PDA

View Full Version : Who makes the bigger impact?

bucksfan2
07-10-2008, 03:02 PM
The recent trades for Harden and CC got me thinking. Does a pitcher or a position player make a bigger impact when each is traded for near the allstar break/trading deadline? CC and Harden may get what 13 starts for the rest of the season. Even if they are great and the team goes say 10-3 with them on the mound that only accounts for ~20% of the teams games. A position player on the other hand has a chance to make an impact in each and every game.

I think if you make it to a playoff series the pitcher can make the bigger impact. Throwing CC and Sheets as a 1-2 punch in a 5-7 game series is a big boost for the Brewers but they first have to make it to the series. I know one player doesn't make a team but I don't know if a player can have a bigger impact than Beltran had for the Astros a few years ago. I was just wondering if CC or Harden could provide that sort of impact?

nate
07-10-2008, 03:19 PM
The recent trades for Harden and CC got me thinking. Does a pitcher or a position player make a bigger impact when each is traded for near the allstar break/trading deadline? CC and Harden may get what 13 starts for the rest of the season. Even if they are great and the team goes say 10-3 with them on the mound that only accounts for ~20% of the teams games. A position player on the other hand has a chance to make an impact in each and every game.

I think if you make it to a playoff series the pitcher can make the bigger impact. Throwing CC and Sheets as a 1-2 punch in a 5-7 game series is a big boost for the Brewers but they first have to make it to the series. I know one player doesn't make a team but I don't know if a player can have a bigger impact than Beltran had for the Astros a few years ago. I was just wondering if CC or Harden could provide that sort of impact?

Just my opinion, but I think the a starting pitcher has equal impact to the team because they are involved in every play when they're pitching. A position player is only involved when they bat, are on base or when the ball is hit to them. So even though the pitcher only pitches every few days, he's involved in a very high percentage of plays in the games that he plays.

mth123
07-11-2008, 02:14 AM
A good starter who goes deep into games and replaces the worst starter in the rotation by way of his acquisition impacts more than the game he's pitching. In theory, you'll be putting a guy in who saves the bullpen in place of a guy who normally wears it out. In July, August and September, when the innings have begun to pile up, that is a huge effect that impacts not only the day that particular starter pitches, but, by way of getting the pen in order, should make the team more competitive on the other days as well.

I think the overall effect of any acquisition depends on how much of an upgrade he is from the player being replaced. A starter is a guy who is more likely to replace a negative, below replacement level player than a position player.