PDA

View Full Version : Josh Hamilton 2 run walk-off hr...

mroby85
07-10-2008, 01:27 PM
I figured this would be a thread, but since it wasn't, i just thought i'd add another josh hamilton one for schmidty :D

Hamilton hit a 2 run walk-off against k-rod last night, to beat the angels 5-4

man i miss that guy.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/recap;_ylt=Au8JLQVM_yLKxJnAVYntrHU5nYcB?gid=280709 113&prov=ap

07-10-2008, 01:29 PM
And Texas really misses Volquez.

mroby85
07-10-2008, 01:30 PM

I didn't mean it like that, I love volquez, I just miss hamilton.

BlastFurnace
07-10-2008, 01:35 PM

I live near Arlington, not many people...fans and commentators...miss Volquez. They are quite happy with the trade. For every 1 fan I hear that misses Volquez, there are...literally...10 who love Hamilton and don't miss Edinson.

bounty37h
07-10-2008, 01:52 PM
Ed, what do you hear about the kid Matt Harrison? He is from near me, as is Josh Hamilton, saw he had a pretty good MLB debut the other night.

killuminati35
07-10-2008, 02:00 PM
Both teams have a long history of having decent offenses and absolutely no pitching and look where that has got them. I still firmly believe that the Reds definitely made the right move.

mroby85
07-10-2008, 02:21 PM
i agree, i was very upset with the trade to begin with, but volquez has been better than i expected.

adampad
07-10-2008, 02:41 PM
I'm sticking with my all for nothing "give'em back" gamble. Neither Texas or the Reds are going to make a run, unless they have both Hamiliton and Volkie. So I say.....Volkie starts the All-Star game and pitches to Hamilton. A strikeout, weak grounder, or weak popup and we get him back. A Homer, triple, or RBI double, and we give Volkie back.

ChatterRed
07-10-2008, 04:44 PM
While I love Volquez and believe the Reds desperately need good starting pitching............in the end, I believe Texas has and will continue to have gotten the best of that deal unless Hamilton has a drug relapse. The dude is unbelievable.

Volquez will be a good pitcher. But I feel he will end up being just good, not great. Just my gut feeling. In fact, in the end, I believe Cueto will end up being the better pitcher of the two.

bgwilly31
07-10-2008, 05:34 PM
While I love Volquez and believe the Reds desperately need good starting pitching............in the end, I believe Texas has and will continue to have gotten the best of that deal unless Hamilton has a drug relapse. The dude is unbelievable.

Volquez will be a good pitcher. But I feel he will end up being just good, not great. Just my gut feeling. In fact, in the end, I believe Cueto will end up being the better pitcher of the two.

Absolutely agree.

schmidty622
07-10-2008, 05:49 PM
For every homerun Hamilton hits, a drug addict gets his crack.

Blue
07-10-2008, 08:01 PM
I know you didn't intend for this thread to turn into another "Hamilton or Volquez?" thread, but I just want to make one point.

Hamilton's RBI total is incredible right now. His OPS, however, is .911, closer to Adam Dunn (.905 OPS, on pace for 94 RBIs) than Albert Pujols (1.079 OPS, on pace for 85 RBIs, missed a few games with injury). I don't think Hamilton will be able to maintain anything close to that RBI level going forward if his OPS remains around .911 .

Volquez has a .606 OPSA, which compares favorably to Tim Lincecum (.652), Carlos Zambrano (.655), and Brandon Webb (.634). Some might call his first half a flash in the pan, and it may be, but if he puts up the same OPSA numbers in the second half, he's more likely to maintain his 2.36 ERA than Hamilton is his 157 RBI pace.

Basically, Hamilton's bat this season is not as good as his RBI total indicates, but Volquez's arm has been as good as his ERA indicates.

improbus
07-10-2008, 10:34 PM
I commend Hamilton on his ridiculous season, so let's delve a little deeper into the numbers. (I will use Dunn and Phillips as a counter)

Hamilton: 282 inherited runners; 89 RBI - 10 solo HR's
Dunn: 202 inherited runners; 53 RBI - 14 solo HR's
Phillips: 246 inherited runners; 56 total RBI - 9 solo HR's

SO: Percentage of Inherited runners knocked in:
Hamilton: 28%
Dunn: 19%
Phillips: 19%

Some others:
Carlos Lee: 21%
Pujols: 16%
Ryan Howard: 23%

Hamilton is having a ridiculous season so far. He is getting more chances overall, but he is most definitely capitalizing on them. One more comparison. In '99, Manny had 165 RBI's, the most in the last 15 to twenty years:
Manny: 29% (rounded up)
-Hamilton is on a historic run.

RedsFanInBama
07-10-2008, 10:50 PM
Pitching wins. The Reds made a move that is going to be better for them long-term. I loved watching Hamilton play and I was disappointed when he got traded, but it is for the best IMO. The quickest way to contention is a strong pitching staff. We're on our way to having that.

dsmith421
07-10-2008, 11:00 PM
Pitching wins. The Reds made a move that is going to be better for them long-term. I loved watching Hamilton play and I was disappointed when he got traded, but it is for the best IMO. The quickest way to contention is a strong pitching staff. We're on our way to having that.

This.

paintmered
07-10-2008, 11:07 PM
I'm going to leave this thread open. But in the future, please don't start a new thread every time Josh does something noteworthy. Instead, continue this one.

mroby85
07-10-2008, 11:32 PM
I'm going to leave this thread open. But in the future, please don't start a new thread every time Josh does something noteworthy. Instead, continue this one.

Yea, i won't make a habit out of it, i just thought it would be humerous because of how worked up schmidty gets over josh hamilton threads.

Brutus
07-10-2008, 11:36 PM
Yea, i won't make a habit out of it, i just thought it would be humerous because of how worked up schmidty gets over josh hamilton threads.

I'm as enamored with Hamilton's season as anyone, though I sometimes catch myself wondering why folks continue to bring it up on here.

Certainly a lot of people wish the Reds didn't trade Hamilton, but at the same time, I don't think anyone regrets the trade or feels (at least now) that it was a mistake. It seems necessary, even if it's hard to digest his stardom elsewhere.

I think Reds fans are just torturing themselves by keeping such close tabs on Hamilton. He's a fantastic player, but the wounds would heal sooner by not thinking about it.

schmidty622
07-11-2008, 07:04 AM
Hamilton was 2-5 with a homer (21!!!) and 2 RBI (91!!!!111:eek:).

Wow I so miss hims. I always said from the beginning that I wish he was still here because then the Reds would have a good team.

It makes me really sad that he is gone. What do you guys think the rangers will do to improve at the trade deadline. I WANNA SEE JOSH IN THE PLAYOFFS!!!!1:cool::cool::cool:

For him to make it to the playoffs would be so inspiring. I might be able to get the courage up to get out of my mom's basement and go to community college.

Fon Duc Tow
07-11-2008, 08:13 AM
:D

reds1869
07-11-2008, 08:46 AM
:deadhorse

Lockdwn11
07-11-2008, 11:17 AM
I live near Arlington, not many people...fans and commentators...miss Volquez. They are quite happy with the trade. For every 1 fan I hear that misses Volquez, there are...literally...10 who love Hamilton and don't miss Edinson.

I believe that, I mean just look around the league at all the good pitching that the Rangers have let get away one way or another.

bgwilly31
07-11-2008, 12:08 PM
Certainly a lot of people wish the Reds didn't trade Hamilton, but at the same time, I don't think anyone regrets the trade or feels (at least now) that it was a mistake. .

you'd be wrong.

Many of us are undecided.

bounty37h
07-11-2008, 12:09 PM
For every homerun Hamilton hits, a drug addict gets his crack.

Dude, seriously, can you be any more of a jerk_ _ _ ?? Must be lonely being you.

bounty37h
07-11-2008, 12:12 PM
Hamilton was 2-5 with a homer (21!!!) and 2 RBI (91!!!!111:eek:).

Wow I so miss hims. I always said from the beginning that I wish he was still here because then the Reds would have a good team.

It makes me really sad that he is gone. What do you guys think the rangers will do to improve at the trade deadline. I WANNA SEE JOSH IN THE PLAYOFFS!!!!1:cool::cool::cool:

For him to make it to the playoffs would be so inspiring. I might be able to get the courage up to get out of my mom's basement and go to community college.

Dont worry man, we know you will never leave your moms basement for any reason.

Brutus
07-11-2008, 12:46 PM
you'd be wrong.

Many of us are undecided.

Undecided is not the same as regret or mistake.

:thumbup:

schmidty622
07-11-2008, 11:41 PM
top this thread cus its insane not to have a hamilton thread
in the top five threads on the sundeck.

mroby85
07-12-2008, 01:34 AM
I can top it right now, because it's a different night, but Hamilton yet again 3-5, with 2 rbi's and SB!

Fon Duc Tow
07-12-2008, 09:18 AM
I think it would be cooler if his name was Gosh! Hamilton.

That way whenever anyone talked about him, they'd have to say Gosh! Hamilton.

And all would be well.

schmidty622
07-12-2008, 12:39 PM
Gosh Hamilton? Grow up peter pan. Count chocula.

mroby85
07-13-2008, 12:04 AM
Sorry to top the thread, but it's another night, and Hamilton is 2-5 with 2 more RBI's, lol.

Orenda
07-13-2008, 02:26 AM
I love seeing Hamilton do well, but it amazes me at how flimsy a lot of fans are with their rooting interests. Just a year ago, he was the toast of the town. Personally, I would rather have Hamilton than Volquez because I was excited about the possibility of an outfield with he and Bruce playing in the corners with the hope the Reds could have developed a legitimate CF. That would have been an above average defensive and offensive combination for years to come. That being said though, I'm through criticizing that trade, because at the end of the day the Reds got a solid pitcher who despite my own personal preferences has been very beneficial for the Reds. With "The Trade" the issue for a lot of fans wasn't, why trade Kearns and Lopez? but why trade them for Gary Majewski, Billy Bray, Royce Clayton and two question marks?? Withith this trade the question for me wasn't why Volquez, but why not Dunn, Griffey, Encarnacion, etc? Instead of Hamilton. Anyhow I continue to laugh at my friends who pull against Josh and hope for him to fail, get injured, or relapse solely because they are Reds fans. It's a concerning character trait that I no longer ignore and take note of. I’m rooting for both Josh and Volquez, but as long as I hear the drug addict chants I'll be chanting M-V-P.

Lockdwn11
07-13-2008, 10:41 AM
I love seeing Hamilton do well, but it amazes me at how flimsy a lot of fans are with their rooting interests. Just a year ago, he was the toast of the town. Personally, I would rather have Hamilton than Volquez because I was excited about the possibility of an outfield with he and Bruce playing in the corners with the hope the Reds could have developed a legitimate CF. That would have been an above average defensive and offensive combination for years to come. That being said though, I'm through criticizing that trade, because at the end of the day the Reds got a solid pitcher who despite my own personal preferences has been very beneficial for the Reds. With "The Trade" the issue for a lot of fans wasn't, why trade Kearns and Lopez? but why trade them for Gary Majewski, Billy Bray, Royce Clayton and two question marks?? Withith this trade the question for me wasn't why Volquez, but why not Dunn, Griffey, Encarnacion, etc? Instead of Hamilton. Anyhow I continue to laugh at my friends who pull against Josh and hope for him to fail, get injured, or relapse solely because they are Reds fans. It's a concerning character trait that I no longer ignore and take note of. Iím rooting for both Josh and Volquez, but as long as I hear the drug addict chants I'll be chanting M-V-P.

Because as the Reds GM at the time said the Rangers wanted HAMILTON he tried to get them to take others but they told him if you want Volquez it will take Josh Hamilton to do it.

bounty37h
07-14-2008, 11:03 AM
top this thread cus its insane not to have a hamilton thread
in the top five threads on the sundeck.

Reading this guys posts makes me realize, RedsZone needs an ignore poster option.