PDA

View Full Version : Who is the Indians pitcher that used to be a top prospect w/ the Reds?

redsrule2500
07-08-2008, 04:08 PM
I can't remember, any help appreciated!! :D

Jpup
07-08-2008, 04:09 PM
Jeremy Sowers was drafted by the Reds, but did not sign. He was then later drafted by Cleveland.

redsrule2500
07-08-2008, 04:12 PM
ok! That's who I thought it was...but according to http://www.baseball-reference.com/s/sowerje01.shtml he was drafted by the Indians so I was confused.

Thanks

princeton
07-08-2008, 04:14 PM
we never signed him.

RHP Jeff Stevens was traded for Brandon Philips. Great trade.

redsmetz
07-08-2008, 04:17 PM
ok! That's who I thought it was...but according to http://www.baseball-reference.com/s/sowerje01.shtml he was drafted by the Indians so I was confused.

Thanks

If you look at the full transaction history towards the bottom, it shows he was first drafted by the Reds and didn't sign; then was drafted and signed by Cleveland.

PuffyPig
07-08-2008, 04:56 PM
And, at this time, he appears to be a marginal prospect. He can't strike out anyone. I doubt he would ever record an out with our defense behind him.

RedlegJake
07-08-2008, 05:19 PM
The rules have changed, too. No longer would failure to sign a first rounder be a disaster - now you get a 1A pick to make up for it. I could see a team in a poor draft year punting a top pick now and getting to make it up the next draft in a better year. Or like the Reds in Sowers year, punting to save money one year planning to make it up the next year. You lose a year of development at most and if the guy is a late signee like Hildenbrandt then you actually wouldn't necessarily be out even the development time.

camisadelgolf
07-09-2008, 03:38 AM
When I saw this thread, I thought about the John Smiley deal that brought Jim Crowell, Danny Graves, Scott Winchester, and Damian Jackson.

princeton
07-09-2008, 05:54 AM
The rules have changed, too. No longer would failure to sign a first rounder be a disaster - now you get a 1A pick to make up for it.

compensation picks have been around for a long time.

Reds chose Mark Schramek as compensation for failure to sign Jeremy Sowers.

Big Klu
07-09-2008, 11:47 AM
compensation picks have been around for a long time.

Reds chose Mark Schramek as compensation for failure to sign Jeremy Sowers.

Good pick! :rolleyes: