PDA

View Full Version : Would Trading Junior Make Us Sellers?

GoReds33
07-13-2008, 11:27 AM
I don't know. He's a player that can help other teams, but his production in the 3 spot has killed this team this year. He's the worst three hole hitter in the National league, and he doesn't play good defense. Sure the fans love him, but does that merit him remaining here, even at the expense of some wins?

If he's out of the lineup, we could put Hairston in center, Bruce in right, and Keppinger at shortstop. IMO, that's a better lineup than with Griffey. Sure, we're losing some power, but 12 homers isn't that much to replace. I think Chris Dickerson would have 12 homers already, if given the chance.

So simply put, would it make us sellers if we unloaded Griffey?

Lockdwn11
07-13-2008, 11:29 AM
No, it would make us smart. Don't get me wrong I love Junior but his time here is over.Time for both parties to move on

ChatterRed
07-13-2008, 11:46 AM
Show me a team willing to take him? I doubt there are any.

Lockdwn11
07-13-2008, 11:49 AM
That maybe true but that wasn't the question. I doubt there are any takers as well.

Orodle
07-13-2008, 11:52 AM
I would consider us sellers even though we havnt sold anyone yet just due to the fact that we are obviously shopping players. I doubt Jr. is traded because I cant see a team in contention wanting him.

yab1112
07-13-2008, 12:23 PM
The way I see it, being "sellers" means trading away productive pieces for prospects because you have no hope for that season. Cutting your losses so to speak. If we traded Jr., yes he is the the most recognized name on this team, but he isnt producing. If you ignore the name on the back of the jersey then you might even argue that by trading junior we are buyers. Addition by subtraction. This team is only 6 games out of the wild card behind the Cardinals, Brewers, Marlins, and Mets with 24 games left against those teams.

Ahhhorsepoo
07-14-2008, 01:46 PM
I would consider us sellers even though we havnt sold anyone yet just due to the fact that we are obviously shopping players. I doubt Jr. is traded because I cant see a team in contention wanting him.

Rays would want him.. thats more than the 0 teams you can "think" of..

SCUNNER11
07-14-2008, 02:04 PM
Do you think the Reds would get anything in return for him? His contract may scare some teams off.

Hello to all, I just became a Redzone member today, been a long time fan.

Just one question to any of you who can answer it. Are the Reds retiring Larkin's #11 this month?

Barry has been a friend of the family since my dad coached him at U of M. I was the bat boy then for him, Sabo and Hal Morris. I have been wondering if they were going to do anything for him. I last talked to Barry here in Detroit the day of the Mich-OSU game in Nov., and did not want to ask him.

Root Down
07-14-2008, 02:11 PM
Show me a team willing to take him? I doubt there are any.

I find it hard to believe that no one in the AL would pick up JR as a DH. Gary Sheffield with significantly worse numbers is making 13mill a year in Detroit.

bgwilly31
07-14-2008, 05:51 PM
Alan cutler is on the radio right now saying ""this team needs to KEEP griffey.

Getting rid of DUNN for sure. We cant afford dunn for 13 million a year.

But we should keep griffey. This team cant afford to get rid of both. People like griffey he brings fans to the game. People like to watch him swing the bat. BLAH BLAH BLAH> ""

Im about to puke this guy is so stupid.

nemesis
07-14-2008, 06:18 PM
If the Rays offered us Baldelli straight up for him, I'd take that deal. you probaly get Baldelli to sign on the cheap and he plays centerfield. That would give Stubbs and the club 1 or 2 more years to develop or get off the pot so to speak.

Griffey012
07-14-2008, 06:25 PM
If the Rays offered us Baldelli straight up for him, I'd take that deal. you probaly get Baldelli to sign on the cheap and he plays centerfield. That would give Stubbs and the club 1 or 2 more years to develop or get off the pot so to speak.

Isn't Baldelli most likely done for good?

nemesis
07-14-2008, 06:35 PM
He has been rehabbing in High A ball for the last few weeks I think.

GoReds33
07-14-2008, 07:03 PM
As has been pointed out already, it's addition by subtraction. Getting Griffey's poor defense, average, OBP, power, speed, ect., out of the lineup would more than offset not getting prospects in return. That's not to mention the millions we would save also.

Krawhitham
07-14-2008, 09:34 PM
Where are you going to trade him to?

It would have to be someone in the race for the playoffs and be willing to pick up his option for 09 for JR to approve the trade

He will not accept going to the Yankees

No team in the play off race will want a .235 hitting RF

yab1112
07-14-2008, 10:43 PM
He will not accept going to the Yankees

Where are you getting this? Not saying your wrong just that i never heard that before

levydl
07-15-2008, 12:31 AM
That's an old story about how Steinbrenner had Jr. kicked out of the clubhouse when he was a kid and his dad played for NYY.

Slyder
07-15-2008, 08:19 AM
Trading Junior would make us smart at this point.

If the Rays would trade Rocco for Junior straight up I'd do it in an instant. Junior isnt what he once was, his range is all but gone, he's not hitting, its not meant to be in Cincy. The sooner the Reds take anything for him and let him go try for a ring the better IF someone wants him. Short term may not help because you are probably forced into seeing more of Corey Patterson show but the range you gain from Patterson/Bruce rather than Griffey in RF offsets the difference.

We need to close the book on the Griffey Jr coming home, it just wasnt meant to be the sooner we can "trade" him the faster we can start to evaluate what else we have in house as everyday RF and Baker doesnt have to put Griffey in the 3 hole "out of respect".

yab1112
07-15-2008, 12:05 PM
If the Rays would trade Rocco for Junior straight up I'd do it in an instant.

Rocco is more injury prone than Jr. has been. Doesn't he have some rare disease that makes his bones fragile?

Slyder
07-15-2008, 06:41 PM
Rocco is more injury prone than Jr. has been. Doesn't he have some rare disease that makes his bones fragile?

Rocco isnt making a lot this year either. Like I said in the above post We need to move on, the Griffey era wasnt meant to be. Griffey's performance this year won't get us anything of value. If a contender feels he can be the "final piece" we need to take it and evaluate the guys we have in house and not worry about return for Junior. The days of him being "the big draw" are over I figure the vast majority of the fans coming to games or tuning in are still going to do just that whether Griffey is here or not.

Its not about Junior but whats best for the long term of the team. Right now that should be evaluating as many players as they can, having Junior still on the horse collars the team into forcing them to play Bruce in Center. If Junior was traded then you could see what Chris Dickerson (currently opsing just below .800), or go one step further and see if Sean Henry can make the jump from AA. Or if we get hot and show we can compete with the team as is gives you a position to keep Jerry Hairston in the lineup every game with Freel becoming the 10th man again when people need days off.

Or maybe with the open roster spot find the next Jose Guillen (young guy who is bouncing around the waivers/fa that never reached potential) and they get hot and you flip them for something you need during the offseason.

Trading Junior for Rocco isnt about the return, its about what it would mean for the Reds and for Griffey. If they found some way to treat w/e bites Rocco and he returns to the #1 billing thats great theres our CF to team up with Bruce for the next 10 years and the Reds look like geniouses by again taking a Tampa OF and making a splash, if not we get to evaluate people at the majors we might not have normally seen.

AFalcon10
07-17-2008, 04:32 PM
Trading Junior would make us sane. And dont think we arent trying - its just that nobody would take him. I dont know if we even would be "sellars" givin his lack of production this season but it really is the only rational decision given the fact that we will lose him for nothing at the end of the year regardless. I just dont think anybody wants him. Maybe we will be able to get something for Dunn but I think we are stuck with Griffey. I love him though.

Also no way the Rays give up Rocco straight up that would be a horrible move on their part. The most we can hope for is a couple of decent prospects but no headliners.

Ohioballplayer
07-18-2008, 12:24 PM
baldelli is battling some kind of ailment correct?
So give KGJ away just for contract, let him be a #7 hitter with the Rays, that team can use Veteran Leadership that can still get along with the youngins.

Looking at Kemp's numbers why would we wanna give a whiff king for a whiff king, at least Dunner gets on base alot more than Kemp does, but I am ALL for getting rid of Dunn, I wish they would have sent him to Texas instead of Hamilton.