PDA

View Full Version : Reds' post-break rotation shaping up

OnBaseMachine
07-12-2008, 03:22 AM
Reds' post-break rotation shaping up
Cueto to get the ball Thursday vs. Mets, Arroyo on Friday
By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

MILWAUKEE -- The Reds know who will start for them coming out of the All-Star break, but not the entire rotation.

Johnny Cueto will pitch on Thursday against the Mets, and Bronson Arroyo will follow on Friday.

"After that, we'll see what transpires with [Edinson] Volquez at the All-Star Game," Reds pitching coach Dick Pole said. "It depends of if he's used or how he's used."

Volquez's final first-half start is on Saturday against Milwaukee, and he will be Cincinnati's lone All-Star during Tuesday's Midsummer Classic at Yankee Stadium. The game falls on what would be his throwing day in-between starts.

National League manager Clint Hurdle hasn't contacted Reds skipper Dusty Baker about how he might use Volquez. An NL starting pitcher has yet to be named.

If Volquez doesn't pitch, he could be the Reds' third starter after the break and pitch next Saturday. If he is used, he'll likely be fifth and pitch on July 21 vs. the Padres. Josh Fogg and Homer Bailey will get the other two spots, but their first post-break assignments are to be determined.

"I wouldn't want to see him throw 60 pitches," Pole said of Volquez's All-Star appearance. "Those guys are professional. They'll know how to handle that sort of thing. Except for the starter, who often throws two innings, the others usually pitch one [inning] at a time."

Baker added: "The All-Star game is important but a guy's career is more important."

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080711&content_id=3113971&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

Jpup
07-12-2008, 03:30 AM
"One game is important, but a guy's career is more important."

Reds/Flyers Fan
07-12-2008, 04:05 AM
I'd just as soon see Volquez enjoy the entire game in the dugout and not pitch. He can pitch in the ASG next year

Jpup
07-12-2008, 04:12 AM
I'd just as soon see Volquez enjoy the entire game in the dugout and not pitch. He can pitch in the ASG next year

next year may never come. Let the kid pitch in New York and then run him out on Sunday.

Big Klu
07-12-2008, 04:12 AM
Dusty and Dick, try this on for size:

7/12 @ MIL: Volquez
7/13 @ MIL: Bailey
7/14 ***All-Star Break***
7/15 ***All-Star Game***
7/16 ***All-Star Break***
7/17 v. NY: Cueto
7/18 v. NY: Arroyo
7/19 v. NY: Fogg
7/20 v. NY: Volquez
7/21 v. SD: Bailey
7/22 v. SD: Cueto
7/23 v. SD: Arroyo
7/24 --OFF-- (Harang eligible to come off DL)
7/25 v. COL: Volquez
7/26 v. COL: TBA (Could be Harang, if he's ready)

After tonight's performance, I would go with Fogg on Saturday against the Mets, with Volquez on Sunday. That way, Volquez gets four days after his All-Star pitching performance, and he still gets to pitch against the Mets. The off day on the 24th then falls on Fogg's scheduled turn, so he can be skipped (or pushed back to the 26th if Harang isn't ready), and Volquez still goes on his regular turn on the 25th. The only way I would pitch Volquez on Saturday is if he doesn't play in the All-Star Game.

reds44
07-12-2008, 04:25 AM
next year may never come. Let the kid pitch in New York and then run him out on Sunday.
I'm still hoping he starts. Lincecum would be right there with him, but he pitches Sunday so he won't start.

Highlifeman21
07-12-2008, 02:28 PM
Fogg back in the rotation, be still my beating heart!

And I REALLY hope we see a better showing from Bailey this time around.

*BaseClogger*
07-12-2008, 02:52 PM
"One game is important, but a guy's career is more important."

:wave: Aaron Harang!

red-in-la
07-12-2008, 03:03 PM
Oh, Volquez just HAS TO pitch to Josh Hamilton.....come on.

NJReds
07-12-2008, 03:14 PM
Since I'm coming to town for the Mets series, I'll be greedy and hope that Voquez doesn't throw many pitches at the ASG. I'd like to see him pitch next Sunday.