PDA

View Full Version : Report: Indians agree to deal Sabathia to Brewers for minor leaguers

Revering4Blue
07-06-2008, 07:38 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3475667

It looks like the next time C.C. Sabathia takes the mound he'll be donning a Milwaukee Brewers' jersey.

The Brewers and the Cleveland Indians agreed to a deal for the reigning AL Cy Young on Sunday, according to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. The newspaper reports the deal is contingent on paperwork being finished and the exchange of medical records.

Cleveland would get Double-A outfielder Matt LaPorta, who is hitting .288 with 20 homers and 66 RBIs in 84 games for Huntsville, and two other minor leaguers in return, according to the Journal Sentinel. The two other players do not include top prospects Alcides Escobar or Mat Gamel.

The Brewers wanted Sabathia on their pitching staff in time to get him two starts before the All-Star break, according to multiple media reports. Sabathia, who is 6-8 with a 3.83 ERA this season, could debut in Milwaukee against the Colorado Rockies on Tuesday.

Brewers general manager Doug Melvin told the Journal Sentinel on Saturday that a proposal was on table and he awaiting word from Indians GM Mark Shapiro.

"Mark said he'd be in touch with me," said Melvin. "I'm sure they've got to think through everything."

Laporta was scratched from Huntsville's lineup Sunday, another indication the deal was close.

Milwaukee has been considered the front-runner in the Sabathia sweepstakes. The Los Angeles Dodgers, Philadelphia Phillies and Tampa Bay Rays were among other teams vying for his services.

GoReds33
07-06-2008, 07:41 PM
Too much to give up for a rental, IMO. He's a great pitcher, but he's not worth this many good prospects.

Revering4Blue
07-06-2008, 07:49 PM
According to sources, the Indians will not be receiving Escobar or Gamel in addition to LaPorta.

Kudos to Doug Melvin for pulling this off.

TheBigLebowski
07-06-2008, 07:53 PM
You gotta do this if you're MIL. Small to mid-market teams like MIL don't get the opportunity to compete for a pennant each season (like us) and, when they have the chance to take a shot at it, you do it. I love Matt LaPorta (watched him here at UF for 4 years and he's a fave of mine) but it's a solid deal for the Beer Boys if he's the only A-level prospect they had to part with.

Redeye fly
07-06-2008, 07:58 PM
Yeah, but I'm sure there's some Brewers fans who are extremely happy but also wondering how Ned Yost will screw things up this time around. Not saying that he will or he won't, just saying there's a lot of Brewers fans probably thinking exactly that.

stfm965
07-06-2008, 07:59 PM
I think that the other prospect is going to be Lorenzo Cain or atleast ive heard is name mentioned in an article in the milwaukee paper

07-06-2008, 07:59 PM
If Tyler Green is included, this a great deal for the Indians. They get two great young bats that they need.
To be honest, I just don't think CC puts the Brewers over the top. If they could pick up a closer too, then that might do it. But the Brewers do not make the playoffs with their current bullpen.

LouisvilleCARDS
07-06-2008, 08:16 PM
Great move for the Brewers IMO. When you look at the background, you can see why they would do this:

1) Third best record in the NL, just happen to have the top two ahead of them. Cardinals aren't going to be reliable with that rotation for 162 games.

2) They has EIGHT Double A All Star players, and STILL kept their top two guys they wanted.

3) When Sabathia becomes a free agent, they'll get two first round picks out of it. Sheets also if he leaves, so they could get potentially FIVE of the first 35 picks.

So they're definitely not losing much in this trade. They get picks back with this rental, and a damn good shot to make the wild card at least.

keeganbrick
07-06-2008, 08:25 PM
Yea, good deal for Brewers. Even if he walks after this season they will still get good draft picks for CC.

captainmorgan07
07-06-2008, 09:23 PM
Very good deal for the brewers. I agree with above poster that says the cardinals rotation is not going to hold up for 162 games. If Kyle Lohse continues to pitch this well i will be amazed.

Trace's Daddy
07-06-2008, 09:31 PM
Now that the Brewers have CC, will Philly or another team set their sites on Arroyo?

Fullboat
07-06-2008, 09:45 PM
Does Cleveland get any draft picks for losing Sabathia or are they nullified because of the trade?

redhawk61
07-06-2008, 10:09 PM
Now that the Brewers have CC, will Philly or another team set their sites on Arroyo?

Maybe, maybe if the rumor is true and that the Phils and Reds have been talking about Arroyo then we could be on to something. Maybe Walt decided to hold off for a little while cause he heard through the grapevine that C.C. was going to be dealt, so he said, well lets hang on to him a little longer to see if we can start a bidding war over one of the better pitchers now available.

Lets hope Walt can now get that one A level prospect (Marson/Carrasco more than likely) instead of the rumored 2 B levels that the Phils will give up. And who knows, maybe if we get a bidding war going we can get them to add one B level to that.

A Victorino, Marson/Carrasco, Slaydon/Spidale/Naylor deal for Arroyo and a Utility guy would be might nice

reds1869
07-06-2008, 10:59 PM
Great move for the Brew Crew. LaPorta is a tremendous prospect, but C.C. is a tremendous proven commodity. I say Milwaukee catches the Cubs and wins this thing.

bgwilly31
07-06-2008, 11:07 PM
why would Cleveland give up cc anyhow? I didnt understand why they were shopping him to start with. ?

reds1869
07-06-2008, 11:09 PM
why would Cleveland give up cc anyhow? I didnt understand why they were shopping him to start with. ?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$.

superred
07-06-2008, 11:15 PM

because he didnt want 2 be in cleveland

07-06-2008, 11:29 PM

He turned down their best offer of 4 years $72M.

07-06-2008, 11:33 PM
The key to this deal clearly are the three other players. This could be a huge harvest for the Tribe, or not so much.
On the Brewers side, no matter who they gave up, it is a good trade, since they have prospects to trade and CC helps them now. Still, they could get CC, Beckett, and Webb and still not make the playoffs if they don't address their bullpen.

They not only need a closer, they a set up guy too. They have no one that I would trust with the game on the line in their pen.

GoReds33
07-06-2008, 11:40 PM
why would Cleveland give up cc anyhow? I didnt understand why they were shopping him to start with. ?He's going to be a free agent after the year is over. He's going to get huge money. If they were to take the draft picks, that wouldn't help because next year's draft grades out to be very weak.

redhawk61
07-06-2008, 11:44 PM
The key to this deal clearly are the three other players. This could be a huge harvest for the Tribe, or not so much.
On the Brewers side, no matter who they gave up, it is a good trade, since they have prospects to trade and CC helps them now. Still, they could get CC, Beckett, and Webb and still not make the playoffs if they don't address their bullpen.

They not only need a closer, they a set up guy too. They have no one that I would trust with the game on the line in their pen.
Exactly what I was thinking, they have a combined 14 blown saves this year with a 4.07 ERA, good for 20th best in MLB

Newman4
07-07-2008, 12:17 AM
I'm glad to see this early in July rather than later. Puts the pressure on other contenders to make corresponding moves.

NeilHamburger
07-07-2008, 12:20 AM
I love it, Reds don't have much if any shot this year. Sheets and CC are both gone from the brewers after this year, and LaPorta is out of the NL. Good all around.

This could be the Brewers only shot for a long time, as Fielder has Boras as an agent and there are already rumblings they may trade him this offseason in fear of not be able to sign him. Especially since they won't have sheets next year, no point in paying fielder when the team prob. won't compete.

LaPorta was thought to be the replacement for Fielder after he left. This is what you call going for broke and screwing next year. It's also why the collapse by the brewers last year was costly, using the plan of going young and building before trading away pieces as they become expensive means you have about a 3 year window before pieces become expensive and need to be traded to get more young prospects and draft picks. You really need to take advantage in that window, with Sheets and Fielder about to be paid huge money that window is closing.

NorrisHopper30
07-07-2008, 12:34 AM
I love it, Reds don't have much if any shot this year. Sheets and CC are both gone from the brewers after this year, and LaPorta is out of the NL. Good all around.

This could be the Brewers only shot for a long time, as Fielder has Boras as an agent and there are already rumblings they may trade him this offseason in fear of not be able to sign him. Especially since they won't have sheets next year, no point in paying fielder when the team prob. won't compete.

LaPorta was thought to be the replacement for Fielder after he left. This is what you call going for broke and screwing next year. It's also why the collapse by the brewers last year was costly, using the plan of going young and building before trading away pieces as they become expensive means you have about a 3 year window before pieces become expensive and need to be traded to get more young prospects and draft picks. You really need to take advantage in that window, with Sheets and Fielder about to be paid huge money that window is closing.

Sounds like the Brewers are going all-in to me.

improbus
07-07-2008, 07:35 AM
Yeah, but I'm sure there's some Brewers fans who are extremely happy but also wondering how Ned Yost will screw things up this time around. Not saying that he will or he won't, just saying there's a lot of Brewers fans probably thinking exactly that.

That sounds like a Reds fan to me...

How is Boone, Miley, Narron, Baker going to screw this up?

improbus
07-07-2008, 07:39 AM
One small item to add. CC should have been in the NL all along because he is an excellent hitting pitcher (a career .300 hitter).

bgwilly31
07-07-2008, 11:32 AM
So does anybody think the brewers will sign him after the year is up?

Can we afford him if we drop Arroyo&griffey?

Edinson
CC
Harang
Cueto
D.Thompson

I like the looks of that.

Plus whats even better it throws a lefty into our starting rotation. Something our rotation desperately needs.

superred
07-07-2008, 01:02 PM
cc is going to want a huge amount of $$$ and im sure the yankees will be willing 2 break the bank 4 him

07-07-2008, 01:38 PM
So does anybody think the brewers will sign him after the year is up?

Can we afford him if we drop Arroyo&griffey?

Edinson
CC
Harang
Cueto
D.Thompson

I like the looks of that.

Plus whats even better it throws a lefty into our starting rotation. Something our rotation desperately needs.

Basically, if the Reds don't keep Griffey, don't re-sign Dunn and trade Arroyo without getting any salary back, assuming their payroll is the same as this year, they will have an extra $30M to spend.

However they will need a starting CF, a starting SS (unless they keep Kepp there), a starting catcher, and a few relievers and bench players as well as two starting pitchers.

CC has said that he would like to pitch in the NL, since he can hit, and has said good things about Cincinnati, so it is not out of the question. It will take around $20M a year for at least 4 years to get him. That leaves $10M for a CF, SS, C and others.

It looks possible to me, but difficult.

stfm965
07-07-2008, 02:43 PM
I think it would be difficult to lure C.C. here. Everyone seems to think he'll be heading out west where he is from.

durl
07-07-2008, 03:36 PM
Is Sabathia's somewhat mediocre W/L record due to his being in Cleveland? I mean, he's already lost more games this year than all of last season. 7 seasons in the majors and he's won at least 15 games 3 times. 3 seasons he's been right around .500. GREAT year last season...his best yet.

I'm not denying he's been a very good pitcher with a good career ERA but I'm wondering if he really should pull $20 million a year.

ChatterRed
07-07-2008, 04:10 PM
There are some things to be concerned about Sabathia - such as his weight/size.

Milwaukee is going for the gusto because they won't be able to sign Sheets, Sabathia or Fielder in the offseason.........so they have to go for it all now.

Sabathia is rumored to be wanting to go home - back West. I don't think the Yanks will sign him. I don't think the Reds have a chance in you know what of signing him.

The good news is, whether Milwaukee wins it all or falls short, they will be a much weakened team next year with Sabathia, Sheets, and Fielder gone. But props to them for trying.

I keep wondering if they'd take Cordero off our hands and we could pick up another of their top prospects?

PTI (pti)
07-07-2008, 08:08 PM
I keep wondering if they'd take Cordero off our hands and we could pick up another of their top prospects?

They weren't willing to give him a $46 million contract LAST year, why would they want to do it now (not to mention parting with a top prospect)?

No way that happens, although I'd be all for it.

As far as the Sabathia deal is concerned - I love it for the Brewers. I expect them to eventually work out something with Fielder, and they already gave Braun a long-term deal, so LaPorta was about as expendable as a prospect of his caliber can possibly be. They'll let Sabathia and Sheets walk at the end of the season, and gain a whole slew of draft picks. Present and future needs addressed --> good move.

redsfanfalcon
07-08-2008, 02:47 PM
I also don't understand why people say this puts the Brewers as the team to beat. Sheets is one hangnail away from being out for the year, and they don't have a proven closer. Their second baseman is hitting .200, and Russell Branyan is getting the majority of starts at 3B. If the Reds aren't going to make a run, I would like to see the Brewers make a run, but I don't know if this trade makes them the team to beat.