PDA

View Full Version : Trade Idea with Philly!

schroomytunes
07-13-2008, 06:13 PM
The Phillies are looking hard at Brian Fuentes from the Rockies and it seems the Rockies want an arm and a leg for him asking for their top prospect(Carrasco). The Phils are looking to add another lefty to their pen to complement Romero, and with the Mets on their heels now is the time to trade. So my deal:

Reds trade: Jeremy Affeldt and David Weathers

Phils trade: Jason Donald (AA) 24yrs old SS
Travis D'Arnaud (A) 19yrs old C

The Phils get the middle relief help for their pen w/o giving up top prospects, while the Reds get depth at two areas of need for the future. The Reds can then promote Roenicke and Belisle/Hererra/Adkins to fill the vacant slots in the pen. Thoughts?

camisadelgolf
07-13-2008, 06:19 PM
David Weathers might have more value than you think. He may qualify as a type-A free agent (he did before he signed his current contract), which means that if he rejects arbitration from the Reds and sign with someone else, the Reds could get draft pick compensation. The compensation the Reds got from letting Rich Aurilia go netted the Reds a couple of their best prospects.

WVRedsFan
07-13-2008, 06:23 PM
INteresting, but risky. You have to assume that the Reds wouldn't trade one of the lefty relievers (they only have two--Affeldt and Bray) and like camisadelgolf says, Weathers is worth more than that. Then you have to wonder who would replace both and you might end up with a worse bullpen than you had--one of the better stories of the 2008 Reds is a better bullpen. With the offensive challenged Reds, that might be a disaster of a trade.

RedlegJake
07-14-2008, 01:37 AM
I'd do Affeldt for Donald if the Phils want a lefty reliever. Seriously, straight up right now. Yeah, it would be a move for the future but a darn good move.

puca
07-14-2008, 07:45 AM
David Weathers might have more value than you think. He may qualify as a type-A free agent (he did before he signed his current contract), which means that if he rejects arbitration from the Reds and sign with someone else, the Reds could get draft pick compensation. The compensation the Reds got from letting Rich Aurilia go netted the Reds a couple of their best prospects.

Except Weathers is a guy that if you offer him arbitration, you better be prepared for him to accept. He is likely at the one-year-contract stage of his career anyhow and no one is going to throw big money at him.

camisadelgolf
07-14-2008, 10:24 AM
Except Weathers is a guy that if you offer him arbitration, you better be prepared for him to accept. He is likely at the one-year-contract stage of his career anyhow and no one is going to throw big money at him.

Mike Stanton signed with the Reds because everyone else offered a two-year contract, and the Reds were the only ones who offered a three-year contract. If Stanton can get two years, I think Weathers can, too, without much problem.

jojo
07-14-2008, 10:37 AM
Mike Stanton signed with the Reds because everyone else offered a two-year contract, and the Reds were the only ones who offered a three-year contract. If Stanton can get two years, I think Weathers can, too, without much problem.

Stanton was a lefty though.

camisadelgolf
07-14-2008, 01:02 PM
Stanton was a lefty though.

True, but I wouldn't call him a LOOGY. His splits weren't drastically different against righties/lefties. I'll also throw in that Stanton is 41 years old and Weathers is 37 years old.

Joseph
07-14-2008, 02:14 PM
Both are guys we should be looking to move.

camisadelgolf
07-14-2008, 06:47 PM
Both are guys we should be looking to move.

I agree on Affeldt, but with the success the Reds have been having with draft picks lately, I'd really want to hang on to Weathers if draft pick compensation (type A, no less) is a possibility.

Will M
07-14-2008, 08:59 PM
I agree on Affeldt, but with the success the Reds have been having with draft picks lately, I'd really want to hang on to Weathers if draft pick compensation (type A, no less) is a possibility.

the problem is that he'll ACCEPT arbitration.

jojo
07-14-2008, 09:18 PM

Yep.

camisadelgolf
07-14-2008, 11:47 PM

Sorry. I didn't realize that was guaranteed.

Guacarock
07-15-2008, 01:52 AM
With the Phillies now reportedly placing all of their best prospects -- Marson, Carrasco and Golson -- on an untouchable list, I can't see much point in pushing a trade with them. Maybe if we were eager to move a middle reliever, say Weathers or Affeldt, we might want to work out a lesser swap along the lines Schroomy has outlined. But I can't see a deal centered around Arroyo taking place, not if the Phillies are only dangling discards.

Jpup
07-15-2008, 02:04 AM
I think that Philly would trade Marson everyday of the week for Arroyo and Affeldt/Weathers.