PDA

View Full Version : Guys Homer looks nasty!

icehole3
07-13-2008, 03:05 PM
Yeah he looped a curve in there to Big CC but everyone else... well they look a little baffled by Homer's stuff. His stuff is low and hard, I like the new Homer.

http://www.sternfannetwork.com/forum/images/smilies/Happy/HappyWave.gif

TOBTTReds
07-13-2008, 03:10 PM
His FB has been sitting at 93-94, SL in the mid-80's has been ok, and his curve is around 79. He is looking much better than previous MLB games this year.

icehole3
07-13-2008, 03:16 PM
His spotting that 94 MPH on the outside corner, no one's gonna hit a pitch like that. So if he just works a curve a change he'll be OK. He should stay in the majors IMO.

Joseph
07-13-2008, 03:18 PM
Less effort and better results, or so it seems.

RedsManRick
07-13-2008, 03:19 PM
Less effort and better results, or so it seems.

Agreed. He seems to be calmer up there and not trying to overthrow everything. Looks a lot more mature in his approach. I'm still not a huge fan of his stuff, but if he can keep it low in the zone, he's got a chance to stick this time.

reds44
07-13-2008, 03:22 PM
He definatley looks better than he did even against the Phillies, his breaking stuff still neds work though.

Definatley looking better.

LoganBuck
07-13-2008, 03:23 PM
Is he sporting a new tattoo on his left forearm of an arrow?

Joseph
07-13-2008, 03:30 PM
Is he sporting a new tattoo on his left forearm of an arrow?

Not new. He's covered in ink, most under his shirt.

OnBaseMachine
07-13-2008, 04:08 PM
He looked pretty good today. The curveball needs some more work but his fastball looked good.

Patrick Bateman
07-13-2008, 04:19 PM
Basically he continued what he was doing in the minors. Clearly over his last 5 starts he's got his stuff back (hitting 93 consistently on the fastball) and has reasonable control. He was getting lots of K's, and keeping the walks to a minimum (K:BB of 4ish). Today, I saw a major league pitcher out there.

His fastball today was very strong. He was actually locating it on the corners for the most part, and at times I think he even got squeezed a bit. So for once he was ahead of hitters, putting himself in good situations.

However, the bulk of his off speed pitches were coming in over the belt. Now when you get ahead of guys, your still going to get the odd K in those situations (ie. Weeks), but at the same time, your going to get burned (Sabathia). But he still gave himself a chance basically by having one really effective pitch the entire day. That shows how impressive that pitch can be. For the most part, he was getting outs on that fastball in the strikezone. The next step will be improving those off speed pitches to get outs outside the strikezone.

Against, a tough offense, he acquitted himself well, and for about the second time in Bailey's major league career, I came away impressed with his performance. A clear improvement over his first stint in the majors. And with the trend starting for 4 starts in AAA, I think there's a decent chance that the new Homer is here to stay. He is still just 5 starts removed from pure crap, but hopefully the mechanical changes will be permanent.

dougdirt
07-13-2008, 04:22 PM
He looked pretty good today. The curveball needs some more work but his fastball looked good.

His curve was not there today. It looked much better in AAA after his most recent demotion. Today it lacked the bite that he had on it in AAA recently.

icehole3
07-13-2008, 04:25 PM
maybe I need to clean my glasses off, I saw at least a half of dozen good curves and changeups... I saw nothing like the breaking balls he was throwing earlier in the year. He has clearly improved his off speed stuff from his first visit. Is his off speed stuff like CC...nope, but its a lot more closer in the strike zone than before.

Will M
07-13-2008, 05:26 PM
I thought we would lose against CC but I watched the game to see how Homer fared. He looked a LOT better than his previous stint. We even saw some fire when he was taken out of the game when he didn't want to go.

guttle11
07-13-2008, 05:29 PM
Definitely looked like he was throwing with about 85-90% effort. That is the key to him, IMO.

Very encouraging. He may go back down if Harang doesn't go to the DL, but hopefully Fogg pitches well enough to get traded for peanuts to a sucker and Homer can be back for the rest of the year. He's big league ready pitching at 90% effort.

OnBaseMachine
07-13-2008, 05:32 PM
Homer's changeup seems to have improved too. With the return of his velocity, a better changeup, and improved command, he just may be able to stick this time. Now he just needs to work on getting his curveball back to where it was. Homer doesn't have to develop into a stud ace, we just need him to be an above average starter and I think he can and will do that. The 2009 rotation could be scary if Homer can continue pitching like he did today. A rotation consisting of Edinson Volquez, Aaron Harang, Johnny Cueto, Bronson Arroyo, and Homer Bailey could be among the best in baseball. Find another bat or two and improve the defense up the middle and this team could be ready to make the playoffs.

Phhhl
07-13-2008, 08:10 PM
Today was definately a step forward for Homer. He handled a great lineup that was basically "cornered", HAVING to win this particular game. He did his part, and the team let him down. His mechanics definately seemed more automatic, or relaxed. But the intensity was there, most notably when he grounded into the double play in the third when the Reds were on the cusp of taking over the ballgame. He was none too happy when he was pulled from the ballgame either. Though he might be a little more cognizent that a camera is always on a major league pitcher when he articulates profanities, the type of intensity and poise we saw from him today is probably his shortest path to success.

Caveat Emperor
07-13-2008, 10:52 PM
The key to Homer's effectiveness seems to be throwing his 94+ MPH fastball on the low corners and using his 91-92 MPH fastball elsewhere in the zone, since it seems to generate more movement. Throw the straight pitch where they can't hit it, throw the fastball with action a little higher in the zone where they can't center it.

It was nice to see him striking some batters out, but I wonder how much he was helped by the shadows creeping across the field. IIRC, he looked good during his daytime start in Philly as well.

VR
07-13-2008, 11:56 PM
OBM, how's he been in the minors this year w/ holding guys on?

JB was thinking he was really slow to the plate

RedsManRick
07-14-2008, 12:34 AM
JB was thinking he was really slow to the plate

His delivery did look significantly more deliberate this time around. But I'd take slow to the plate with good stuff over rushing everything up there and throwing slop.

RedlegJake
07-14-2008, 01:12 AM
His delivery did look significantly more deliberate this time around. But I'd take slow to the plate with good stuff over rushing everything up there and throwing slop.

Absolutely. Bailey took a step forward. He can get the secondary stuff as he goes (like doing a better job holding guys close) if he gets the hitters with his pitching. A bit better location on his curves and Homer will be looking very tough out there. Encouraging.

WVRedsFan
07-14-2008, 02:04 AM
HOmer pitched well and should have had the chance to face the big hitter in the 6th. He was hacked about it and I don't blame him, regardless for the sane reasons why he was taken out.

I saw a different Homer today and I liked it. I wonder what this means to Josh Fogg? He threw a good game on Friday. I guess with Harang out, we can expect both to be in the rotation.

Jpup
07-14-2008, 02:14 AM
whatever he did to get his stuff back, worked. Sunday was more of what we should expect from him. I thought the Reds had completely broken Homer. Sunday gives me some hope.

He'll probably be traded for junk in 2 weeks.;)