PDA

View Full Version : Opinions wanted...

Playadlc
07-02-2008, 11:14 AM
Okay, here is the situation...

Me and a friend of mine are coaching an 18u travel team. Next weekend we are heading to Virginia Beach to play in a tournament starting next Wednesday and ending on Sunday.

My friend's girlfriend is also making the trip and we are all going to room together. So in one double bed room it is going to be me, my friend and his girlfriend totaling three for the room.

So I mention that with the hotel room being $110 a night that splitting it three ways will not be that bad. He quickly replies that since I will have one of the beds to myself, that we should only split it two ways, not three, and basically says that this point shouldn't even be up for debate. I honestly see his argument, but we are paying for rooms, not beds.

What do you guys think? Should I pay for half of the room or a third of it?

SteelSD
07-02-2008, 11:43 AM

Me and a friend of mine are coaching an 18u travel team. Next weekend we are heading to Virginia Beach to play in a tournament starting next Wednesday and ending on Sunday.

My friend's girlfriend is also making the trip and we are all going to room together. So in one double bed room it is going to be me, my friend and his girlfriend totaling three for the room.

So I mention that with the hotel room being $110 a night that splitting it three ways will not be that bad. He quickly replies that since I will have one of the beds to myself, that we should only split it two ways, not three, and basically says that this point shouldn't even be up for debate. I honestly see his argument, but we are paying for rooms, not beds.

Tell your friend that the only way you're paying for half the room is if his girlfriend sleeps in your bed rather than his. Then tell him that because his girlfriend gets the whole back seat to herself on the drive down that she has to pay for half the gas.

See if his silly math works out for him then.

RedsBaron
07-02-2008, 11:46 AM
I'm tempted to say it depends upon which bed the girlfriend takes, yours or his.
I agree with you-each person should pay a third. That said, the difference between $55 and $36.67 may not be enough to argue about, but if your friend argues about it then he may not be much of a friend.

flyer85
07-02-2008, 11:47 AM
tell him to leave her at home.

Highlifeman21
07-02-2008, 11:52 AM

What were those old forms of payment for hitchhikers? Grass, cash, or tail? If he wants to argue over the cash, then his girlfriend can make up the difference in tail.

He's probably figuring that he's paying for him and her, and you're only paying for you, so he sees it as a 50/50 split, instead of he has 2/3 to pay, and you have 1/3 to pay.

Draw him a nice pie chart if you need. Illustrations always help those slower than you.

SeeinRed
07-02-2008, 11:53 AM
So... She isn't a person, she is one of his possesions?

It would cost her the same amount to get a seperate room as you. You are doing her a favor by cutting the cost. If she doesn't want to pay for a room to stay in, or he doesn't want to pay for her to stay then she should be there. If he wants to pay half, I agree with flyer, tell him to leave her behind. You don't pay per bed, you pay per room.

Chip R
07-02-2008, 11:54 AM
I'm tempted to say it depends upon which bed the girlfriend takes, yours or his.

There you go. Tell him the only way you pay half is if she sleeps with you half the night. Seems like a fair deal.

Highlifeman21
07-02-2008, 11:57 AM
There you go. Tell him the only way you pay half is if she sleeps with you half the night. Seems like a fair deal.

Make sure it's the 1st half. Unless you're into 2nds...

Roy Tucker
07-02-2008, 11:59 AM
I agree that you should pay 1/3. There are more resources in the room than beds (bathroom, closets, TV, etc.) that she will use. Seems fairly obvious to me.

However, if its obvious and your friend still insists on you paying 1/2, money must be an issue with him (doesn't have much, is a cheapskate, etc. etc.).

Chalk the $20 difference up to experience. Maybe burst in while the girlfriend is showering and get a cheap thrill for the $20.

Chip R
07-02-2008, 12:07 PM
Make sure it's the 1st half. Unless you're into 2nds...

Well, I think that goes without saying. :)

Another way of looking at it is that some hotels have Spectravision and you have to pay so much for a movie. With your friend and his girlfriend, you could have something along the lines of that. :D

Johnny Footstool
07-02-2008, 12:22 PM
Pay for half the room, and then spend the rest of the trip complaining about his girlfriend snoring and farting in her sleep.

Red in Chicago
07-02-2008, 12:40 PM
there's probably a reason the room is only $110 / night...maybe you can get the bedbugs to chip in as well ;)

durl
07-02-2008, 12:45 PM
I think you should only have to pay 1/3.

What I think would be fun to do, if you could manage it, is to try to get a room for yourself and leave him to pay for an entire room. I wonder if he would argue with the hotel that he should pay for only half a room since only one bed will be used.

KittyDuran
07-02-2008, 12:59 PM
I agree that you should pay 1/3. There are more resources in the room than beds (bathroom, closets, TV, etc.) that she will use. Seems fairly obvious to me.

However, if its obvious and your friend still insists on you paying 1/2, money must be an issue with him (doesn't have much, is a cheapskate, etc. etc.).

Chalk the $20 difference up to experience. Maybe burst in while the girlfriend is showering and get a cheap thrill for the $20.You sound like you've had experience... :D;)

KittyDuran
07-02-2008, 01:02 PM
So... She isn't a person, she is one of his possesions?

It would cost her the same amount to get a seperate room as you. You are doing her a favor by cutting the cost. If she doesn't want to pay for a room to stay in, or he doesn't want to pay for her to stay then she should be there. If he wants to pay half, I agree with flyer, tell him to leave her behind. You don't pay per bed, you pay per room.:thumbup: I also agree with RB - this guy is a friend? The answer is paying a third.

KittyDuran
07-02-2008, 01:03 PM
I think you should only have to pay 1/3.

What I think would be fun to do, if you could manage it, is to try to get a room for yourself and leave him to pay for an entire room. I wonder if he would argue with the hotel that he should pay for only half a room since only one bed will be used.Oooo... that is so cruel! I LIKE IT! :D

RedlegJake
07-02-2008, 01:04 PM
Eh. I'd pay the half. Friendship ain't worth a $20 squabble BUT I'd review how my friend looks at the idea of fair. If he's really broke and this trip is a squeeze for him I'd pay half and be glad to help him out. If it's pretty equal money situations then I'd tell him I'll pay half but I think you're taking advantage. Then I'd point out if you go to dinner you're NOT splitting the tab down the middle. Of course, if she's not a serious girlfriend then you might mention any of the more salacious suggestions given - or offer to videotape the proceedings and sell the tape to "Real Girlfriends Exposed" or some such website. Then you could all go for free basically :p:.

TeamSelig
07-02-2008, 01:14 PM
Sounds like he is bringing her along, so that would be his responsibility to pay her part. I think the real issue is the fact that he invited her and will have to pay for her portion of the room & doesn't want to ask her to pay.

I think it really depends on how good of a friend he is. Honestly though, I think "friends" like these constantly make questionable decisions. If this isn't the first time he has done something stupid, he isn't worth your time.

Dom Heffner
07-02-2008, 01:28 PM
This should be under things that drive you crazy as well.

It should be divided into thirds. You aren't paying for beds, you are paying for a room. That includes the bathroom, roof, microwave, refrigerator, and all other services.

To diminish it to beds is pretty crappy.

I had a relative who used to come out to eat with me and bring his wife and when it came time to tally up the bill, he said "We'll just divide this in two since we're a couple and you're here."

Gee, thanks.

Where do people come up with this stuff?

gonelong
07-02-2008, 01:28 PM
So I mention that with the hotel room being $110 a night that splitting it three ways will not be that bad. He quickly replies that since I will have one of the beds to myself, that we should only split it two ways, not three, and basically says that this point shouldn't even be up for debate.

Given only this info, its too gray too call.

But if I had to answer I'd say you are paying for beds, otherwise you'd have booked a room with a single bed (cheaper). So in essence, you are paying for the 2 beds. From his perspective he is paying for one of the beds, and you are paying for one of the beds.

If I was in the situation I'd just invite someone along myself and call it a day. Not sure your age/situation, but I'd suspect one of your buddies, neighbors, kids, wife, girl friend, Dad, or someone would come along for the ride.

This is what I'd do at 38 ... at 22 or so I'd have told him to get bent.

GL

Heath
07-02-2008, 01:44 PM
I'll tell them to get a marriage license.

:D

I'd pick up the tab on your own room. Worth the hassle.

LoganBuck
07-02-2008, 02:00 PM
It should be split 3 ways.

Quite frankly, if he wants to bring his girlfriend they should have their own room. I don't care what they do in it, but they are putting you in an uncomfortable situation.

RedsBaron
07-02-2008, 02:07 PM
Why don't you, your "friend" and his girl rent a hotel room that just has one king sized bed? :evil:

Sea Ray
07-02-2008, 02:27 PM
This is an easy one and you have gotten some clever responses but in all seriousness spell it out this way:

So the way your friend sees it she should stay in the room for free. In other words if it was just you and your friend, you'd still be out for 50%. If he brings her, he thinks you should still pay the same amount? Spell it out for him that way and see if it still makes sense.

Now that your friend brings his babe, resulting in a much different situation, he doesn't expect to cut you a break in the cost of the room. It's a huge loss of privacy for you. I don't think it's appropriate for him to bring her at all. It should be a guy's weekend but that's another story. The dynamics of the weekend are totally different if he's bringing her and you deserve significant compensation for putting up with the hassle.

KittyDuran
07-02-2008, 02:56 PM
Now that your friend brings his babe, resulting in a much different situation, he doesn't expect to cut you a break in the cost of the room. It's a huge loss of privacy for you. I don't think it's appropriate for him to bring her at all. It should be a guy's weekend but that's another story. The dynamics of the weekend are totally different if he's bringing her and you deserve significant compensation for putting up with the hassle.That's another good point in those whole situation. Loss of privacy and convenience...and am speaking mostly of the bathroom situation. It's bad enough having to share with another person - but three people and one the other gender? Ugh!

Johnny Footstool
07-02-2008, 05:26 PM
Make your friend and his girlfriend use the bathroom together.

thatcoolguy_22
07-03-2008, 01:29 AM
I live in VA Beach and if you're only paying 110$ a night you'd be better off sleeping in the car and letting your friend foot the whole bill. But either way is it really worth an additional 20 bucks or so?

The Baumer
07-03-2008, 04:21 AM
People can get weird when it comes to money, unfortunately. I wouldn't end your friendship over it but I'd acknowledge that you shouldn't involve him in anymore future joint ventures. Go ahead and pay the extra 20 dollars for the room but be sure to ask for a separate tab when eating out and don't fall for the "Hey dude, can you buy me this? I'll pay you back at the hotel" line or any similar deals. If he's a good friend, he'll notice why you are doing this and correct his approach. But if he gets offended that is a sign that he is upset because he can no longer manipulate you. If the latter occurs, I'd cut him out of more than just money relations.

SandyD
07-03-2008, 07:56 AM
If you bring it up again with him, I'd suggest splitting the difference.

If 3 adults are renting a 2 bedroom house or apartment, the occupant who has a private room should probably pay more then a third, less than half of the rent. (All other expenses, of course, should be split 3 ways.)

Tell him you are giving up privacy/space, since you're sharing a room with 2 others rather than 1. Ask him to pay half plus $50 or something like that.

Of course, it's not worth risking a friendship. And if she's not contributing, it could be a hardship on him finacially, so consider that before bringing it up again.

Caveat Emperor
07-03-2008, 08:02 AM
You could always shame him into paying by bringing up the issue with him in front of his girlfriend. Nothing makes a guy look good like trying to worm his way out of paying $20 to a friend.

Johnny Footstool
07-03-2008, 11:12 AM
You could always shame him into paying by bringing up the issue with him in front of his girlfriend. Nothing makes a guy look good like trying to worm his way out of paying $20 to a friend.

Ouch.

We have a winner!

15fan
07-03-2008, 10:04 PM
Is she hot?

That is the fundamental question that must be answered before the discussion can proceed in a logical and orderly manner.

The Baumer
07-04-2008, 01:23 AM
Post Pics Of The Gf.

GAC
07-04-2008, 06:33 AM
Why don't you, your "friend" and his girl rent a hotel room that just has one king sized bed? :evil:

The scene from "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles" just flashed through my mind.... Those aren't pillows!" :p:

Are you all driving there together? Is the gas being split in half or three ways?

KittyDuran
07-08-2008, 05:55 AM
***BUMP***

OK, the weekend is over... how did it go, Playadlc?

Caseyfan21
07-08-2008, 11:30 AM
Didn't see this thread until now...but I'm surprised no one else brought up this logic.

Usually hotel rates are for 2 people max. At least when me and 2 friends booked rooms for a trip we always had to add a little extra for the third person. If I were you, I would have booked the room for 2 people and split that cost 50%. Then, when you showed up inform the desk that you have an additional person and whatever that charge is hand it over to him. It wouldn't have benefitted you as much as the 1/3 split but you could still stick his cheapness on him in front of his girl when you arrived. That would have sparked some discussion in the other bed over the weekend, haha.