PDA

View Full Version : Are the Cubs (becoming) the NL version of the Yankees/Red Sox?

fearofpopvol1
07-12-2008, 03:07 AM
Outside of the fact that they have 1 of the highest payrolls in baseball (on pace to be tops in the NL soon). They have signed big free agents or players to big contracts (Soriano, Zambrano, Fukodome etc). They also have obnoxious fans to boot!

Like the Yankees in the past, the Cubs farm system is pretty much depleted (though it appears their 2008 draft was pretty good). With acquiring Harden, it seems like their realistic window to compete is this year and 2009.

Are the Cubs the NL version of the Yanks/Red Sox? Arguments for or against?

Jpup
07-12-2008, 03:41 AM
The Cubs are the NL version of the Red Sox pre 2004.

The Yankees are in a class by themselves. They have 26 World Championships. Many of the greatest players of all times were Yankees. I don't believe any franchise really deserves to be compared to them. It's a comparison that no one can win.

Big Klu
07-12-2008, 04:00 AM
The Yankees are in a class by themselves. They have 26 World Championships. Many of the greatest players of all times were Yankees. I don't believe any franchise really deserves to be compared to them. It's a comparison that no one can win.

Maybe the Boston Celtics, but that's about it.

Reds/Flyers Fan
07-12-2008, 04:03 AM
The Cubs remain the current version of the Bad News Bears. I don't care if they win the division and make it to the playoffs ... something will happen to cost them dearly. And because their fans rank a small step above interstate traffic jams in terms of annoyance, I'll enjoy every second of it.

KronoRed
07-12-2008, 02:14 PM
I dunno, a lot of "cursed" teams seem to be breaking through this past few years.

Highlifeman21
07-12-2008, 02:25 PM
Maybe the Boston Celtics, but that's about it.

Or the Men's UCLA Hoops teams.

Imagine what kind of revenue the Cubs could generate if they played in a bigger park. Although I don't want to see Wrigley or Fenway replaced. Ever.