and think through what I said, try to comprehend things, spell out words and ask questions if you need to-in no place did I mention anything related to your post. Good day to you too sir. Would love to go to a game, you offering to drive to NC and pick me up for the next one :)?

bounty37h
07-02-2008, 03:43 PM
We need to get out of the mentality that we know how another person can best play their position. Griffey may start with his hands on his knees but that may work for him. Amateurs on here telling a Gold Glove player how to play the position is interesting. No doubt the guy has lost a step. People here think he's suddenly lost the knowledge, too.

Guys like Phillips and Sheffield wave their bats around like crazy, but it works for them. Some pitchers use herky-jerky deliveries because it works for them.

Seriously, though, I think there is so much wasted expertise here. There are many on here that would make great managers at the major league level. They can make out better lineups, they're not afraid to trade top-performing players, and instruct on hitting and fielding. I would guess that they don't even coach a little league team, though.

:notworthy:clap::beerme:

Redeye fly
07-02-2008, 04:26 PM
I love the point that Griffey "cost us the game" last night. I'm a huge Griffey fan for who he is as a person and what he's been as a player over the course of his career. Now we all know he's at the end. But as far as him costing us the game... I guess let's forget the fact that the entire offense once again slept walk through the game until the latter innings. Let's forget that Brandon Phillips was thrown out on the base paths twice. Let's forgot due to Votto's lack of speed or Mark Berry's lack of sense, or both, we had one run cut down at the plate. Let's forget that the normally lights out Burton gave up a run, and the recently pretty much lights out Weathers gave up 2. Let's forget that we may have the crappiest bench in major league baseball, and our hopes of winning or tying the game at the end rested on the bat of Corey Patterson. And let's forget Griffey had a pretty good night at the plate, even getting a double off a tough lefthander to boot, and participating in a throw out at home plate of his own (though it was probably an incorrect call).

But yeah, it was all Griffey's fault.

Ahhhorsepoo
07-02-2008, 04:38 PM
the same people that said griffey cost us the game argued with me a few weeks ago that dunn who wasnt even as close on a dive didnt cost us the game.. sorry but people need to know what side of the fence they are on and stay there..

Hondo
07-02-2008, 05:00 PM
Why can't we blame Corey Pattersons .188 Batting Average and 2 full months Starting and leading off for much of the season....

I am satisfied with that verdict...

Oh and Dusty leaves his Pitchers in way too long all the time...

And has No idea how to use Cordero...

Jr's Boy
07-02-2008, 08:35 PM
I agree that it was quite a pathetic attempt last night, should've just kept it in front. He's lucky the All-Star game is a popularity contest because he wouldn't be sniffing it otherwise.

Well during his career Junior has plenty of highlight reels to attest to his work in the outfield.Father time waits for no one,he's been banged up beyond belief,screws holding his hamstrings together,so he made an effort and he just missed.The hatred on this board for one of the best ever to play the game,and a true hall of famer, is unfathomable.
A lot of this pablum coming from people are the same one's who would be in awe of him if they met him.I hold my tongue to the criticism about Griffey on this board for the most part,but sometimes its just too much.But for the sake of sounding old,some of the poster's on this board were not even born when Ken Griffey JR was the king,or they were in diaper's.
But there are plenty of young people who do appreciate what Junior has done for the game.And the leadership and experience he has brought to the Cincinnati Reds,especially to the young player's is unquestionable.
And back before the fans had a chance to vote for this ''popularity''contest as you say,Junior was already a mainstay in the all star game.

bgwilly31
07-02-2008, 09:43 PM
He sits down in the outfield, WOW.* You would have thought they would show that on ESPN or somethingYeah dude, hands on his knees=sitting down.WOW:)

walking to the outfield shows he can't play anymore.. if thats the case todd coffey was a hall of famer.... Nice logic.. BGWillys HOF:Todd Coffey...dont need to look at the rest to know this HOF is bogus..

i guess you forgot about hands on his knees....And all around just plain lazy, In every part of the game. Running out ground balls, starting hr walk offs too soon, not running out fly outs. etc etc etc Nice try with the coffey thing you had me rolling over here.:rolleyes:

Yeah I've heard of creeping, done it a bit myself as I played CF through high school.* If that's true about his hands on his knees, then yeah he needs to be a bit more on the ball.* However, I've never seen it and they certainly don't show it on FSN.* I would think Welsh would pick up on that and tear him up about it.

Welsh is paid to keep the fans Watching/buying/loving the reds & most importantly loving griffey. They will hardly ever bad mouth griffey. Let alone Focus on him out in the outfield not ready for the ball. :lol: That's comical that you even believe that they would. Its funny even imagining them doing it.Go to a game and see for yourself.

Griffey may start with his hands on his knees but that may work for him. .
:lol::lol:
Its hard for me even to put together a response for this. Im laughing so hard.

Wow dude, overreact much???* Might need to step away from things and settle down htere parnter.* I was saying the opinion of whether or not he should hav edove for hte ball or let it drop.* Redread and think through what I said, try to comprehend things, spell out words and ask questions if you need to-in no place did I mention anything related to your post.* Good day to you too sir.* Would love to go to a game, you offering to drive to NC and pick me up for the next one :)?:lol::lol:You guys are killing me tonight.:lol::lol:

I love the point that Griffey "cost us the game" last night.* I'm a huge Griffey fan for who he is as a person and what he's been as a player* over the course of his career. Now we all know he's at the end.* But yeah, it was all Griffey's fault.

I dont recall anybody saying griffey cost us the game. It was definitely a part of the game deciding plays. But yes your right. many plays last night concluded the game. Griffeys was a very important one.

Well during his career Junior has plenty of highlight reels to attest to his work in the outfield.Father time waits for no one,he's been banged up beyond belief,screws holding his hamstrings together,so he made an effort and he just missed.The hatred on this board for one of the best ever to play the game,and a true hall of famer, is unfathomable.A lot of this pablum coming from people are the same one's who would be in awe of him if they met him.I hold my tongue to the criticism about Griffey on this board for the most part,but sometimes its just too much.But for the sake of sounding old,some of the poster's on this board were not even born when Ken Griffey JR was the king,or they were in diaper's.But there are plenty of young people who do appreciate what Junior has done for the game.And the leadership and experience he has brought to the Cincinnati Reds,especially to the young player's is unquestionable.And back before the fans had a chance to vote for this ''popularity''contest as you say,Junior was already a mainstay in the all star game.

Preach it loud!.
:lol:

Why the hell should i give a **** about what griffey did with seattle.?

and BTW i was huge griffey fan when he played for seattle. Ive hated him and the way hes' played the game ever since he came to the reds. Lazy baseball is not baseball. You keep your hands on your knees in any position out in the field in highschool or college and watch how long you last without the coach barking up your butt. You walk out to your position, or jog out a ground ball and see what happens to you. Same should apply in the majors. And GRIFFEY WAS/IS the poster child for this type of play.

Lockdwn11
07-02-2008, 09:53 PM
Guys, Bgwilly is more of a griffey hater then he is a Reds fan go and look at all his posts and I would say 95% are all about how he hates Junior. He doesn't add much to this board other then the fact that he thinks Griffey sucks so I wouldn't waste to much time on him.

07-02-2008, 10:00 PM
Yeah dude, hands on his knees=sitting down.WOW:)

i guess you forgot about hands on his knees....And all around just plain lazy, In every part of the game. Running out ground balls, starting hr walk offs too soon, not running out fly outs. etc etc etc Nice try with the coffey thing you had me rolling over here.:rolleyes:

Welsh is paid to keep the fans Watching/buying/loving the reds & most importantly loving griffey. They will hardly ever bad mouth griffey. Let alone Focus on him out in the outfield not ready for the ball. :lol: That's comical that you even believe that they would. Its funny even imagining them doing it.Go to a game and see for yourself.

:lol::lol:You guys are killing me tonight.:lol::lol:

I dont recall anybody saying griffey cost us the game. It was definitely a part of the game deciding plays. But yes your right. many plays last night concluded the game. Griffeys was a very important one.

Preach it loud!.

and BTW i was huge griffey fan when he played for seattle. Ive hated him and the way hes' played the game ever since he came to the reds. Lazy baseball is not baseball. You keep your hands on your knees in any position out in the field in highschool or college and watch how long you last without the coach barking up your butt. You walk out to your position, or jog out a ground ball and see what happens to you. Same should apply in the majors. And GRIFFEY WAS/IS the poster child for this type of play.

I am sorry but this is the most ignorant and offensive post I have ever seen on this board. Griffey is not lazy, ask any of his teammates, or coaches or beat writers, or anyone who watches him on a daily basis.

Hands on his knees = sitting?????!!!!!!!!

Are you freakin' kidding me????? Many outfielders start with their hands on their knees. It is about getting a good view of the pitch as it is being delivered. I have seen Willie Mays, Jim Edmonds, and hundreds of other outfielders start with their hands on their knees. My seven year old niece knows the game well enough to know that good outfielders start with their hands on their knees, all the time.

Griffey is 38 years old and has played the game hard for 20 years. If he looks like he is slow, it is because he literally has the muscles of his legs screwed to the bone, a result of so many injuries, injuries he incurred from playing the game as hard as he could.

ChatterRed
07-02-2008, 10:36 PM
Yeah dude, hands on his knees=sitting down.WOW:)

:lol::lol:You guys are killing me tonight.:lol::lol:

Preach it loud!.

:mooner:

44Magnum
07-03-2008, 09:16 AM
Those who can't accept that Jr. and Dunn are lazy are simply blind loyalist! :(

Ahhhorsepoo
07-03-2008, 09:40 AM
or know that griffey is slowed by injuries.. dunn is slowed by............................

Fon Duc Tow
07-03-2008, 09:45 AM
We need to get out of the mentality that we know how another person can best play their position. Griffey may start with his hands on his knees but that may work for him.

Show me one ounce of his 2008 game that says "hustle," win fabulous prizes.

Amateurs on here telling a Gold Glove player how to play the position is interesting. No doubt the guy has lost a step. People here think he's suddenly lost the knowledge, too.

Griffey WAS a gold glover. In the 90s. This is 2008. I'm sure Eric Davis still has the knowledge that made him such a great CF. Maybe we should play Davis in CF next to Griffey? Bat Davis 4th too. Because, you know, he's a legacy. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Wow, and the way you all pile on bgwilly for basically stating the unpopular truth. I'll bet you all were something else back in Salem in the 1800s... :D I mean, Dunn and Griffey are lackadaisical ballplayers. I didn't even think that was debatable. Well, remember this is a Reds Fan message board, so if there is one place left in the world where anyone would think KGJ and Dunner don't just go through the motions, this would be it. ;)

Ahhhorsepoo
07-03-2008, 09:49 AM
Fon do you watch any games.. I can just point to the game 2 nights ago with his double down the line where he was in HIS full sprint mode just to get a double..

which address would you like to ship my prizes to?

Fon Duc Tow
07-03-2008, 10:12 AM
Fon do you watch any games.. I can just point to the game 2 nights ago with his double down the line where he was in HIS full sprint mode just to get a double..

which address would you like to ship my prizes to?

I know the hit you speak of. Took me by surprise too. Wasn't that the night when he dove for that flyball in RF too? I was like "wow, that's strange. It almost looks like he is trying out there!" :confused: I don't even know how this is debatable. 99.9 % of the time, Griffey doesn't leg out ground balls, stands in the box watching almost HRs, and doesn't hustle in the field.

Its cool though. I like KGJ too. :beerme:

As for your prize, you win: A BRAND NEW CARdboard box filled with Fon Duc Tow's unpaid bills.
:D

Ahhhorsepoo
07-03-2008, 10:55 AM
SWEET! maybe I can use them to clean up the mess Bleeds leaves when he spews made up facts..

durl
07-03-2008, 03:13 PM
Here's a fun little project for everyone:

Watch 4-5 televised games in their entirety and mark down the number of ground balls hit to the infield and how many times the batter sprints all the way down the baseline. Reds games can be included (make sure to evaluate BOTH teams) but try to watch games featuring other teams.

It would be interesting for people to post their data.

bgwilly31
07-03-2008, 06:05 PM
Here's a fun little project for everyone:

Watch 4-5 televised games in their entirety and mark down the number of ground balls hit to the infield and how many times the batter sprints all the way down the baseline. Reds games can be included (make sure to evaluate BOTH teams) but try to watch games featuring other teams.

It would be interesting for people to post their data.

Thanks but nothing new for me.

Of course teams have guys like this. And every player is guilty of it at some point in the mLB.

Griffey is guilty of it EVERYTIME!

And in no matter what the situation.

Ive seen him do it in the BOTTOM of the 8th. In a game were down 1 run. With men on 1st and third. Weak ground ball off griffeys bat. Griffey doesnt absolutely bust butt down the line to tie the game.

Dont give me the "his leg is bolted together cry baby stuff." Its the bottom of the 8th. This is it. do or die most likely and he cant even hustle through the bag for that.

3 steps before the bag he was standing straight up because he had already backed off.