PDA

View Full Version : More Manny being Manny

HumnHilghtFreel
07-11-2008, 10:28 AM
Personally, I find the guy hilarious and refreshing, but I'm not sure where the line is anymore before baseball will step in with him.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2008/07/manns_call_from.html

http://bostondirtdogs.boston.com/BDD_MR_lost_7.9.08_bgjd.jpg

Manny's call from the Wall
Email|Link|Comments (349) Posted by Steve Silva, Boston.com Staff July 10, 2008 11:41 AM

During the sixth-inning pitching change in the Sox-Twins game yesterday afternoon, Manny Ramirez climbed into the Green Monster and could be seen talking on a cell phone as Javier Lopez entered the game in relief of Sox starter Josh Beckett ...

cumberlandreds
07-11-2008, 10:31 AM
As long as he continues to produce he will get away with anything short of murder. When his numbers inevitably decline some season then he will be vilified. That's just the way things work.

Team Clark
07-11-2008, 10:32 AM
He brings "life" to baseball when he's not shoving people to the ground.

lollipopcurve
07-11-2008, 11:00 AM
Eh, I dunno. This is starting to look commercial to me. Either he's asking his agent if he's been inside the Monster long enough yet, or he's asking Lucchino.

Manny Being Manny™

©2008 Red Sox Nation, Inc.

blumj
07-11-2008, 11:24 AM
I wonder where Manny got the phone.

http://wbztv.com/sports/mike.lowell.stealing.2.766736.html

Did you know Red Sox third baseman Mike Lowell got caught stealing at Fenway Monday night?

During the top of the ninth of a 1-0 game against Minnesota, Lowell chased a foul ball to the stands along the third baseline. The ball landed several rows back. Video from the game shows Lowell swiping a cell phone from the top of the short wall along the front row. (He eventually gave it back.)

Dustin Pedroia and Sean Casey told Roche that they were in awe of what Lowell was able to do.

durl
07-11-2008, 11:46 AM
Part of me wants to say that it's cool to see a guy having fun but there's another part of me that says he needs to quit goofing off. Leaving the field of play during a pitching change gives the impression that he just doesn't care. If he wants to "Manny" about for awhile, go over and talk to fans in the stands or something.

I agree with cumberlandreds. If he starts slumping, Manny being Manny will get really old.

RedsManRick
07-11-2008, 12:00 PM
Keep producing and you can do whatever antics you want, provided that they don't hurt anybody else's ability to produce. But if you slump, you better make sure your focus is on getting out of it.

Matt700wlw
07-11-2008, 01:23 PM
I'm surprised he didn't do it while play was going on...

GAC
07-11-2008, 08:00 PM
Remember Tom Browning? ...

In 1993, Tom Browning was actually fined $500 for leaving the Cincinnati dugout during the Reds’ 4-3 win over the Cubs, and watching the rest of the game from one of the rooftops outside Wrigley.

I thought it was hilarious when they flashed the cameras out there, and lo and behold.... there's Tom! :lol:

Chip R
07-11-2008, 11:18 PM
Remember Tom Browning? ...

In 1993, Tom Browning was actually fined $500 for leaving the Cincinnati dugout during the Reds’ 4-3 win over the Cubs, and watching the rest of the game from one of the rooftops outside Wrigley.

I thought it was hilarious when they flashed the cameras out there, and lo and behold.... there's Tom! :lol:

I think he was having a cold one, was he not? Of course Browning wasn't even pitching that day which is a big difference from what he did and what Manny did.

Cyclone792
07-11-2008, 11:20 PM
I think he was having a cold one, was he not? Of course Browning wasn't even pitching that day which is a big difference from what he did and what Manny did.

But that Browning game could have gone into extra innings. ;)

Chip R
07-11-2008, 11:57 PM
But that Browning game could have gone into extra innings. ;)

Dusty was still a player then, wasn't he? ;)

Jpup
07-12-2008, 02:57 AM
I was watching the Cubs game today and a guy gave his son a beer. No big deal right? The kid looked to be about 10. They start them early.

BCubb2003
07-12-2008, 08:51 AM
It's all Griffey's fault. Wearing the cap backwards began the decline of The Way The Game Is Played.

GAC
07-12-2008, 10:25 AM
I still say one of the most comical things I've seen in recent years was back in '99 when Bobby Valentine, after being ejected from the game, changes clothes, dons sunglasses and a fake mustache, and sneaks back into the Met's dugout. :lol:

http://www.mysticgames.com/famouspeople/pictures/BobbyValentine.jpg

OldRightHander
07-12-2008, 11:51 AM
How about the guy who stole Albert Belle's confiscated bat from the umpire's room back in the mid 90s? Was that Grimsley that did that? I think he climbed through the ceiling and swiped the corked bat. I remember getting a good laugh when that story broke.

Chip R
09-18-2008, 12:39 PM
Curt Schilling needs to stop being such a shrinking violet. ;)

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3595012

Schilling says Manny's behavior disrespected Francona, role players
ESPN.com news services

Updated: September 18, 2008, 12:26 PM ET

The media called Manny Ramirez's quirks "Manny being Manny." Curt Schilling sees it differently.

In an interview Wednesday on Boston radio station WEEI-AM, the injured Boston Red Sox starter took his former teammate to task, saying Manny's "level of disrespect to teammates and people was unfathomable."

Ramirez was dealt to the Los Angeles Dodgers at the trade deadline after complaining the team had tried to turn the fans against him and that the Red Sox no longer deserved him. Ramirez was in the last year of his contract, with the team holding two one-year options for $20 million each.

In eight seasons in Boston, Ramirez's quirks were widely seen as harmless, or dismissed as a small price to pay for having such a gifted hitter in the lineup. But Schilling, speaking with "Big Show" host Glenn Ordway and former Red Sox players Brian Daubach and Lou Merloni, said Manny's antics disrespected his teammates.

"The guy got to dress in a locker away from the team for seven years," Schilling said. "And then [when] he's on this crusade to get out of here, all of a sudden he's in the locker room every day, voicing his displeasure without even having to play the game that night."

Manny's behavior was hardest on Red Sox manager Terry Francona, Schilling said.

"Nothing makes a guy that respects the game and respects human beings like Terry Francona feel worse than looking at a guy and saying, 'Go ahead, [mess] with me, [mess] with your teammates, I'll put you in the lineup,' and then turn around to a guy who's there every day early working his [butt] off who gets 110 at-bats a year and saying, 'You know what? Yeah, I can't put you in there tonight,' "Schilling said.

"There were times when you had players who were on like fire duty, 'Show up tomorrow, I'm not sure if you're playing or not, we've gotta find out what [Manny] wants to do.' That's not fair to anybody."

Ramirez, who hit .299 with a .529 slugging percentage and 68 RBIs in 100 games in Boston, has seen his production skyrocket since joining the Dodgers. In 44 games in L.A., he's hitting .400 (64 for 160) with a .738 slugging percentage and 44 RBIs entering Thursday's games. He's batting .330 for the season overall.

Schilling said his teammates are not angry that Ramirez's power numbers have spiked dramatically since he donned Dodgers blue.

"I wouldn't say [they're ticked], I'd probably say disappointed more than anything," Schilling said. "Because the one thing about Manny is that he was ... he was very kind, and well-mannered, but there were spurts and times when you didn't know who he was. You know, he was always kind and nice for the most part, but he'd show up the next day and say, 'I'm through with this team, I want out now.' "

Schilling acknowledged that it was awkward for him to speak out on Ramirez, given the fact that he has missed the entire season with an injury. "I'm the last person in the world who should be telling you who's right and who's wrong in this," he said.

"But I was a teammate, a member of this family, and I saw it ... And to me, it was always those guys, the guys who played a crucial role on teams that weren't the marquee players, are the ones that were disrespected the most."

Addressing Merloni, who was a role player in Boston, he said, "Lou, you're in Seattle, and if you refused to get on a team plane, you know what they'd do? They'd give you an Air France ticket home."

Chip R
09-18-2008, 12:44 PM
In L.A., it's a different story.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=crasnick_jerry&id=3590503

Manny making impact on field, in clubhouse
By Jerry Crasnick
ESPN.com
Updated: September 18, 2008

As Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti watches Manny Ramirez transform his team in a multitude of ways, he reflects on a conversation he had with Bill Mueller, one of his closest advisers, on a field in Peoria, Ariz., during the instructional league in the fall of 2006.

The two men were discussing the merits of baseball's best players when Mueller gave his take on Ramirez, his former teammate on Boston's 2004 world championship club. There was more to Ramirez, Mueller revealed, than the clueless soul who relieved himself behind Fenway Park's Green Monster and sprawled across the outfield grass to intercept a throw from Johnny Damon.

"Billy told me, 'This guy is great in a room. He loves to play, he's passionate about it, and he works at it,'" Colletti recalled. "I never forgot that."

So when Colletti had a chance to rent a future Hall of Famer for a bargain price in late July, he ignored the furor swirling around Ramirez in Boston and took the plunge. Six weeks later, Ramirez is the biggest thing to hit Los Angeles since the high-occupancy vehicle lane.

The Dodgers, 54-54 on July 31, have since gone 25-19 and gained 5˝ games on Arizona to take charge in the National League West. They've received strong starting pitching from Chad Billingsley, Derek Lowe and Hiroki Kuroda, watched the bullpen hold up through the extended absence of closer Takashi Saito, weathered an eight-game losing streak, and benefited from a September fade by the Diamondbacks.

Still, nothing has changed the balance of power in the division like the arrival of Ramirez. Call him a mercenary, question his motivation, savage him for his pre-trade jog-a-thon in Boston, and wonder aloud if he deserves more than a short-term deal on the free-agent market this winter. Just don't dispute his impact on Los Angeles' revival.

It all begins, of course, with Ramirez's specialty. With his .400 batting average and 1.223 OPS as a Dodger, he's making folks at the Elias Sports Bureau and Stats Inc. scramble for historical precedents.

Here are two: (1) Ramirez recently joined Hank Sauer of the 1949 Chicago Cubs as the second player to hit at least 14 homers and drive in 40 runs in his first 40 games following a midseason trade; and (2) with one more long ball, he will join Fred McGriff, Mark McGwire, David Justice and Carlos Beltran as the only players in history to hit 15 homers for two teams in the same season.

In a recent win over Arizona, Ramirez passed Reggie Jackson and Frank Thomas on baseball's career RBI list. Four days later in San Diego, he hit his 522nd homer to move past Ted Williams, Willie McCovey and Thomas. Most nights, he's dressed and gone so quickly after games that the beat writers are lucky to scrounge a comment. Some people wonder if he even showers on his way out the door.

But he sure is conspicuous in the batter's box, working deep counts, hitting balls to the right-center field gap and monopolizing the discussion when opponents try to devise ways to navigate the Los Angeles lineup.

"I lived in the other dugout for 12 years trying to figure out how to get around him," said manager Joe Torre, in reference to his stint in New York. "Now it's the other manager's turn."

Ramirez's other big contribution is harder to quantify: By assuming the role of leading man in the clubhouse, he has made the most startling Hollywood transformation since Bill Murray went from "Caddyshack" to "Lost in Translation."

It's no secret that the Dodgers have had trouble melding their youth movement with a desire to acquire veteran security blankets at several positions. The young guys -- Matt Kemp and Andre Ethier, to name two -- carry themselves with a self-assurance that can come across as a swagger, or big league-itis. And the veterans have neither the time nor the inclination for community outreach.

The Dodgers have needed someone with the stature to bridge the gap, but all they've gotten is a bridge to nowhere. Luis Gonzalez wasn't the answer. Jeff Kent, while a pro in the sense of commitment to winning and playing hurt, is not exactly the nurturing type. Nomar Garciaparra prefers to keep to himself, and Juan Pierre tends to go into a shell when he's not contributing. Mark Sweeney and Gary Bennett have the personalities to be icebreakers, but as bench players, they're too low-profile for the job.

Ramirez has been influential not as a Kirk Gibson-type leader -- challenging his teammates and injecting a sense of urgency and purpose -- but by reducing the tension level in the room. He's Senor Congeniality.

"When we try to bring a seriousness to what we do with young players, we tell them that it's fun," Torre said. "But they're so locked into the serious part of it, they don't know how to blend it. Then Manny comes in with his personality and his work ethic, and they have a sense of, 'Oh, OK, that's why he's special.'

"Personality-wise, he might not be comfortable talking to the media, but he's very comfortable within the confines of this clubhouse, on the field and in the dugout. I think he's really given these players an opportunity to enjoy themselves and smile a little bit."

Some Ramirez stories have already made the rounds. Ramirez, who couldn't be troubled to sprint down the line in Boston, jokingly refers to himself as "Dave Roberts" in Los Angeles for his baserunning ability. His two steals as a Dodger match his total over the previous 3˝ seasons in Boston.

And he's always good for a yuk. In San Diego, Dodgers outfielder Delwyn Young twisted strands of black medical tape into dreadlocks, and Ethier wore them to inspire the team. "Manny rally dreads," the Dodgers called them.

Some stories are more subtle. On one of Ramirez's first days with the team, he took a chair and moved it from one spot in the clubhouse to another every 15 minutes, initiating a new conversation with a circle of players around him.

Dodgers first-base coach Mariano Duncan took notice recently when Ramirez struck out with the bases loaded, then played head cheerleader when first baseman James Loney delivered a big hit.

"Manny's in the dugout jumping and pointing to Loney and saying, 'Yeah, you picked me up! You picked me up!'" Duncan said. "When you have a guy who's a future Hall of Famer who plays the game with enthusiasm and produces every day, you can't measure that. He really surprises me. What I heard about him before is totally different from what I'm seeing now."

Kemp, who hit .382 for the Dodgers last September, has taken his lumps this month. Before a recent game against Arizona, he spent time in the cage receiving a tutorial from Ramirez, who never tires of sharing tips or insights on hitting.

"Manny is a big believer in being patient and getting that good pitch to hit," Kemp said. "He thinks it helps to go deep in counts. He says the more pitches you see, the better chance the pitcher will make a mistake."

Of course, all this Manny love elicits scorn in Boston, where Ramirez is now regarded as persona non goofball for his antics. The Red Sox have ripped off a 28-15 record since Ramirez's departure and are living a headache-free existence with Jason Bay as their left fielder.

Torre has also had to tread lightly with Ramirez at times. He deftly averted a showdown over Manny's long hair and winked when Ramirez began playing music in the clubhouse in violation of team rules.

It remains to be seen whether Ramirez and the Dodgers have a future beyond Halloween. Los Angeles seems like a nice fit for Manny, with a less carnivorous media and more breathing room when he goes out in public. But the team has yet to talk contract with Ramirez or his agent, Scott Boras.

"This is not the time or place to get into that," Colletti said. "I think everybody is focused on trying to get this club as far as they can get it."

When asked to assess Ramirez's impact on the field, at the gate and the team's gift shop, where No. 99 jerseys are a hot item, Dodgers owner Frank McCourt opted for an enthusiastic but restrained, "He's been everything we hoped for."

Translation: The Dodgers love what they've seen. But they're hesitant to get overly gushy in their praise, given the likelihood that one of Boras' researchers is clipping quotes for use as negotiating leverage down the road.

History shows that Ramirez's attention span tends to wane and his moods are prone to swing, so this relationship is subject to fluctuation. For now, suffice it to say that Manny loves his new team, and the team and city love him back. He has brought hope to a franchise with a total of one postseason victory in the past 20 years.

Next up: A Manny Ramirez look-alike contest before Saturday's game against San Francisco, with contestants vying for a chance to meet their hero.

"Part of the culture of Los Angeles is the star presence," Colletti said. "The fan base here is drawn to people of charismatic character and production. Production first, I would think. It doesn't matter how charismatic somebody is if they're hitting .200."

No matter where Ramirez is playing in 2009, that's one neighborhood he'll never visit.

westofyou
11-16-2008, 03:01 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3704917&campaign=rss&source=MLBHeadlines

According to multiple sources, Boston management had drafted an official letter of suspension for Ramirez, and delivered it to him at Fenway Park at around 11 p.m. on Friday night, July 25. For the second straight game, Ramirez had refused to play that evening, and the Red Sox lost 1-0 to the rival New York Yankees in front of a boisterous and sold-out home crowd. The letter informed Ramirez that the suspension was to go into effect the next day, Saturday, July 26. It said Ramirez was being suspended without pay for being unwilling to play. Copies of the letter were also sent to Major League Baseball, the MLB Players Association and Ramirez's agent, Scott Boras.

Suspensions in baseball are not unusual for players who test positive for performance-enhancing drugs or who are involved in fights during a game. It is extremely rare for a player to be suspended, or threatened with such a suspension, for refusing to play.

Within two hours after Ramirez received the letter of suspension, the Red Sox received two calls, according to sources. The first call was from one of Ramirez's teammates. He told a member of Boston's front office that Ramirez would play in Saturday afternoon's game against the Yankees. Within minutes, the second call came in from Ramirez himself, who confirmed that he would be available for Saturday's game.