PDA

View Full Version : Something I wouldn't wish upon any Cubs fan

Highlifeman21
07-12-2008, 01:35 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080712/ap_on_sp_ba_ne/bbn_boy_injured_wrigley

CHICAGO - Doctors and family members say a 7-year-old boy who fractured his skull when he was struck by a foul ball at Wrigley Field was recovering and expected to live.

Dominic DiAngi of suburban Frankfort was sitting behind the Cubs dugout Thursday afternoon during a game between the Chicago Cubs and Cincinnati Reds when a foul ball off the bat of Cubs pitcher Ted Lilly struck him in the head.

On Friday, the boy was in serious condition. Children's Memorial Hospital spokeswoman Julie Pesch says the boy regained consciousness on Friday and doctors said he was steadily improving throughout the day.

The game was the first major league game the boy had ever attended.

I hope he makes a full recovery.

fearofpopvol1
07-12-2008, 02:20 PM
My deepest sympathies goes out to the young man. I hope he's alright.

Could this incident induce another curse?

oneupper
07-12-2008, 02:21 PM
People don't realize how dangerous it is in some parts of the park.
Line drives have killed people in the stands.
Be alert to the game at all time if you are exposed.

_Sir_Charles_
07-12-2008, 04:23 PM
Nice to see the boy'll make a full recovery. I was watching that game and I was really concerned too.

Maybe this will convince MLB to extend the screen to past the dugouts. Balls have been lazered into the stands thousands of times, but now we're getting bats too. They've got to step up and do something to protect the fans. Players have gloves to protect them and all of their focus is on the game. Fans have kids to watch and other concerns. Step up and acknowledge the responsibility already.

HumnHilghtFreel
07-12-2008, 04:31 PM
I actually prefer outfield seats because as a kid, I was at a Columbus Clippers game and saw a girl about the same age as I was, maybe 9 or 10 at the time, take a ball off the head sitting behind the dugouts. Ever since I've had kind of a subconscious nervousness about sitting up close to the field.

Glad he'll be okay. I can't imagine being the player to have hit the ball either.

KittyDuran
07-12-2008, 04:51 PM
I've only been at one game (minor or major league) where I saw a fan get hit by a baseball... I can't remember who the Dragons player was, though I keep thinking it was Votto. BTW, I was on the first base side also in the first row.

Woman's Condition Improving After Being Struck By Baseball

POSTED: 3:47 p.m. EDT June 19, 2004

DAYTON, Ohio -- A woman struck in the head by a foul ball at a Dayton Dragons minor-league baseball game has been upgraded from critical to serious condition.

Forty-year-old Roxanne Harting of Centerville is being treated at Miami Valley Hospital.

Harting was sitting in the first row on the third-base side between the dugout and bullpen at Fifth Third Field on Wednesday night when she was hit by a line-drive foul ball.

The Dragons says its medical staff attended to Harting within moments of the incident and that she was quickly transported to the hospital.

The team says it joins in the prayers and concern for Harting and wishes her a speedy recovery.

The Dragons are a Class-A affiliate of the Cincinnati Reds.

COPYRIGHT AP

I read that later she sued both the Dragons and the "Chicken" (who was performing that night) because she was distracted.

They now have signs around the park to keep your attention on the play on the field.

11larkin11
07-13-2008, 01:05 AM
Well it didn't help much. Tonight at the Dragons game the Beliot RFer was warming up and threw it high and it went into the lawn area and I belive hit someone, not sure where, because everyone was gathered around and the whole Beloit bullpen was up looking up there. I was way out in LF and happened to glance over and see him throw it over his throwing partners head and I saw it go in the stands and thought someone probably got hit.

WVRedsFan
07-13-2008, 01:17 AM
Several years aso, i was sitting on the third base side at Cinergy and was aware that all of my family should be watching the game intently because we were sitting low. Great seats by the way. Anyway, we were watching and Barry Bonds hit a ball that came at us. I jumped up to catch the ball and it luckily hit me in the hands, bonced off, and went to someone above us. Let me tell you this. I hands were numb until the game was over.

I almost can't beleive what a batted ball would do if it hit the head of a child. I hope he's OK and has a full recovery. That experience taught me to sit higher in the stadium.

Phhhl
07-13-2008, 01:24 AM
Safety definately has to be given a lot more consideration at ballgames than it is currently recieving. I like the extended screen idea.

The maple bat controversy is ridiculous also. I don't think I have seen a game this year that didn't feature a jagged bat barrel spinning end over end out of control, either at a position player or a pitcher, or toward the stands. Jerry Hairston loves his maple bat and is hitting .340. Ryan Ludwick is racking up the homers with his maple bat. Bite me! Wait until someone gets impaled by one of these weapons, and then we'll have a martyr for common sense that Bryant Gumbel can do a Real Sports segment on. I can't believe it is even being kicked around whether to keep those bats in the game. It is just a matter of time before something really sick happens in front of the world unless they outlaw the maple bats.

OldRightHander
07-13-2008, 11:00 AM
That's why I always take a glove if I'm planning on sitting down close. It's just a matter of self defense. If I have a glove, it's almost a guarantee that nothing will be hit close to me.

Reds Fanatic
07-16-2008, 01:33 PM
Almost 2 weeks after that game the boy is due to be released from the hospital.

CHICAGO -- Hospital officials in Chicago said a 7-year-old boy whose skull was fractured by a foul ball at Wrigley Field is recovering well and expected to go home.

Dominic DiAngi is scheduled to be released from Children's Memorial Hospital later Wednesday.

Last Thursday, he was sitting behind the Cubs' dugout during an afternoon game when a foul ball off Ted Lilly's bat struck him in the head. Paramedics took him to Children's Memorial where he was in intensive care. He regained consciousness on Friday and doctors said he was steadily improving throughout the day.

The game was the first major league game the boy attended. Lilly and Cubs first baseman Derrek Lee visited the boy Saturday at the hospital.

Highlifeman21
07-16-2008, 04:07 PM
Glad to see/hear he's doing better!

Matt700wlw
07-16-2008, 04:49 PM
They'll be giving out helmets to patrons before too long.

Hope the kid's ok!!

paintmered
07-16-2008, 05:10 PM
Great news that he gets to go home.

hebroncougar
07-16-2008, 09:52 PM
Hope the boy makes a full recovery. I don't know why they don't extend the nets....I think they think it might obstruct some views, but if you've sat behind the nets, they don't at all. Would be a good idea IMO.

cincrazy
07-18-2008, 10:00 PM
Any time I see a story like this, it reminds me of the young girl that was struck in the head by a puck at her first Blue Jackets game and killed.And to top it off, it was a b-day present. Absolutely terrible. Glad to see the little man is ok. I have a 7 year old bro, and every time I take him to a game his face lights up and he has the time of his life. Just thinking about him being the one getting hit makes me choke up.