PDA

View Full Version : Fogg back soon?

Red Daddy
07-02-2008, 12:42 PM
Josh Fogg pitched his second very good game for Louisville last night. He pitched 8 shutout innings. This just off the heels of a complete game. He is probably going to be back soon and Thompson will go back for more seasoning.

Anybody think Fogg can get it together and pitch a sub 4.50 era thru the end of the season?

BEETTLEBUG
07-02-2008, 12:58 PM
Maybe he can pitch OK and get a prospect for him at trade deadline.

RedsFanInBama
07-02-2008, 01:15 PM
AAA players aren't in the majors for a reason. I don't want Fogg anywhere near the bump for the Reds the rest of this season unless its mop-up duty.

Krawhitham
07-02-2008, 01:25 PM
Josh Fogg pitched his second very good game for Louisville last night. He pitched 8 shutout innings. This just off the heels of a complete game. He is probably going to be back soon and Thompson will go back for more seasoning.

Anybody think Fogg can get it together and pitch a sub 4.50 era thru the end of the season?

Thompson better do well today or we are stuck with Fogg

Root Down
07-02-2008, 02:02 PM
Thompson is performing pretty well, is it possible that he is up for the season? The only reason I'm thinking he could go back down is because of the surgery he not all that long ago. I'm not sure he can pitch enough innings with out risking injury to finish the season. Even with this, Fogg was terrible before he got hurt I would much rather see Thompson out there than him.

Hondo
07-02-2008, 05:09 PM
Hopefully Philadelphia wants Josh Fogg then... would rather see Homer Bailey pitch, for better or worse up here than Josh Fogg ever don a Reds uniform again...

Kingspoint
07-02-2008, 08:52 PM
Fogg needs to give rest to either

A) Thompson, who hasn't pitched this many innings since the start of Spring Training to this point in the season in his entire career.

B) Arroyo, who needs a stint on the 15-Day DL, or

C) Harang, who if he could miss a start or two might be able to get his arm enough rest to get back to pitching games where his OPS against is under .700, instead of the .900 where it's been most of the last month.

Kingspoint
07-02-2008, 08:54 PM
Thompson is performing pretty well, is it possible that he is up for the season? The only reason I'm thinking he could go back down is because of the surgery he not all that long ago. I'm not sure he can pitch enough innings with out risking injury to finish the season. Even with this, Fogg was terrible before he got hurt I would much rather see Thompson out there than him.

Tonight, from the very first batter, every one of his fastballs were 89-91, with some of them falling down to 86-87. They should be at 94-95 where they get that extra bite that makes it harder to hit. As a result of the decreased velocity, it also effects his control. He's hit a wall.

Root Down
07-02-2008, 09:31 PM
Tonight, from the very first batter, every one of his fastballs were 89-91, with some of them falling down to 86-87. They should be at 94-95 where they get that extra bite that makes it harder to hit. As a result of the decreased velocity, it also effects his control. He's hit a wall.

This may be what I was worried about. I wouldn't think it would happen this soon but your right, before tonight he was right around 95. Much slower this evening.

Red Daddy
07-03-2008, 12:55 PM
Fogg has pitched decent in his career before now, and it just seems to me that he could again. We all hated Lohse last year and he's tearing it up with St. Louis right now. I don't feel like Thompson is ready to pitch right now and Bailey is working out issues. No need to destroy him now when Fogg is here. I don't like it either but it's the least of 3 evils.

Kingspoint
07-04-2008, 03:37 AM
For the record, the REDS had no business bringing Thompson up to the Majors for this season. It's moves like this that reinforces my lack of faith in Jockety.

At least Jockety sent him back down where he belongs. I hope he stays there the rest of the season and continues to strengthen his arm.

He got it!
07-04-2008, 09:38 AM
The revolving 5th starter door continues. For fear of being mocked by pitch count lovers and Dusty bashers I would suggest a 4 man rotation. I'm old school though and think people baby these young pitchers arms too much. I know Arroyo would be in favor of it.

Kingspoint
07-04-2008, 03:11 PM
Fogg needs to give rest to either

A) Thompson, who hasn't pitched this many innings since the start of Spring Training to this point in the season in his entire career.

B) Arroyo, who needs a stint on the 15-Day DL, or

C) Harang, who if he could miss a start or two might be able to get his arm enough rest to get back to pitching games where his OPS against is under .700, instead of the .900 where it's been most of the last month.

That's 2 out of 3 now that Harang is going to miss a start. I'm sure they'll evaluate him before it's his turn again in 6 days and see if he should miss one more start. Again, one or two missed starts should do it for him.

Only Arroyo needs now to have his arm "corrected" to get him back to where he used to be when he first became a RED, and the whole starting staff for 2009 will be ready.

LouisvilleCARDS
07-04-2008, 08:26 PM
For the record, the REDS had no business bringing Thompson up to the Majors for this season. It's moves like this that reinforces my lack of faith in Jockety.

At least Jockety sent him back down where he belongs. I hope he stays there the rest of the season and continues to strengthen his arm.

Yeah, because his whopping 3 starts, two of which were pretty darn solid IMO, completely ruins someone's career. :rolleyes:

Noosh
07-04-2008, 09:20 PM

Yeah, because his whopping 3 starts, two of which were pretty darn solid IMO, completely ruins someone's career. :rolleyes:

Not to mention the Reds had absolutely no other option at the time. Fogg was on the DL and Bailey had just proven himself not ready. Did you want them to bring Belisle back up? Start Affeldt who has been inconsistent in the bullpen role? Maloney? Any other great ideas to fill the 5th spot at the time?

Yes, despite having two solid outings Thompson probably wasn't ready, but the Reds were handcuffed by their situation of Fogg being injured and Bailey and Belisle proving themselves unworthy of the spot. Walt didn't just blindly decide Daryl was ready for the majors based on two good AAA starts.

Now that Fogg is healthy again and showed great improvement in the minors they've rightly decided to reward him with the spot for which he was signed to fill in the first place. No need to be sour about the DT situation. He showed promise for the future while reminding us that the future may still be a little ways down the road.

bgwilly31
07-05-2008, 10:39 AM
Today is the day....:bash:

Kingspoint
07-05-2008, 09:05 PM
Not to mention the Reds had absolutely no other option at the time. Fogg was on the DL and Bailey had just proven himself not ready. Did you want them to bring Belisle back up? Start Affeldt who has been inconsistent in the bullpen role? Maloney? Any other great ideas to fill the 5th spot at the time?

Yes, despite having two solid outings Thompson probably wasn't ready, but the Reds were handcuffed by their situation of Fogg being injured and Bailey and Belisle proving themselves unworthy of the spot. Walt didn't just blindly decide Daryl was ready for the majors based on two good AAA starts.

Now that Fogg is healthy again and showed great improvement in the minors they've rightly decided to reward him with the spot for which he was signed to fill in the first place. No need to be sour about the DT situation. He showed promise for the future while reminding us that the future may still be a little ways down the road.

Fogg has been healthy for a month. Maloney was available, Affeldt was available, etc.. So, no. Thompson had no business being up in the Majors, but Jockety corrected his mistake and sent him back down before the damage would be too great to him.

FWIW, Fogg has given up 1 run in 6 innings tonight.

captainmorgan07
07-05-2008, 09:11 PM
Very Very good outing by Fogg tonite. He wasn't exactly facing a great lineup but he made some good pitches. Hopefully his confidence will continue to grow.

ChatterRed
07-05-2008, 10:49 PM
Very Very good outing by Fogg tonite. He wasn't exactly facing a great lineup but he made some good pitches. Hopefully his confidence will continue to grow.

I disagree. I was at the game and it seemed like the poor hitting Nats were hitting him at will. Don't forget that Jay Bruce saved a HR over the CF fence. Fogg did settle down the last 2 innings, but I really wasn't impressed and felt he was on the brink every one of the first 3 to 4 innings. Don't let his statline fool you.

Kingspoint
07-05-2008, 10:51 PM
....and the poor-hitting Nats also hit Cordero really well, too.

They probably just get a little more up for the REDS......Kearns, Lopez, Young, Boone...

RedsFanInBama
07-05-2008, 11:31 PM
Fogg did a good job. Much better than I anticipated and for a fifth starter, it was a very good outing. That's what he is, a fifth starter. So you have to evaluate him based on that. He kept us in the game, and that is all you can ask for from the back of the rotation.

Kingspoint
07-05-2008, 11:34 PM
I'm sure, too, that Fogg was disappointed that he only gave the team 6 innings after going at least 8 each of the last 3 games. I'm looking for another good start from him next time, too.

REDS are winning right now.

Noosh
07-06-2008, 03:04 AM
Fogg has been healthy for a month. Maloney was available, Affeldt was available, etc.. So, no. Thompson had no business being up in the Majors, but Jockety corrected his mistake and sent him back down before the damage would be too great to him.

FWIW, Fogg has given up 1 run in 6 innings tonight.

Preface: I just replied to you in another thread. I promise I'm not hunting for your posts to dispute them.

But anyways, Fogg was put on the DL on June 1st, and made his first rehab start on June 26th, so no, he hasn't been healthy for a month. Closer to about 10 days. Should he not have had any rehab starts? Bring him right back in for the 5th spot after being terrible and not proving to us that he has improved or is even physically recovered? And Thompson had been out-pitching Maloney, so how would that be the smarter move? Affeldt hasn't pitched 2 consecutive solid innings this year, what makes you think he could pitch 5 or 6? I'm just not sure I understand why this situation was so detrimental. It didn't cost the Reds anything. With any offensive support DT could have gone 2-1.

ChatterRed
07-06-2008, 10:41 AM
I actually have more confidence in Thompson than I do Fogg. But that is just from being at the games and watching them pitch. Fogg's pitches have no movement on them. And he's not got a blazing fastball. I just wasn't impressed, even though his statline looked better than what I saw.

Kingspoint
07-06-2008, 02:16 PM
Preface: I just replied to you in another thread. I promise I'm not hunting for your posts to dispute them.

But anyways, Fogg was put on the DL on June 1st, and made his first rehab start on June 26th, so no, he hasn't been healthy for a month. Closer to about 10 days. Should he not have had any rehab starts? Bring him right back in for the 5th spot after being terrible and not proving to us that he has improved or is even physically recovered? And Thompson had been out-pitching Maloney, so how would that be the smarter move? Affeldt hasn't pitched 2 consecutive solid innings this year, what makes you think he could pitch 5 or 6? I'm just not sure I understand why this situation was so detrimental. It didn't cost the Reds anything. With any offensive support DT could have gone 2-1.

I was going with his exact words and the results of his pitching over the last couple of weeks. He said, "I've been healthy for a month".

I don't read ORG very often....maybe once a month. But, last night I read their thread on "Daryl Thompson", and there are good posts on their about this idea that we're talking about. M2's are probably the best to me, because they look at the same thing that I look for, not what's best for "June of 2008", which is what you're referring to in your post by claiming that Thompson was pitching better than Maloney so that's why he should be called up, but the posts refer to what's best for the "Cincinnati Ballclub" which includes it's affiliates and it's future, and that would encompass leaving Thompson in AAA for the rest of the season because that's where he belongs at this point of his career. With that as a basis for your decision, then you get any yahoo to take some starts, and you don't make the decision based on who's going to give you the best chance to win a couple of games in June of 2008.

Aces Wild
07-06-2008, 05:42 PM
Fogg was hit hard last night, and the Reds D actually played fairly well behind him. I am most confident we will see the same shelling we've grown accustomed to the next time he starts..........hope I'm wrong though.

Kingspoint
07-11-2008, 09:57 PM
Fogg has pitched decent in his career before now, and it just seems to me that he could again. We all hated Lohse last year and he's tearing it up with St. Louis right now. I don't feel like Thompson is ready to pitch right now and Bailey is working out issues. No need to destroy him now when Fogg is here. I don't like it either but it's the least of 3 evils.

Fogg again tonight shows his usefulness.

ChatterRed
07-12-2008, 01:01 PM
I have been a Fogg basher. Just stopped by to give him props on 2 consecutive good performances. I haven't seen 2 good consecutive performances from a Reds 5th starter, possibly ever. Nice.