PDA

View Full Version : Good Job Dusty.

Griffey012
07-13-2008, 04:54 PM
No matter what Bray does with Fielder, good job by dusty getting Homer out. Homer did better than anyone could have expected, so go ahead get your lefty in against Fielder and get him out. And turn it over to the bullpen and let them have their turn to step up.

AccordinglyReds
07-13-2008, 05:05 PM
I wish Bailey would have been left in to finish off the inning.

I can't believe Bray walked Fielder on 5 pitches. Although his ERA is good, I just get the inconsistent vibe from him and I'm starting to shudder when he comes along in tight games.

Griffey012
07-13-2008, 05:15 PM
It reminded me a lot of the situation about a week ago when Cueto was going against Zambrano and brought him back out for the 7th and got into trouble.

Blue
07-13-2008, 06:05 PM
Bray is a lot like Cordero. He walks a lot of guys so he needs come in with no one on base. Also, he is in no way a LOOGY. He had a .375 OBPA when facing lefthanders coming into this game. Of course, you can't expect Baker to know that, he's just the freaking manager. You also can't expect him to know that Weathers has been overworked the last few games and should not be asked to pitch two innings in a tied baseball game when you have a very good closer who has had a day of rest.

RedsFanInBama
07-13-2008, 06:05 PM
Bray has a good ERA but he seems to allow a lot of inherited runners to score. I'm not sure what the numbers are on that.

I only was able to see the first three innings today so I don't know how things went down, but I see Homer did pretty well. All except for a lapse in concentration to Sabathia which is simply inexcusable to throw that pitch on 0-2.

demas863
07-13-2008, 06:58 PM
I can't believe Bray walked Fielder on 5 pitches. Although his ERA is good, I just get the inconsistent vibe from him and I'm starting to shudder when he comes along in tight games.

So do I. I don't know what the numbers are but when he comes in with men on base he seems to give up an above average number of runs which of course get charged to the guy he relieved. I agree. He looked like he had no command in the Fielder at-bat. I think Dustyf**k (that's what they call him in Chicago) did the right thing by pulling Homer but why the double switch when Votto didn't start, having previously shown he's grossly overmatched by CC (notwithstanding many lefties are). Phillips seemed to look okay in his at-bats.Then Dusty lets Bray pitch to a righty. I think the announcers had it right. If You're going to do the lefty-righty stuff then be at least sort of consistent. So a base hit ties the came and then he brings on Lincoln for the righty-righty match-up with the next hitter and we're out of the inning. Besides, Klondike will never be any good as long as he has those 1950 sideburns. :)

Also, DB uses Griffey in a key situation, lefty against lefty when he could have used Valentin who has a mindset for pinch-hitting. May not be the best ph around but far better than Griffey whose ph abilities are arguably crappy. Here again, wrong match-up in more than a "lefty versus lefty" sense.

Bottom line: Dusty's not consistent with pitching match-ups: nor consistent with hitting match-ups. But he does love the double switch. How much does a random number machine cost? Could the Reds lease one for less than $3 million a year?

FlightRick
07-13-2008, 07:03 PM
Bray has a good ERA but he seems to allow a lot of inherited runners to score. I'm not sure what the numbers are on that.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1693168#post1693168

Warning: it's not pretty.

Griffey012
07-13-2008, 08:37 PM
Also, DB uses Griffey in a key situation, lefty against lefty when he could have used Valentin who has a mindset for pinch-hitting. May not be the best ph around but far better than Griffey whose ph abilities are arguably crappy. Here again, wrong match-up in more than a "lefty versus lefty" sense.

Exactly, I was thinking in my head during the game that we are gonna outsmart them late cuz Griffey is on the bench when they bring in a righty. Then they bring him in against CC when Grif just looked clueless a week or two ago against him, and looked clueless again.