PDA

View Full Version : Mariners release Sexson and DL Bedard

flyer85
07-10-2008, 02:55 PM
Guess that takes Bedard off the market. Quick, trade Arroyo.

OnBaseMachine
07-10-2008, 02:57 PM
Not trading Jay Bruce or Johnny Cueto for Erik Bedard last offseason may have been the best move of Wayne Krivsky's tenure.

Stormy
07-10-2008, 03:17 PM
Not trading Jay Bruce or Johnny Cueto for Erik Bedard last offseason may have been the best move of Wayne Krivsky's tenure.

:thumbup:

red-in-la
07-10-2008, 05:30 PM

shoulda traded Harang....:D

membengal
07-10-2008, 05:37 PM
Actually, yes, they should have. Beane had the right idea shopping Haren when he did, and the Reds would have been well served selling similarly high with Harang. A few around here noted that at the time, too.

jojo
07-10-2008, 06:29 PM
Guess that takes Bedard off the market. Quick, trade Arroyo.

Not really, with it being kinda retroactive and with the ASB, it's not a big deal.

RedsManRick
07-10-2008, 06:30 PM
Actually, yes, they should have. Beane had the right idea shopping Haren when he did, and the Reds would have been well served selling similarly high with Harang. A few around here noted that at the time, too.

I was certainly on the trade Harang bandwagon as part of the Plan2009 goal.

jojo
07-10-2008, 06:30 PM

Absolutely and its one of those smart things that wont show up on a transaction list....

Benihana
07-10-2008, 07:11 PM
Anybody wanna take a flyer on Sexson as the RH-hitting option off the bench (assuming he would take the league minimum)?

jojo
07-10-2008, 07:21 PM
Anybody wanna take a flyer on Sexson as the RH-hitting option off the bench (assuming he would take the league minimum)?

According to Riggleman, the Ms released Ritchie for slouching his shoulders.

The Reds aren't going anywhere this season so I'd pass on adding to their clubhouse SSF metric (slouched shoulders factor).

durl
07-10-2008, 10:35 PM
For league minimum, would Sexson be a terrible gamble? I mean, the guy has shown that he can really hit. He's only dropped off over the last 2 seasons.

Perhaps a change of scenery would do him good?

flyer85
07-10-2008, 10:43 PM
Not really, with it being kinda retroactive and with the ASB, it's not a big deal.time is running out quickly because I woud think teams would want to see at least a couple of starts. ESPN reported tonight that his arm issue has been a problem most of the season.

Jpup
07-10-2008, 10:50 PM
time is running out quickly because I woud think teams would want to see at least a couple of starts. ESPN reported tonight that his arm issue has been a problem most of the season.

Bedard seems to have been hurting all season. He just hasn't had the velocity he once had. I've watched him a few times and he just is not the same.

GADawg
07-10-2008, 10:57 PM

uh, no if for no other reason than I couldn't handle hearing Grandpa Grande call him Richie SexTon every night. I'm already thinking of cancelling my MLB package 'cause of Jerry HaRRiston. I hate to beat a dead horse but for the love of God could the Reds put 'ole George out to stud.

btw I loved the other night when the Reds scored a run to go up 2-1 and Grande announced that the Reds were playing a "little add on".

Jpup
07-10-2008, 11:10 PM
uh, no if for no other reason than I couldn't handle hearing Grandpa Grande call him Richie SexTon every night. I'm already thinking of cancelling my MLB package 'cause of Jerry HaRRiston. I hate to beat a dead horse but for the love of God could the Reds put 'ole George out to stud.

btw I loved the other night when the Reds scored a run to go up 2-1 and Grande announced that the Reds were playing a "little add on".

I can not stand to listen to George Grande. He seemingly get worse every day. I love the Reds and have to watch, but he's killing me. I'm so sick of listening to him cheer for the other teams. He gets way too excited when the opponents do something well.

cincrazy
07-10-2008, 11:17 PM
Bedard seems to have been hurting all season. He just hasn't had the velocity he once had. I've watched him a few times and he just is not the same.

Bedard was also hurt at the end of last year, I think the O's shut him down for most of September. I'm not sure if that injury is related to this one, but nonetheless, leaves some cause for concern.

LvJ
07-11-2008, 12:21 AM
Pirates traded Craig Wilson to Seattle today for PBTL.

RedsManRick
07-11-2008, 12:23 AM
Pirates traded Craig Wilson to Seattle today for PBTL.

Nothing says competition like swapping deck chairs.

jojo
07-11-2008, 07:10 AM
Nothing says competition like swapping deck chairs.

Right now the Ms have some serious credibility issues..... Ownership had better be awake, have their heads out of the sand hole and choose wisely.....because its a cluster of an organization in its current form that is teetering on chronic comedy relief.

redsrule2500
07-11-2008, 08:42 AM

Do you honestly find how someone talks THAT annoying? I mean...come on. :rolleyes:

redsrule2500
07-11-2008, 08:44 AM

For league minimum, would Sexson be a terrible gamble? I mean, the guy has shown that he can really hit. He's only dropped off over the last 2 seasons.

Perhaps a change of scenery would do him good?

I agree. I just don't think this will happen, but I really like richie.

blumj
07-11-2008, 08:57 AM
Bedard was also hurt at the end of last year, I think the O's shut him down for most of September. I'm not sure if that injury is related to this one, but nonetheless, leaves some cause for concern.
That was reported to be an oblique strain. There just wasn't enough season left to do anything else.

jojo
07-11-2008, 09:10 AM
Truth be told, Seattle is a swirling vortex of dysfunctional suck with whatever ounce of credibility the organization has being derived almost solely from it's international scouting and player development systems.

Since roughly early May, Bedard really has decided he's not going to do anything that might lead to an injury that would hurt his chances of getting paid what he's worth in a year and a half. In other words, he's not going to stick his head above the bunker wall for this collection of clowns.

Call him all the fowl names in the book possible but it doesn't change the fact that had he decided to charge over the wall headlong into the barbed wire and machine gun fire, the Ms fortunes on the battlefield wouldn't have been changed on iota.....

Tony Cloninger
07-11-2008, 09:21 AM
Say what??

Nate Colbert took a similiar tumble like Sexon has. Just completely lost it...and went into the tank in 74-76....after some pretty good years with a bad SD team in a ballpark not conducive to hitting.

membengal
07-11-2008, 09:39 AM
I was certainly on the trade Harang bandwagon as part of the Plan2009 goal.

Indeed you were. And a fine plan it was too. I was rooting for your viewpoint to win out.

Reds Fanatic
07-17-2008, 03:45 PM
Sexson has signed with the Yankees.

The New York Yankees have reached a tentative agreement with Richie Sexson, who was released by the Seattle Mariners a week ago.

Sexson fits in New York because the Yankees needed a right-handed slugger to match up against left-handed pitching -- and Sexson had a .344 average against lefties this year.

Assuming the deal is completed, he'll be in the lineup Saturday against Oakland.

The Yankees will only have to pay Sexson the prorated minimum of $390,000 from his $14 million salary with the Mariners. Seattle is eating the remainder of the nearly $6 million Sexson is owed for the season.

Sexson was batting .218 with just 30 RBIs in 74 games when the Mariners cut him loose, on July 10. He hit a career-worst .205 with 21 homers and 100 strikeouts in 2007.

HokieRed
07-17-2008, 03:46 PM
Bedard's injury suggests why you should never, never trade a position player of the caliber of Hamilton for a pitcher.

CTA513
07-17-2008, 03:53 PM
Bedard's injury suggests why you should never, never trade a position player of the caliber of Hamilton for a pitcher.

Position players also get hurt, the Reds have a right fielder that was a stud before he suffered injury after injury.

OnBaseMachine
07-17-2008, 03:54 PM

Hamilton's drug abuse and injury history suggests you should trade him for a pitcher the caliber of Volquez.

Chip R
07-17-2008, 04:02 PM

So has Junior.