PDA

View Full Version : Utley, Berkman, Uggla, Hamilton, Sizemore confirmed for Derby

OnBaseMachine
07-07-2008, 03:29 PM
Utley, Berkman, Uggla, Hamilton, Sizemore confirmed for Derby

Updated: July 7, 2008, 3:04 PM ET

Josh Hamilton, Dan Uggla, Chase Utley, Lance Berkman and Grady Sizemore are five of the eight players who will compete in the State Farm Home Run Derby competition the night before the All-Star Game at Yankee Stadium.

Three more players will complete the field for the derby (ESPN, 8 p.m. ET).

Utley, the Phillies' slugging second baseman and NL All-Star starter at the position, leads the majors with 24 home runs. The Marlins' Uggla (23) and Astros' Berkman (22) also are in the top five in homers in the Senior Circuit. The Rangers' Hamilton is tied for second in the American League with 19 home runs.

Vladimir Guerrero, the defending champion, told MLB.com that he intends to compete as well. He has not been officially confirmed by Major League Baseball, however.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/allstar08/news/story?id=3476173

I was hoping A-Rod would participate since it's the last year of Yankee Stadium but he says he's afraid it will mess up his swing.

Jpup
07-07-2008, 03:32 PM
I'll take Josh as the winner right now.

princeton
07-07-2008, 03:33 PM
former Red Eric Milton asked to pitch?

lollipopcurve
07-07-2008, 03:41 PM
I was hoping A-Rod would participate since it's the last year of Yankee Stadium but he says he's afraid it will mess up his swing.

what a baby

RedsManRick
07-07-2008, 03:41 PM
I thought Uggla was the on DL? I know it's his legs, but that still strikes me as odd that he could participate.

BrooklynRedz
07-07-2008, 03:46 PM
Why no Dunn?

Tommyjohn25
07-07-2008, 03:49 PM
Why no Dunn?

I (we) wish. Unfortunately a player cannot participate if he is not chosen to be on the all-star team. :(

OnBaseMachine
07-07-2008, 03:57 PM
I (we) wish. Unfortunately a player cannot participate if he is not chosen to be on the all-star team. :(

You can still participate in the homerun derby if not selected to the All-Star game but Dunn has said in the past he would only participate if he were elected to play in the game.

Tommyjohn25
07-07-2008, 04:03 PM
You can still participate in the homerun derby if not selected to the All-Star game but Dunn has said in the past he would only participate if he were elected to play in the game.

Really?? Huh...I stand corrected (that's been happening alot lately). Come to think of it, I do seem to recall reading that quote from Dunn a couple years ago.

Speaking of the ASG, is anyone else surprised that Cole Hamels didn't make it?

REDREAD
07-07-2008, 05:45 PM

That makes sense. Why ruin your 3 day vacation just for the home run derby?

I mean, it's worth it if you actually make the allstar team, but not worth it for basically a glorified batting practice session.

Highlifeman21
07-07-2008, 05:51 PM
Uggla and Sizemore in the derby, eh?

Vlad will defend his crown, but you have to like Fat Elvis or Hamilton from the left side of the dish as early favorites.

cincinnati chili
07-07-2008, 05:54 PM
I'd like to see Matt Holliday, but I imagine a lefty will win the competition at Yankee Stadium.

Cyclone792
07-07-2008, 05:54 PM
I will say this: it would be an absolute travesty if Adam Dunn never appeared in a Home Run Derby. If there's anybody that could make a ballpark go crazy with absolute bombs, Dunn would be the guy. He does have a 535 foot home run, after all (that I witnessed in person too).

Highlifeman21
07-07-2008, 05:56 PM
I will say this: it would be an absolute travesty if Adam Dunn never appeared in a Home Run Derby. If there's anybody that could make a ballpark go crazy with absolute bombs, Dunn would be the guy. He does have a 535 foot home run, after all (that I witnessed in person too).

Which is why some NL manager down the road should do the right thing and put Dunn on the roster.

Dunn will never get voted in as a starter, but that doesn't mean a bench jockey can't name him to the team.

It would be great for baseball.

RedsManRick
07-07-2008, 06:08 PM

McGwire in Fenway comes to mind.

I still want to see Ichiro.

smith288
07-07-2008, 06:11 PM
I dont know why this myth continues to live on in perpetuity.

Red in Chicago
07-07-2008, 06:12 PM
they need to drastically shorten the derby...it's way too long, thus gets boring real fast...i'm not even sure which one i last watched in its entirety...i'd like to see a competition of outfielders throwing to home, or catchers throwing to second...shortstops throwing from deep in the hole...etc...

that all said, i will tune in to watch at least the first round for hammy...

RedsManRick
07-07-2008, 06:18 PM
they need to drastically shorten the derby...it's way too long, thus gets boring real fast...i'm not even sure which one i last watched in its entirety...i'd like to see a competition of outfielders throwing to home, or catchers throwing to second...shortstops throwing from deep in the hole...etc...

I'd love to see a tournament style event with only 3-5 outs per matchup -- an AL side and an NL side with the winners facing off in the HR World Series.

nate
07-07-2008, 06:31 PM
I'd love to see a tournament style event with only 3-5 outs per matchup -- an AL side and an NL side with the winners facing off in the HR World Series.

Right on!

Oooo, BONUS BUD IDEA!

Let the winning "league" field 9 players in the WS. The losers have to go with 8.

Tagline: Now it really counts!

Always Red
07-07-2008, 06:34 PM

They used to do that and it cost Barry Larkin a half a season on the DL, IIRC.

I agree with you- I find the HR Derby to be very boring. And Berman is totally unwatchable (unlistenable?) anymore.

I'll be on the History Channel, Discovery Channel or Travel Channel that night. :(

gm
07-07-2008, 06:38 PM
I will say this: it would be an absolute travesty if Adam Dunn never appeared in a Home Run Derby.

With each passing year, it appears more clear that his best "chance" was 2002 (when he was 22 and relatively unknown) in Milwaukee. If Dunn is resigned to a LTC, he could become the most prolific HR hitter in Red's history and never be invited to participate in the HR derby. Statisically, he's like top-5 all time in HR/AB ratio, right?

Let that sink in for a minute

OnBaseMachine
07-07-2008, 09:33 PM

I also witnessed that. August 10th, 2004 off Jose Lima.

harangatang
07-08-2008, 01:00 AM
I also witnessed that. August 10th, 2004 off Jose Lima.I watched the play live on FSN and the camera showed whatever the black box looking thing was in center field and you couldn't even see the ball leaving stadium. One of my buddies and I always argued about whether a ball would land in the river. I came out on the winning side of that argument though it had to take a couple of bounces to get to Kentucky (Ohio River owned by Kentucky). I can't believe that has been 4 years ago, it seems like yesterday.

ramp101
07-08-2008, 01:04 AM
I thought Uggla was the on DL? I know it's his legs, but that still strikes me as odd that he could participate.

not on the DL

and this event was made for Dan Uggla

of course, he might strikeout too

BrooklynRedz
07-08-2008, 10:57 AM
That makes sense. Why ruin your 3 day vacation just for the home run derby?

I mean, it's worth it if you actually make the allstar team, but not worth it for basically a glorified batting practice session.

I can't help but think Dunn's participation in the HRD would do more for his reputation. Not that that matters at all to me, but I imagine in a walk year it would do wonders for his earning potential.

jojo
07-08-2008, 11:08 AM
Who wants to see Dunn take a called third strike in the home run derby? :cool:

Do they count three misses as an out? That might hurt him too..... :cool:

All kidding aside, I think the HR derby is unwatchable. Maybe golf balls, aluminum bats and a dunk booth with Selig in the hot seat might help.....might......

OnBaseMachine
07-11-2008, 02:19 PM
Vladimir Guerrero opted out of the Derby so he can spend more time with his family. Ryan Braun has been chosen to participate so the confirmed are now: Chase Utley, Lance Berkman, Dan Uggla, Josh Hamilton, Grady Sizemore, and Ryan Braun. There are two open spots to fill.

My guess is Hamilton wins.

OnBaseMachine
07-11-2008, 02:23 PM
Softball game to feature Crystal, Whoopi
By Doug Miller / MLB.com

Baseball Hall of Famers will join Academy Award winners and Super Bowl champions on the world's most famous field for their version of the All-Star Game on Sunday, July 13.

This year's renewal of the annual event is called the 2008 Taco Bell All-Star Legends and Celebrity Softball Game, and it's part of Taco Bell All-Star Sunday and 2008 Major League Baseball All-Star Week.

The temporary fences will be pulled in at Yankee Stadium and the fun will start at 4 p.m. ET.

Celebrities scheduled to appear include actor and comedian Billy Crystal, who played for the Yankees in a Spring Training game in March, plus Oscar winners Whoopi Goldberg and Marlee Matlin.

"I'm a Chicago girl, and as such, I've always loved watching and playing baseball," Matlin said. "Playing ball is my extracurricular activity while working on a film or TV show, and I bring my mitt with me everywhere I go. Now, to be able to play in the House that Babe Ruth Built is just too wild to believe. I can't wait!"

Also on hand among the stars will be comedians Chris Rock and George Lopez, celebrity chef Bobby Flay, director Spike Lee, defensive end Justin Tuck from the Super Bowl champion New York Giants, actor Jerry Ferrara, who's better known as Turtle on "Entourage," celebrity softball game veteran James Denton of "Desperate Housewives," TV correspondents Maria Menounos and AJ Calloway and actors William Baldwin and Kyle Massey.

Major League Baseball legends scheduled to appear include Hall of Famers Ozzie Smith, Rich "Goose" Gossage, Tony Perez, Dave Winfield, George Brett, Ernie Banks, Gary Carter, Rollie Fingers, Wade Boggs and Paul Molitor plus seven-time All-Star Tim Raines and Yankees legends Tino Martinez and Paul O'Neill.

ESPN anchor Kenny Mayne will be a team manager and Mike Golic and Mike Greenberg of ESPN Radio's "Mike & Mike" show will be the emcees for the game, which will be broadcast by ESPN on Monday, July 14, after the 2008 State Farm Home Run Derby, which begins at 8 p.m. ET.

"The MLB All-Star weekend is easily the highlight of my year," Denton said. "The first year I played third next to Ozzie Smith, and last year I was in an outfield with Fred Lynn and Ricky Henderson. I homered off of Mark 'The Bird' Fidrych. Sure, it was softball, but how do you beat that?"

Added Tuck: "As a kid growing up in Kellyton, Alabama, I was a huge Yankees fan, so I am really excited that Major League Baseball invited me to play in The Taco Bell All-Star Legends & Celebrity Softball Game at Yankee Stadium.

"In addition to winning the Super Bowl this year, this is definitely going to be lots of fun for me. Having teammates like Chris Rock, Billy Crystal, Whoopi Goldberg, George Lopez and Spike Lee is going to be a blast."

Massey, who stars in "Cory in the House," said he was equally thrilled to learn he'd be taking part in the festivities.

"I'm so excited to be playing with all of these amazing celebrities and incredible Hall of Fame baseball players at Yankee Stadium, the most historic place in sports," Massey said.

"I always loved the game of baseball, but it became my favorite sport when the Chicago White Sox gave me a behind-the-scenes tour and I got to watch a game from the perfect perspective of the broadcast booth. I'm so honored for this once-in-a-lifetime and I will be forever thankful to Major League Baseball."

Tickets for Taco Bell All-Star Sunday can be purchased at MLB.com and www.allstargame.com plus all 30 Major League Baseball club sites, by phone via Ticketmaster at (212) 307-1212.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080702&content_id=3050002&vkey=allstar2008&fext=.jsp

OnBaseMachine
07-11-2008, 02:28 PM
The Celebrity Softball Game is always one of my favorite events of the All-Star activities. I can only imagine the thrill the celebs get by playing on a major league field with such stars as Tony Perez, Dave Winfield, and George Brett among others. I always love watching those big sluggers rip the cover off the softballs. IIRC Winfield crushed a long homerun last year in this game. I know some people don't like the Derby and ASG but I do. No other sport compares to the baseball All-Star activities. The Futures Game, the Celebrity softball game, the Homerun Derby, and the All-Star game itself. I enjoy it all and look forward to it next week.

OnBaseMachine
07-14-2008, 02:32 PM
The field of eight in the homerun derby:

AL:

Josh Hamilton
Justin Morneau
Grady Sizemore
Evan Longoria

NL:

Lance Berkman
Ryan Braun
Chase Utley
Dan Uggla

My money is on Josh Hamilton winning the Derby.

Highlifeman21
07-14-2008, 04:41 PM
The field of eight in the homerun derby:

AL:

Josh Hamilton
Justin Morneau
Grady Sizemore
Evan Longoria

NL:

Lance Berkman
Ryan Braun
Chase Utley
Dan Uggla

My money is on Josh Hamilton winning the Derby.

Morneau and Uggla have as much business in a HR Derby as Julian Tavarez has in a beauty contest....

Pretty weak lineup this year, IMO.

NJReds
07-14-2008, 04:47 PM
How does Dunn not get invited to this event? (Unless he was and turned them down ...)

RedsManRick
07-14-2008, 04:47 PM
How does Dunn not get invited to this event? (Unless he was and turned them down ...)

All-Stars only.

NJReds
07-14-2008, 04:55 PM
All-Stars only.

Was that always the case? For some reason I thought that they could invite any major leaguer.

OnBaseMachine
07-14-2008, 05:16 PM
All-Stars only.

You have have to be selected to the All-Star game to participate in the Homerun Derby. IIRC Dunn was asked to participate last year but turned it down because he said he would only do it if he made the All-Star team.

MasonBuzz3
07-14-2008, 05:54 PM
one of the dumbest rules in MLB....No Dunn, Ryan Howard, Pat Burrell, or Giambi in a HR Derby. MLB needs to take a look at the NBA and follow suit for the All Star weekend, the NBA gets the best 3 pt shooters and "best" young dunkers for the fanfest. MLB throws out such "sluggers" as Sizemore, Utley and Longoria. People loved the Derby back when McGwire, Junior, and Sosa were smacking 450+ bombs and were the stars of the game

OnBaseMachine
07-14-2008, 06:03 PM
I would've liked seeing a guy like Adrian Gonzalez in the Derby over Uggla or someone else. Gonzalez has big time power and would fit in nicely with the short porch in RF.

OnBaseMachine
07-14-2008, 06:06 PM
5:05 p.m. ET
ESPN's always excellent research staff has outdone itself when it comes to providing interesting notes related to the Home Run Derby, and home runs in general. Here are a few of the best ones:

• So far in 2008, the HR per game rate is 1.96, which is only slightly lower than last year's rate (1.97) and the lowest since 1993 (1.78).

• Yankee Stadium is a much better home run park for left-handed batters than for right-handed batters. Since the stadium was remodeled in 1976, left-handed batters have averaged one home run every 28.5 at-bats and right-handed batters have averaged one homer every 40.1 at-bats.

• Of the 2008 Derby participants, Lance Berkman is the only switch-hitter, but he has decided to hit righty tonight. The other right-handed hitters are Ryan Braun, Evan Longoria and Dan Uggla. The lefties are Josh Hamilton, Justin Morneau, Grady Sizemore and Chase Utley.

• The short right-field porch gives the left-handed hitters a natural advantage in the HR Derby over the right-handed batters. The four left-handed participants have pulled 82 percent of their combined dingers over the right-field fence this season, while Berkman uses more of the field when he hits from the left side.

Utley -- 92 percent to right; 8 percent to center
Sizemore -- 90.9 percent to RF; 4.5 percent to CF; 4.5 percent to LF
Morneau -- 85.7 percent to RF; 14.3 percent to CF
Hamilton -- 61.9 percent to RF; 4.8 percent to CF; 33.3 percent to LF

• Here are the career HR rates for each participant: Braun (one HR every 14.5 at-bats), Berkman (16.3), Hamilton (16.9), Uggla (19.1), Longoria (19.1), Morneau (19.5), Utley (20.5), Sizemore (24.0).

• Despite Yankee Stadium being a much better home run park for left-handed batters, Alex Rodriguez has a better home-run rate at home (one HR every 13.1 at-bats) than on the road (one every 14.5 at-bats) since he joined the Yankees in 2004.

• At the All-Star break, Philadelphia's Ryan Howard leads the majors with 28 home runs. Howard, who did not make the All-Star team, is only the fifth player to be the outright leader in home runs at the break and fail to make an All-Star team. The others were Hank Greenberg in 1935, Hank Sauer in 1948, Frank Howard in 1967 and Dave Kingman in 1984.

And there are plenty more notes where those came from.
--David Kull

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3478183&name=allstar_game

OnBaseMachine
07-14-2008, 06:34 PM
6:11 p.m. ET
I just received the batting order for tonight's Home Run Derby. Here it is:

1. Dan Uggla
2. Grady Sizemore
3. Evan Longoria
4. Chase Utley
5. Lance Berkman
6. Justin Morneau
7. Ryan Braun
8. Josh Hamilton

Sometime before the power-hitting festivities begin, I'll send out the official Derby rules.
--D.K.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3478183&name=allstar_game

Big Klu
07-14-2008, 06:37 PM
I would have liked to have seen Carlos Zambrano in the Home Run Derby.

OnBaseMachine
07-14-2008, 08:11 PM
Did anyone just hear Utley drop the f-bomb? When he was announced you could hear some boos in the background and you could hear him say, "Boo? F-you then.":lol:

OldRightHander
07-14-2008, 08:58 PM
I'm a little ticked off. MLB.TV had a promo where you could pay a couple bucks to get the All Star stuff. I paid the money, got the confirmation, and now the schedule is telling me there are no games on the schedule today. The home page listed the home run derby as one of the available webcasts. If I can't watch it, I want a refund from them right away.

CrackerJack
07-14-2008, 09:31 PM
I want Josh Hamilton back...

OldRightHander
07-14-2008, 09:33 PM
Now it's working. Just in time to see Hamilton.

Tom Servo
07-14-2008, 09:34 PM
I want Josh Hamilton back...
Same. Krivsky should have broken into the Rangers office and stole Volquez's contract and changed it with a computer to make him a Red so we could have had them both.

HumnHilghtFreel
07-14-2008, 09:36 PM
Holy crap, Josh is just plain smashing the ball right now. This is very fun to watch. Kind of cool to see the interaction with Volquez too

MasonBuzz3
07-14-2008, 09:37 PM
anyone who has ever had the privilege to see Hamilton take BP...this is not a surprise at all. I saw the Reds last year on the road, Dunn and Hamilton would put on a derby to remember

Caseyfan21
07-14-2008, 09:40 PM
He might as well let Hanley's kid come up and swing for his last two outs. Unbelievable...

Virginia Beach Reds
07-14-2008, 09:41 PM
This is just flat amazing. Josh Hamilton....wow. I love Volquez and we really needed the pitching, but holy cow, this guy is completely unbelievable. What a story. I remember standing at opening day 2007, getting shivers. I have them again.

CrackerJack
07-14-2008, 09:42 PM
4 away from Abreu's record with 2 outs left....

OldRightHander
07-14-2008, 09:43 PM
Wow.

CrackerJack
07-14-2008, 09:45 PM
just broke the record with 26...still 2 outs left, may have to call him off the field :)

Raisor
07-14-2008, 09:46 PM
This has been awesome

HumnHilghtFreel
07-14-2008, 09:47 PM
Absolutely amazing what he's doing right now. I love it

Virginia Beach Reds
07-14-2008, 09:47 PM
Next Babe Ruth? Unbelievable. I can't believe this. They are playing the Natural theme song at the Stadium.

MasonBuzz3
07-14-2008, 09:51 PM
54 pitches and 28 HR unreal....might need a reliever for the final round

CrackerJack
07-14-2008, 09:54 PM
54 pitches and 28 HR unreal....might need a reliever for the final round

And at least 4 of them over 500 ft. I believe.

He also had a 71 year old man throwing to him. :)

Braun had his agent throwing to him I noticed. :rolleyes:

MasonBuzz3
07-14-2008, 09:56 PM
He also had a 71 year old man throwing to him. :)

and maybe its just me, but the old man was bringing it too

Yachtzee
07-14-2008, 10:00 PM
I wish I would have watched it, but as long as the HR Derby is on ESPN, I can't watch it. I can no longer tolerate Chris Berman anywhere near a baseball diamond.

Raisor
07-14-2008, 10:01 PM
I wish I would have watched it, but as long as the HR Derby is on ESPN, I can't watch it. I can no longer tolerate Chris Berman anywhere near a baseball diamond.

*mute*

OnBaseMachine
07-15-2008, 12:23 PM
NEW YORK - Look at it this way: Chase Utley probably isn't the first person to tell New York sports fans to (bleep) off.

Although such comments generally play well in a city that has never hid its dislike of its neighbor to the north, Utley apologized last night for a remark that was caught by a live ESPN microphone during introductions for the Home Run Derby at Yankee Stadium.

After the Phillies second baseman heard a chorus of boos from the crowd when he was introduced, Utley was heard responding, "Boo? [Bleep] you."

A clip of the remark was posted on the Internet within an hour of when it was uttered.

Utley, who was eliminated after hitting five home runs in the first round, later apologized.

"It was a poor choice of words," he said. "I didn't mean anything by it. I was kind of joking around with my buddy over there, so I do want to apologize."

http://www.philly.com/dailynews/sports/20080715_Chase_Utterly_apologetic_for_remark_at_Ho me_Run_Derby.html

NJReds
07-15-2008, 12:28 PM
I wonder why they booed Utley?

blumj
07-15-2008, 12:30 PM
I wonder why they booed Utley?
It's NY, probably a decent number of Mets fans around.

NJReds
07-15-2008, 12:33 PM
It's NY, probably a decent number of Mets fans around.

They usually only boo their own players.

Raisor
07-15-2008, 12:45 PM
NEW YORK -
After the Phillies second baseman heard a chorus of boos from the crowd when he was introduced, Utley was heard responding, "Boo? [Bleep] you."

]

Someone who plays in Philadephia surprised when someone gets booed? Really?

OnBaseMachine
07-15-2008, 02:43 PM
Ichiro’s speech to All-Stars revealed

By Jeff Passan, Yahoo! Sports 2 hours, 15 minutes ago

Yahoo! Sports

NEW YORK – Piece by piece, the legend started to reveal itself.

“How do you know about that?” Michael Young asked.

A whisper here. A story there. Something about the greatest pregame speech since Rockne invoked the Gipper, one laced with profanity and delivered to the American League All-Stars every year.

“It’s why we win,” David Ortiz said.

He pointed to Ichiro Suzuki, the Seattle Mariners’ wisp of an outfielder, a man who still uses a translator to do interviews with English-speaking reporters – and happens to be baseball’s amalgam of Anthony Robbins and George Carlin. Every year, after the AL manager addresses his team, Ichiro bursts from his locker, a bundle of kinetic energy, and proceeds, in English, to disparage the National League with an H-bomb of F-bombs, stunning first-timers who had no idea Ichiro speaks the queen’s language fluently and making returnees happy that they had played well enough to see the pep talk again.

The tradition began in 2001, Ichiro’s first All-Star appearance, and the AL hasn’t lost a game since. Coincidence?

Um. No.

“I know how important it is to the game,” Ichiro said. “I’m more concentrated at that moment than I am in the game.”

A wide grin spread across his face. Ichiro’s secret had been exposed, so, hey, why not have fun with it?

He crafts his public portrayal similar to the image he projects on the field: a technician, a warrior, a Ph.D. in stoicism. In reality, Ichiro’s All-Star teammates love him for his wicked sense of humor and sly deceit, shown with a vocabulary far more expansive than he leads on.

All the first baseman around the AL know Ichiro speaks English, singles accounting for 1,393 of his 1,711 hits since joining Seattle in 2001. Generally, the conversation doesn’t move much past pleasantries, which makes the speech all the more shocking.

“That’s kind of what gets you, too,” Minnesota first baseman Justin Morneau said. “Hearing him say what he says. At first, I talked to him a little bit. But I didn’t know he knew some of the words he knows.”

The exact words are not available. Players are too busy laughing to remember them. Ichiro wouldn’t dare repeat them in public. So here’s the best facsimile possible.

“Bleep … bleep bleep bleep … National League … bleep … bleep … bleeeeeeeeep … National – bleep bleep bleepbleepbleep!”

“If you’ve never seen it, it’s definitely something pretty funny,” Morneau said. “It’s hard to explain, the effect it has on everyone. It’s such a tense environment. Everyone’s a little nervous for the game, and then he comes out. He doesn’t say a whole lot the whole time he’s in there, and all of a sudden, the manager gets done with his speech, and he pops off.”

And onto the field they go, enemies during the regular season, friends because together they just saw a 5-foot-9, 160-pound man from Japan, a national icon who surely could win office there, create beef where there wasn’t any.

Certainly it ranks high on his list of accomplishments. Two-time AL batting champion. Rookie of the Year. MVP. Unparalleled instigator.

“The cool thing,” Young said, “is that for two days, at least, we call a truce and become a bit of a team.”

It is somewhat bittersweet, then, to change sides and end up playing for the hated National League, as many have done over Ichiro’s eight seasons. These players know the Ichiro effect, relish it, perhaps even need it to win.

And so Miguel Tejada, the longtime Oakland and Baltimore shortstop who made the NL team this season with Houston, wonders whether the speech isn’t so much an Ichiro thing as it is a cultural blessing.

“I hope Fukudome does it this year,” Tejada said.

Kosuke Fukudome, the Cubs outfielder, will start in center field for the NL team. He is not fashion conscious, does not have a sycophantic following and does not start trends. He is, aside from sharing a left-handed swing and exemplary bat control, the anti-Ichiro.

“I have no plans for that,” Fukudome said.

Which leaves the NL hoping for some kind of a miracle. Ichiro was asked how much he believes the speech has contributed to the AL dominance that has stretched more than a decade now.

“I’ve got to say over 90 percent,” he said.

Well, maybe last year. Ichiro went 3 for 3, hit the All-Star Game’s first inside-the-park home run and won MVP honors in the AL’s 5-4 victory. And, remember, he concentrates more on the speech.

At the All-Star interview session Monday, Ichiro readied himself for Tuesday’s performance with his vocal cords – albeit with some trepidation.

“If I don’t say it this year, I want to see if we win or not,” Ichiro said. “Personally, I want to see what happens. But I think Ortiz is going to make something happen.”

Oh, Big Papi knows better than to let an All-Star Game go by without Ichiro’s speech. The winner gets home-field advantage in the World Series, and his Red Sox may need it. And the All-Star Game just wouldn’t feel right without a waif Japanese warrior telling the National League to …

Bleep!

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=jp-ichirospeech071508&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Highlifeman21
07-15-2008, 04:47 PM
Someone who plays in Philadephia surprised when someone gets booed? Really?

Chase Utley's not Pat Burrell, Brett Myers, Ryan Howard, David Bell or Bobby Abreu, so for whatever reason they actually don't boo him, or didn't while I lived there between 2005-2007. All the others listed above, heavily booed.

Give Philly some time Chase, they'll boo you too.