PDA

View Full Version : Homes will be back ...

flyer85
07-10-2008, 12:50 PM
to take the start on Sunday according to Fay.

KittyDuran
07-10-2008, 12:52 PM
Is that his new nickname or did you just put an "s" instead of an "r"? :)

OnBaseMachine
07-10-2008, 12:52 PM
Dusty Baker said Homer Bailey will make Sunday's start.

"They say he's throwing the ball good right now," Baker said. "His velocity is better. His command is better. I hope so. We're pulling for him."

OnBaseMachine
07-10-2008, 12:53 PM
I would've left him in the minors for a few more months to work on some things.

Degenerate39
07-10-2008, 12:54 PM
I would've left him in the minors for a few more months to work on some things.

I would have too but I wouldn't mind seeing him get this spot start against the Brewers.

flyer85
07-10-2008, 12:55 PM
Is that his new nickname or did you just put an "s" instead of an "r"? :)I though it sounded better than "Homey the Clown" :D

BRM
07-10-2008, 12:57 PM
Is his velocity really better? I haven't followed the minor league game threads at that closely the last couple of weeks.

KronoRed
07-10-2008, 12:58 PM
Unless he's suddenly developed more pitches then I don't see how this can be a good thing.

flyer85
07-10-2008, 01:01 PM
Is his velocity really better? I haven't followed the minor league game threads at that closely the last couple of weeks.he did strike out 8 in 6 innings the other night. Missing bats is what he had been missing.

BRM
07-10-2008, 01:02 PM
he did strike out 8 in 6 innings the other night. Missing bats is what he had been missing.

That's a good sign.

OnBaseMachine
07-10-2008, 01:04 PM
Is his velocity really better? I haven't followed the minor league game threads at that closely the last couple of weeks.

Apparently Dick Pole worked with him right before he was sent down and the adjustments made helped him regain three-four mph on his fastball. His strikeouts did increase after being sent back down as he struckout 27 batters in 24.1 innings. In two of his four starts he didn't walk anybody but in the other two he walked three batters in 4.1 innings and four walks in six innings in the next start. In his last start he posted a 0 BB/8 K ratio in six innings. That was an encouraging start but I'd have liked to seen more of those before calling him up again.

Kc61
07-10-2008, 01:07 PM
If Harang is ok Homer will go right back down after one or two starts, I'm sure. If Harang is not ok, my guess is Homer still may go right back down to AAA. Unless he is a different pitcher on Sunday, I'd expect this is a one or two shot deal for Homer.

If a longer term answer is needed, my guess is that Maloney will come up. But since he's not on the forty man roster, Reds probably don't want to do that if it's only one start.

cumberlandreds
07-10-2008, 01:20 PM
I would have rather seen a bullpen day like Big Klu suggested in a thread from yesterday. Bringing Homer back just doesn't make any sense.:dunno:

VR
07-10-2008, 01:28 PM
Dusty dialing Louisville......
Homer answering.....
Dusty removes toothpick to talk in phone

Dusty; "What up Homes"
Homer; "eh, not much"
Dusty " Your the cat that I'm starting Saturday. You cool with that, dude?"

LoganBuck
07-10-2008, 01:39 PM
Bobby Livingston must return to the active roster around the 20th. Unless Homer magically becomes what he is supposed to be, he is only attempting to hold the fort.

dougdirt
07-10-2008, 01:40 PM
Bobby Livingston must return to the active roster around the 20th. Unless Homer magically becomes what he is supposed to be, he is only attempting to hold the fort.

Or Livingston could be sent down and passed through waivers. I can't think of a single major league team that would/should be willing to take a chance of him sticking to their roster at this point. He was a fringe guy before he had shoulder surgery....

LoganBuck
07-10-2008, 01:46 PM
Or Livingston could be sent down and passed through waivers. I can't think of a single major league team that would/should be willing to take a chance of him sticking to their roster at this point. He was a fringe guy before he had shoulder surgery....

You have probably been following him closer than I have. Is he going to be ready to pitch then? Truthfully I just want to protect Homer and Daryl, and let them learn there craft in Lville until September. Especially because Volquez and Cueto don't need to run their pitch and inning counts up in meaningless September outings.

dougdirt
07-10-2008, 01:49 PM
I am not sure if he will be ready by then or not, but I don't think it matters much. I would be shocked if someone claimed him off waivers if he were passed through.

Joseph
07-10-2008, 02:00 PM
And honestly, if he were claimed, big deal.

Is he going to win 10 games for us next year in the 5th slot? Probably not.

SMcGavin
07-10-2008, 05:07 PM
Well Homer has been better in AAA since going down. And the reports of increased velocity are encouraging. Still, I wouldn't be making this move. I also wonder if Matt Maloney has a future with the Reds. We need a spot starter from Louisville, Maloney has been very good recently, and the Reds choose the guy who gave them a 8.76 ERA three weeks ago.

dougdirt
07-10-2008, 05:15 PM
Well Homer has been better in AAA since going down. And the reports of increased velocity are encouraging. Still, I wouldn't be making this move. I also wonder if Matt Maloney has a future with the Reds. We need a spot starter from Louisville, Maloney has been very good recently, and the Reds choose the guy who gave them a 8.76 ERA three weeks ago.

Bailey is on the 40 man. Maloney isn't. Probably a big reason... well that and Maloney would be going on short rest if he were to pitch on Sunday.

SMcGavin
07-10-2008, 05:22 PM
Bailey is on the 40 man. Maloney isn't. Probably a big reason... well that and Maloney would be going on short rest if he were to pitch on Sunday.

Yeah I'd imagine the 40-man is part of it. The FO knew they needed a guy for this weekend so they could have just not thrown Maloney last night. Or just thrown him 3 innings or something.

If I'm not mistaken you get three option years. Maloney is 24, so if they call him up this year he would need to be ready for full-time ML duty by age 27. Yeah he's not on the 40-man right now, so put him on there and call him up for a few starts. Let's get a head start on figuring out whether or not he can succeed up here.

dougdirt
07-10-2008, 05:32 PM
Yeah I'd imagine the 40-man is part of it. The FO knew they needed a guy for this weekend so they could have just not thrown Maloney last night. Or just thrown him 3 innings or something.

If I'm not mistaken you get three option years. Maloney is 24, so if they call him up this year he would need to be ready for full-time ML duty by age 27. Yeah he's not on the 40-man right now, so put him on there and call him up for a few starts. Let's get a head start on figuring out whether or not he can succeed up here.

But then they risk losing someone else on the 40 man that they would need to send through waivers.

SMcGavin
07-10-2008, 05:41 PM
But then they risk losing someone else on the 40 man that they would need to send through waivers.

Coffey and McBeth are marginal relievers who will be 28 in a few months. Craig Tatum is a 25 year old catcher who has compiled a .660 OPS over almost 400 AA at-bats. The 40-man is not stocked with guys we can't afford to lose.

dougdirt
07-10-2008, 05:43 PM
Coffey and McBeth are marginal relievers who will be 28 in a few months. Craig Tatum is a 25 year old catcher who has compiled a .660 OPS over almost 400 AA at-bats. The 40-man is not stocked with guys we can't afford to lose.

Regardless, the Reds don't seem willing to risk these guys just yet.

Falls City Beer
07-10-2008, 07:03 PM
Right now, the entire Reds organization--from top to bottom--is running on three MLB starters--and two are younger than 25.

They've reached desperation levels and they need warm bodies to throw innings. Choosing what to do with a healthy arm (I assume) like Bailey's is no longer a choice.

Big Klu
07-10-2008, 08:26 PM
I would have rather seen a bullpen day like Big Klu suggested in a thread from yesterday. Bringing Homer back just doesn't make any sense.:dunno:

Sunday will still be a bullpen day--it's just that Homer will be added to the roster to take Harang's place, and he will get the first crack on the mound. All of the relievers should be available, though.

WebScorpion
07-11-2008, 11:56 AM
Ok, I find myself strangely hopeful about this. I think Homer may finally have it through his thick head that he must earn his way onto the ML team and he must continually work to improve the amazing talent God has given him. That baseball is a game of continuous adjustment, counter adjustment, and readjustment. I'm also very happy that Aaron Harang is getting some well-deserved rest...he desperately needs it. Go Homer! Make the decision to send you back down hard for them...you're the only one who can do that. :thumbup: