PDA

View Full Version : free preview week from baseball-reference.com

texasdave
07-13-2008, 04:08 PM
Sort baseball statistics a million different ways. I haven't tried it yet but it seems like it will be interesting...oh yeah, and FREE!

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi.shtml

Free Trial
Baseball-Reference.com's Play Index is offering a free trial during the week of the All-Star Game, so you can settle all of those important baseball arguments for free.

Subscribe now

*Note, pitch-by-pitch data is primarily available from 1988 to 2008, and there are a small number of games in those years which are missing data.

FlightRick
07-13-2008, 05:00 PM
I'll endorse this as a Really Neat Tool. The free limited version of the PI is pretty worthless, so it's fun to get to play around with the real, fully functional thing.

For instance, in trying to decide whether or not I liked Dusty pulling Homer for Bray in today's game (and knowing RedsZone is torn on whether Bray's ERA proves he's awesome or if his WHIP proves he's weak), I was able to make up an interesting little query. Here is what I discovered:

There are 79 pitchers in the major leagues who I'd classify as "high leverage situational relievers" (i.e. they aren't closers, set up men, or long men, but rather come in in the middle of innings to get either 1 or 2 key outs) who have inherited 20 or more runners so far in 2008.

Out of those 79 "high leverage situational relievers," Bray ranked 72nd with an abysmal 57% Strand Rate. Seventy-second. As in there are only 7 worse in all of baseball. As in bottom tenth percentile. [After today's failure, a quick adjustment to the calculation shows he ranks 75th with a 54% Strand Rate. Yay?]

Thank you, baseball-reference.com, for giving me a reason to loathe a Dusty Decision that I actually thought seemed to make sense at the time!

EDITED TO ADD: I just noticed you can save queries and share them. If you're interested in the issue of strand rates, my query is now stored at http://www.bb-ref.com/pi/shareit/HYbd. [Holy crap: there are only 19 pitchers in this category with a strand rate of 80% or better, and the Cubs have THREE of them. Another reason why they are dominating.] Enjoy; and if you do any interesting queries of your own, feel free to save and share 'em. I'd enjoy seeing your work. Even if it makes me sad, like this one did.