PDA

View Full Version : Chris Valaika #12 on this weeks Prospect Hot Sheet

OnBaseMachine
07-11-2008, 01:52 PM
No. 12 CHRIS VALAIKA, SS, REDS

Team: Double-A Chattanooga (Southern)
Why He's Here: .400/.438/.700 (12-for-30), 3 2B, 2 HR, 5 RBIs, 7 R, 2 BB, 6 SO
The Scoop: He might not have the defensive chops to stick at shortstop in the big leagues, and he might be a tick below-average as a runner. But Valaika can hit, and he's been proving that all year. Always a talented player for his age, he was a fixture on Team USA for years. He bounced back from a torn ACL at UC Santa Barbara and was selected in the third round of the 2006 draft. Now he's hitting .293/.353/.457 for Chattanooga, better in every category than he was last year in the Florida State League.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/prospect-hot-sheet/2008/266495.html

BA will hold a chat at 3:00.

dougdirt
07-11-2008, 02:25 PM
We need to flood them with Neftali Soto questions and why he isn't on here.

Joseph
07-11-2008, 02:35 PM
How many future 3B does this team have?

RedsManRick
07-11-2008, 02:38 PM
Frankly, given the dearth of good trade targets and free agents, I think at least one of EE, Valiaka, Frazier, Soto is headed for LF.

dougdirt
07-11-2008, 02:38 PM

One. Neftali Soto. I think that Frazier winds up in LF and Valaika either at SS or 2B for the Reds. Waring and Francisco have a whole lot to prove before they really enter the conversation.

OnBaseMachine
07-11-2008, 02:39 PM

I don't see Valaika moving to 3B. His future is probably at second base. Though it doesn't really matter where he moves because scouts think his bat will play anywhere, according to BP.

crazyredfan40
07-11-2008, 03:19 PM
Don't forget that LF could be tied up by Votto if Alonso is the 1B of the future...

Kc61
07-11-2008, 03:29 PM
Notice the lack of true shortstops among the Reds top prospects. All these guys get less valuable when they become projected second and third basemen, or left fielders.

A guy like Valaika looks like a good hitter, but he would be much more valuable at short.

This is why prospects like Stubbs and Cozart, while having difficulties getting their hitting in gear, are valued. Because they play premium positions well, good enough to stay in those positions in the major leagues. Probably why Reds have been so patient with Dickerson and Janish too.

When you don't play a premium defensive position like shortstop and centerfield, you have to really be able to hit. So while Valaika will be a major leaguer, if he moves off shortstop it will be tougher for him to be a starter. He'll really have to hit.

dougdirt
07-11-2008, 03:32 PM
Are any of you guys Ron from Dayton?

Ron from Dayton (OH) asks:
I was surprised to not see one of Neftali Soto or Kyle Lotzkar (Reds) on the list. Were they in the discussion?

A: Jim Shonerd: Soto was nominated, but this week featured a very crowded field of hitters. He looks like a guy that could be in contention more weeks than not though.

Nasty_Boy
07-11-2008, 03:39 PM
Keith Law mentioned in his chat yesterday that Valaika was legit at SS. He didn't go in detail, but Law is normally a harsh critic so maybe Chris is making strides. I know Law isn't the end all when it comes to scouts but I found it interesting that he though Valaika would play at SS.

dougdirt
07-11-2008, 03:43 PM
Nasty_Boy, from what I have picked up it seems like the Reds scouts think Valaika can stick at SS. It seems like most everyone else doesn't but there are still a few here and there who think he can outside of the Reds. Its an interesting situation.

Benihana
07-11-2008, 04:28 PM
So are his defensive skills at SS comparable to Keppinger and/or Hairston?

Grande Donkey
07-11-2008, 04:49 PM
Valaika has better range than Kepp does. Probably has a little better arm too.

dougdirt
07-11-2008, 04:59 PM
So are his defensive skills at SS comparable to Keppinger and/or Hairston?

I see him as a Keppinger type with the better ability to turn a double play. Mediocre range, not a bad glove, not a bad arm....

Benihana
07-11-2008, 05:00 PM
Don't forget that LF could be tied up by Votto if Alonso is the 1B of the future...

Don't be surprised if the Reds end up choosing one to keep between Frazier and Alonso in the future, much like they did twenty years ago with Larkin and Stillwell. Hopefully it will turn out equally as successful.

If Alonso stays, Votto moves to LF and Frazier (or Encarnacion) could be traded.
If Frazier stays, Votto stays at 1B and Alonso could be shopped.

Regardless, it should be interesting to watch over the next two years, as long as they can get Alonso signed.

redhawk61
07-11-2008, 05:04 PM
Don't be surprised if the Reds end up choosing one to keep between Frazier and Alonso in the future, much like they did twenty years ago with Larkin and Stillwell. Hopefully it will turn out equally as successful.

If Alonso stays, Votto moves to LF and Frazier (or Encarnacion) could be traded.
If Frazier stays, Votto stays at 1B and Alonso could be shopped.

Regardless, it should be interesting to watch over the next two years, as long as they can get Alonso signed.
it would be option A as EE will be the one due the most money

RedsManRick
07-11-2008, 05:05 PM
I don't think we should discount the possibility of Bruce staying in CF and having one of the guys go there. We're so used to having slow-as-molasses corner OF, but if we've got two relatively quick guys at there, Bruce should be just fine CF for at least 3 more years.

Benihana
07-11-2008, 05:13 PM
it would be option A as EE will be the one due the most money

Not necessarily, as Jocketty appears to be a big fan of EE. Additionally, Frazier should start getting reps at whatever position appears to be best for Frazier, and that may not be 3B.

Benihana
07-11-2008, 05:14 PM
I don't think we should discount the possibility of Bruce staying in CF and having one of the guys go there. We're so used to having slow-as-molasses corner OF, but if we've got two relatively quick guys at there, Bruce should be just fine CF for at least 3 more years.

I wouldn't mind that, but I don't think that Votto (or Alonso) appears to be "relatively quick." If anything, defensively they would be more similar to Dunn in the outfield.

thorn
07-11-2008, 06:23 PM
I think EE will be gone after next year, or summer 2010 to make room for Frazier. I think the reason Jockety likes him is he's young, cheap and no one else is ready to take over, I don't think it has anything to do with his play. that will change in a couple of years, about the time Frazier is ready.

Benihana
07-11-2008, 06:32 PM
I think EE will be gone after next year, or summer 2010 to make room for Frazier. I think the reason Jockety likes him is he's young, cheap and no one else is ready to take over, I don't think it has anything to do with his play. that will change in a couple of years, about the time Frazier is ready.

It's quite possible, but I would hardly label it as a certainty.

thorn
07-11-2008, 06:34 PM
I agree, never say never. EE might turn out to be what everyone thinks he will be, but if he don't, we seem to have a few who may be pushing him out someday soon.