PDA

View Full Version : Hamilton in HR Derby

NeilHamburger
07-07-2008, 06:35 PM
Josh Hamilton, along with Utley, Uggla, Berkman and Sizemore are confirmed for the Derby.

HAMILTON--best player in the history of the game on a national stage. Rip'em apart Hammer.

reds1869
07-07-2008, 07:37 PM
That's a pretty nice lineup right there. When Grady Sizemore is the weakest hitter in a group you know it's a great bunch of ballplayers.

Ghosts of 1990
07-07-2008, 08:26 PM
Can't wait to watch it. I'll be pulling for Sizemore (surprised he's entering it) and Hamilton of course

schmidty622
07-07-2008, 11:09 PM
Hamilton gets way to much love considering he threw away probably 1/3 of his career kissing a crack pipe. What a great example for the kids.

Do drugs, at least Reds fans will still love you.

mroby85
07-07-2008, 11:45 PM
Hamilton gets way to much love considering he threw away probably 1/3 of his career kissing a crack pipe. What a great example for the kids.

You're ignorant, thats all i really have to say.

levydl
07-07-2008, 11:50 PM

Yeah, he's ignorant, but the guy that says Hamilton's the greatest player in the history of the game, spot on, right?

reds1869
07-07-2008, 11:53 PM

I'd say turning your life around when you've been to the lowest depths of despair is exactly the example kids need. So many people fall down in life and never get back up. Heck, some people just stay on the ground before they even have a chance to stand up and cruise through life in a mediocre malaise. Hamilton shows just how special a powerful spiritual transformation can be. I for one hope the kids take notice.

mroby85
07-07-2008, 11:59 PM
I didn't say he was the greatest player in baseball, but i didn't find that comment as offensive as the one ripping hamilton, who's one of my favorite players.

TeamSelig
07-08-2008, 12:30 AM

+1

yab1112
07-08-2008, 12:48 AM
didn't take long for this thread to warm up ;)
Lookin forward to watching the derby, should be a good one, and i'm also pulling for Hamilton.

schmidty622
07-08-2008, 08:06 AM
I'd say turning your life around when you've been to the lowest depths of despair is exactly the example kids need. So many people fall down in life and never get back up. Heck, some people just stay on the ground before they even have a chance to stand up and cruise through life in a mediocre malaise. Hamilton shows just how special a powerful spiritual transformation can be. I for one hope the kids take notice.

Hamilton's story is not going to change the amount of people who stay down. You think some dude in a crack den is going to be listening to Lance's show one day and decide, "You know what I'm inspired!" No. His story, is not going to have any effect at all.

reds1869
07-08-2008, 09:37 AM
Hamilton's story is not going to change the amount of people who stay down. You think some dude in a crack den is going to be listening to Lance's show one day and decide, "You know what I'm inspired!" No. His story, is not going to have any effect at all.

What about people like my brother-in-law who is not so far gone? He teeters on the edge of total dependency but can be pulled back. He loves the Reds and has said Hamilton is an inspiration in his efforts to straighten out. Perhaps you think we should give up on people like him?

justincredible
07-08-2008, 09:50 AM
My money is on Uggla winning the derby.

improbus
07-08-2008, 09:55 AM
Well, one thing that helps Hamilton is that he is a transcendent talent. I'm too young to remember, but how was Eddie Milner received in Cincinnati after his cocaine suspension?

bounty37h
07-08-2008, 11:15 AM

I try to remain civil on here when I disagree with another poster, but schmidty, your a freaking idiot. What you seem too ignorant to catch is that he is a great model for the kids, as he spends his offtime talking to them about the dangers of drugs, what he did, and has stepped up big time as a man about it. He is a great role model for kids-yes, he made a mistake, a huge one, and believe me, no one realizes it more then him-he doesnt need your judgement or approval.

Ghosts of 1990
07-08-2008, 12:16 PM

Well excuse someone who prefers to live life glass half full.... jeese.

The guy was an addict who turned his life around. Lets hang him! You're something else.

bgwilly31
07-08-2008, 12:39 PM
Yeah, he's ignorant, but the guy that says Hamilton's the greatest player in the history of the game, spot on, right?

Yes. I believe many scouts while watching him in highschool would have told you he was the best they had ever seen. Im sure you know better than those guys too right>?

He's not the greatest player in history....yet. He might not become the best, but since his recovery, to put up these kinds of numbers as a rookie. He's off to a great start is he not?

bounty37h
07-08-2008, 12:48 PM

Crack Den?!?!? Dude, you have been watching too many movies and tv. As a former user, and long time youth counselor since who has seen many many people work hard to recover, yes, I can say with certainty someone could read and hear his story and make a change for themselves, i know this as fact cause I see it all the time. I got an opportunity to sit down with Josh this offseason and talk briefly to him about it directly as well, and thanked him for all he has done, and told him while I have many sports idols, he is actaully a hero to me.

levydl
07-08-2008, 01:58 PM
Yes. I believe many scouts while watching him in highschool would have told you he was the best they had ever seen. Im sure you know better than those guys too right>?

He's not the greatest player in history....yet. He might not become the best, but since his recovery, to put up these kinds of numbers as a rookie. He's off to a great start is he not?

No, as a 27 year old 2nd year player (you remember he played for the Reds last year, right?), he is no where close to putting up numbers that would even get him in the discussion of best player ever. It's unbelievable someone could even argue that.

Scouts thought Brien Taylor was the next Doc Gooden.

Jack Burton
07-08-2008, 02:18 PM

That was classless.
I know I'll be rooting for him to win the derby.

bgwilly31
07-08-2008, 04:49 PM
No, as a 27 year old 2nd year player (you remember he played for the Reds last year, right?), he is no where close to putting up numbers that would even get him in the discussion of best player ever. It's unbelievable someone could even argue that.

He played for half the year last year. This is his first full season.

And you see what happens. Hes starting the all star game and in the homerun derby. As the first full season in the MLB. Also leading the league in RBI's .

And nice balogne comment about scouts and brien taylor. That made a lot of sense and was a very good comparison. :rolleyes:

in 1999 he was named USA Baseball's Amateur Player of the Year and Baseball America's High School Player of the Year. Numerous scouts were quoted saying he is best they have ever seen. The last guy they had ever seen that looked close to as dominating was griffey.

Yeah im sure you get that kind of praise for nothing.

levydl
07-08-2008, 05:25 PM
He played for half the year last year. This is his first full season.

And you see what happens. Hes starting the all star game and in the homerun derby. As the first full season in the MLB. Also leading the league in RBI's .

And nice balogne comment about scouts and brien taylor. That made a lot of sense and was a very good comparison. :rolleyes:

in 1999 he was named USA Baseball's Amateur Player of the Year and Baseball America's High School Player of the Year. Numerous scouts were quoted saying he is best they have ever seen. The last guy they had ever seen that looked close to as dominating was griffey.

Yeah im sure you get that kind of praise for nothing.

So you're telling me that you think Josh Hamilton, when it's all said and done, will be among the greatest players in baseball history? That's what you're telling me? Because scouts thought he was awesome as an 18 year old (his career probably won't even be as good as the guy drafted right behind him)? He won't have 60 HRs as a 28 year old entering his 3rd season, and he's going to be in contention for best player ever?

That's delusional. Hamilton is a very good player, I like the guy, but people expect too much from him and blow his great story completely out of proportion. He's an all star, not all timer.

schmidty622
07-08-2008, 05:48 PM
Well excuse someone who prefers to live life glass half full.... jeese.

The guy was an addict who turned his life around. Lets hang him! You're something else.

I never said hang him, I said he gets too much love from Reds fans. His story is one of great personal triumph but the notion that he is the greatest player ever, or that he will inspire change in drug addicts is an absolute joke. Recovery takes a deep personal commitment and family intervention. Some baseball player isn't going to inspire change. Show me a recovered drug addict who credits Josh Hamilton as the inspiration to quit using, and I'll show you a liar.

Think about it, he really didn't do anything as a Red, yet people love him to the point of overkill. He brings a little attention to your crappy little city and he might as well have his number retired.

Turd Ferguson
07-08-2008, 06:15 PM
So you're telling me that you think Josh Hamilton, when it's all said and done, will be among the greatest players in baseball history? That's what you're telling me? Because scouts thought he was awesome as an 18 year old (his career probably won't even be as good as the guy drafted right behind him)? He won't have 60 HRs as a 28 year old entering his 3rd season, and he's going to be in contention for best player ever?

That's delusional. Hamilton is a very good player, I like the guy, but people expect too much from him and blow his great story completely out of proportion. He's an all star, not all timer.

Thank You, that's what needed to be said. Get over it Cincinnati, Hamilton is gone.

bgwilly31
07-08-2008, 06:38 PM

considering his situation i think he has potential to be one of the better to play the game. Because of his shortened career im not sure he will be spoken as the best or the numbers to say so. But hell yes he has the potential.

schmidty622
07-08-2008, 06:57 PM
He had the potential to be one of the best before he started doing crack. Now, not so much.

reds1869
07-08-2008, 07:04 PM
He had the potential to be one of the best before he started doing crack. Now, not so much.

How so? He has shortened his career to be certain. But I seem to remember Sandy Koufax being one of the best ever while playing very few seasons. He doesn't have to shatter every all-time record to be considered one of the greatest.

schmidty622
07-08-2008, 07:34 PM
Sandy Koufax played for ELEVEN years (1955-1966) and those were years in the prime of his career. He stopped because of an arthritic condition at the age of 30.

Thats not really comparable to Hamilton smoking away about a third of his professional career.

bounty37h
07-09-2008, 11:08 AM

And who knows, he could have been if he hadnt torn his hand and arm up in a bar fight. Side note, my first at bat ever in high school as a freshman on our varisty team was against senior and soon-to-be number one draft pick Brien Taylor. Yes, I struck out on 3 straight pitches (at leat the ump told me that, I never saw the ball :).

bounty37h
07-09-2008, 11:12 AM
I never said hang him, I said he gets too much love from Reds fans. His story is one of great personal triumph but the notion that he is the greatest player ever, or that he will inspire change in drug addicts is an absolute joke. Recovery takes a deep personal commitment and family intervention. Some baseball player isn't going to inspire change. Show me a recovered drug addict who credits Josh Hamilton as the inspiration to quit using, and I'll show you a liar.

Think about it, he really didn't do anything as a Red, yet people love him to the point of overkill. He brings a little attention to your crappy little city and he might as well have his number retired.

Wow, guess your a big Reds fan not from that "crappy little city" huh? Or are you even a fan, or just a computer tough guy, trying to provoke arguements without any positive input through the safety of your screen?
As for showing you someone who feels they can credit Josh for helping them decide or work to overcome use/abuse, well, come on down buddy, I can show you a roomfull of them any day of the week, as I work with them daily, and saw the direct impact Hammy had on them through his story, sharing it with others, truly was an inspiration (Hammy is fom my hometown area, and I followed his high school career). As for your arguement can only come from deep personal commitment and family support, your right, it does take deep personal commitment, duh, and family support is helpful, but some people need to feel inspired to make that dep commitment, and this is where Josh can, and has often, come in. My own personal experience, my family never even know i had used, let alone abused-they played no role in my recovery. I literally just woke up one morning and decided I couldnt do it anymore or would die, and havent touched the stuff for 10 years now-all on my own, but it was seeing someone else have their life ruined by it that made me wake up. Kids can see Josh that way, how he had thrown his life away, adn how he was able to turn it around. SO, still gonna call me a liar?

Jack Burton
07-09-2008, 05:02 PM
Sandy Koufax played for ELEVEN years (1955-1966) and those were years in the prime of his career. He stopped because of an arthritic condition at the age of 30.

Thats not really comparable to Hamilton smoking away about a third of his professional career.

Why the personal grudge against Hamilton?

schmidty622
07-09-2008, 05:54 PM
No grudge, just frustration over the amount of threads devoted to a non-Reds player on a Reds board.

BlastFurnace
07-10-2008, 12:32 PM

And still....he is better than any outfielder that the Reds have right now or have had since Eric Davis was at his peak.

The kids....ok...let's be consistent here. If we are going for examples to children, we need to suspend A-ROD for Adultery, Sabbathia for Obesity since our country is filled with a bunch of fat kids, Milton Bradley for a Bad Temper, etc.