PDA

View Full Version : what is your "crunch" food?

Red in Chicago
07-07-2008, 08:40 PM
I have two. One is healthy, the other not so much.

First, the healthy one which is an assortment of nuts: Mostly cashews, but often I add in walnuts, almonds, pistachios and/or hazelnuts.

The other is Tostitos:

I could probably give up the tostitos without too much trouble, but that would probably lead me to eating even more nuts than I already eat. Did I fail to mention that I probably eat at least 4 - 8 servings of the above mentioned nuts every day? Despite the health benefits of eating a "handful" of nuts a day, when one eats them like they're going out of style like me, it really adds up the daily caloric intake.

Basically, I'm looking for some healthy alternatives in which I can reduce my intake of nuts and yet still give me the "crunch" that I need. I don't like pretzels or popcorn, so those are out.

Help :)

marcshoe
07-07-2008, 09:29 PM
I heard on the news today that authorities in GB have ruled that Pringles are not potato chips, so they might or might not be healthy, depending on what they really are. :confused:

My guess, though, is not.

sonny
07-07-2008, 10:04 PM
Celery. Sweet, sweet celery.

Oxilon
07-07-2008, 10:08 PM
Celery. Sweet, sweet celery.

Ah celery, the only food you burn calories by eating. If only Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia were the same...

RedsFan75
07-07-2008, 10:47 PM
How do you feel about some of the 'newer' rice cakes. They sell them in lots of flavors and they are small bite size and have lots of crunch. So far I've tried a couple cheese, and ranch ones, and there is a Carmel drizzled one for the sweet crunch. You can also get a multi-grain type that I like better than the rice ones.

gonelong
07-07-2008, 11:38 PM
'Ants on a log' - celery with peanut butter on it, topped with raisons. My wife looked at me like I have 2 heads when I told her I had never heard of it. I have eaten it probably 8 out of the last 10 days .... making up for lost time.

GL

VR
07-08-2008, 02:35 AM
Heath bar.

Buttered Popcorn.

In any order.

texasdave
07-08-2008, 09:33 AM
Ah celery, the only food you burn calories by eating. If only Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia were the same...

My sister once went on a catabolic foods diet. There are lots of negative-calorie foods out there. She did lose weight, but fell off the catabolic wagon after about six weeks. Here is a link.

http://www.drkaslow.com/html/catabolic_foods.html

Johnny Footstool
07-08-2008, 10:28 AM
Pretzels. Less oil and fat than potato chips, but nearly as much salt.

PedroBourbon
07-08-2008, 08:16 PM
Celery and Captain Crunch Berries, (not together though)

Crunch topping in/on Sushi pretty good too.:thumbup:

VR
07-09-2008, 01:29 AM
Celery and Captain Crunch Berries, (not together though)

Crunch topping in/on Sushi pretty good too.:thumbup:

mmm Captain Crunch Berries. I used to eat em until the roof of my mouth was numb.

Dom Heffner
07-09-2008, 12:33 PM
Love the Buffalo Wing Pringles.

TeamCasey
07-09-2008, 01:04 PM
Flaming hot fries

Unassisted
07-09-2008, 01:24 PM
Snap peas are a good choice when celery gets tiresome. They cost more than and don't stay fresh as long as celery, though.

Bell peppers are another good one.

I wish I liked fresh broccoli better, but I have trouble getting through a bag of that stuff.

OldRightHander
07-09-2008, 04:10 PM
I'm quite fond of radishes. Of course you can drink a lot of water munching on those, which isn't really a bad thing unless you're on a long trip and have to stop at every rest area.

Spring~Fields
07-09-2008, 07:51 PM
Frozen "Snickers" bars, with ice cold Coke.

improbus
07-09-2008, 10:31 PM
Snyders Hard Pretzels
Granny Smith Apples

WebScorpion
07-10-2008, 02:34 AM
Apples, Celery... maybe see if you like any of the varieties of Sun Chips. I like the cheese ones, but the rest are too bland. Maybe mix some dried fruit into your nut mix to add fiber and fill you up faster? Dried cranberries, pineapples, mangoes, and banana chips are all pretty good IMO.

*BaseClogger*
07-11-2008, 11:27 PM
gold fish, carrots sticks, graham crackers