PDA

View Full Version : Anyone still believe Weathers should stick aournd?

44Magnum
07-14-2008, 09:22 AM
The man is way done!

Root Down
07-14-2008, 09:23 AM
Disagree, he has one bad game and he's out? Before yesterday he'd done pretty well.

improbus
07-14-2008, 09:52 AM
Who do you replace him with?

Redeye fly
07-14-2008, 09:52 AM
Sure I do. I mean, if he's gone who else will you have to complain about?

No offense, but I'm starting to think whenever Weathers has a bad game, he takes out his frustrations by kicking your puppy or something. I know, I know... no one has to read this. But seriously, it's like you're a one man Weathers kicking band.

Sure, his best days are behind him. There might even be a better alternative or two in the minors. But it also may have something to do with the fact Dusty used him for the fourth time in 5 days. An overused/overexposed Weathers almost certainly does little to no good for this club.

Griffey012
07-14-2008, 10:04 AM
A bloop single, you cant do anything about that as a pitcher, usually it comes off of a good pitch also. And then the bunt, not sure who was at fault, but the catcher should be popping out saying me, me, me, or you, you, you if he can't get to it and make the play. The only bad thing Weathers did yesterday was pick it up and force the throw. It wasn't his pitching.

44Magnum
07-14-2008, 10:20 AM
Sure I do. I mean, if he's gone who else will you have to complain about?

No offense, but I'm starting to think whenever Weathers has a bad game, he takes out his frustrations by kicking your puppy or something. I know, I know... no one has to read this. But seriously, it's like you're a one man Weathers kicking band.

Sure, his best days are behind him. There might even be a better alternative or two in the minors. But it also may have something to do with the fact Dusty used him for the fourth time in 5 days. An overused/overexposed Weathers almost certainly does little to no good for this club.

Can you say "knee-jerk" reaction?

First: I don't even have a puppy, or any pet for that matter.

Second: This is only the second Weathers thread I have ever started.

Third: He has a 1.56 WHIP.

Ahhhorsepoo
07-14-2008, 10:48 AM
or what about the ability.. or lack there of to strikeout their 8 batter jason kendall.. why would you walk him.. that just doesnt make sense.. 99% of the time that is the right call.. but Jason Kendall is their 8 batter..

RedsFanInBama
07-14-2008, 11:22 AM
He should have never been asked to go back out there. That was his third day in a row, sending him out for two innings is asking to lose the ballgame. I'm far from a Weathers fan but somehow I feel the need to defend him here. He's not that great a pitcher, and when you have him working on his fourth inning in three days, he's even worse.

Griffey012
07-14-2008, 11:29 AM
or what about the ability.. or lack there of to strikeout their 8 batter jason kendall.. why would you walk him.. that just doesnt make sense.. 99% of the time that is the right call.. but Jason Kendall is their 8 batter..

Kendall has struck out 243 times in the past 6 seasons or roughly 6-7 times out of every 100 official ab's, which doesn't even include the times he walks which makes it even less likely to strike him out. Runners on first and third with no outs, you have to walk Jason Kendall. You cant bank of him striking out and you you are going to have a tough play at the plate, much tougher than a force out. And it was Craig Counsell on deck, it wasn't Fielder coming up.

bgwilly31
07-14-2008, 11:29 AM

weathers was never a strike out kinda closer. At least in the last 4-5 yrs or so he hasnt been.

His specialty is ground balls. Or rocket balls. Its usually one or the other.

BLEEDS
07-14-2008, 12:11 PM
he'll stick around for the rest of the year. What's the point of cutting him now - are we vying for the pennant?!?!?

PEACE

-BLEEDS

BLEEDS
07-14-2008, 12:13 PM
Kendall has struck out 243 times in the past 6 seasons or roughly 6-7 times out of every 100 official ab's, which doesn't even include the times he walks which makes it even less likely to strike him out. Runners on first and third with no outs, you have to walk Jason Kendall. You cant bank of him striking out and you you are going to have a tough play at the plate, much tougher than a force out. And it was Craig Counsell on deck, it wasn't Fielder coming up.

Don't try to argue Logic with HorsePooh... if it's not in the BoxScore he can't relate.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

CWRed
07-14-2008, 01:10 PM
He should have never been asked to go back out there. That was his third day in a row, sending him out for two innings is asking to lose the ballgame. I'm far from a Weathers fan but somehow I feel the need to defend him here. He's not that great a pitcher, and when you have him working on his fourth inning in three days, he's even worse.

Exactly

Ahhhorsepoo
07-14-2008, 02:37 PM
no.. i would have brought in cordero.. then had him try to strikeout kendall.. BLEEDS.. when i talk about things in the boxscore you still don't comprehend them..

Griffey012
07-14-2008, 03:03 PM
no.. i would have brought in cordero.. then had him try to strikeout kendall.. BLEEDS.. when i talk about things in the boxscore you still don't comprehend them..

The dude just doesn't strike out. Once out of roughly every 15 ab's. Your odds of having Counsell strike out, ground out to an infielder and get the force at home, hit a shallow fly that can't score the run, or pop out are much better. By walking Kendall you increase the odds of the strike out and you get the force at home instead of a riskier tag play. You increase your odds of the out in that situation and also have the double play potential on a comebacker, sharp grounder right at an infielder.

But of course playing the odds didnt work out, therefoe Dusty is a moron.

Ahhhorsepoo
07-14-2008, 03:31 PM
I never said dusty is a moron.. but walking the 8 batter in that situation never made sense4 to me..

Jack Burton
07-14-2008, 05:34 PM
Dusty is a moron, weathers is terrible. Everytime he messes up there are those that will come to his defense by saying, "it's one bad game", or "how 'bout last year". He's done, good riddance.

ChatterRed
07-14-2008, 05:58 PM
While I'm not a Weathers fan......pitching him 3 games in a row and then bringing him back out for a second inning in the last game is just plain stupid.

nemesis
07-14-2008, 06:41 PM
I don't want to hijack a thread or anything, but I have a question and since I cannot start a thread I guess this is the best current thread to ask it in...

Best I can figure Griffey, Arroyo, Dunn, Patterson, Fogg, Affeldt, Stanton, Ross, Valentin, Coffey, Hatterberg and Weathers are coming off the books plus a few other minor thises and that's players.

A few of those players will be replace by AAA players like Hanigan, Dickerson, Rosales, Herrera, Roenicke, Maloney, Bailey and Thompson.

That would be to my round about figuring as long as guys like Freel, Gonzalez and Harang and Hariston are kept around, about $50 Million off the books next year. Is that right? Wouldn't that give us major leverage in any bidding for any FA we truly wanted?

Fon Duc Tow
07-14-2008, 08:17 PM

this pretty much sums it up.

BLEEDS
07-15-2008, 11:27 AM
I don't want to hijack a thread or anything, but I have a question and since I cannot start a thread I guess this is the best current thread to ask it in...

Best I can figure Griffey, Arroyo, Dunn, Patterson, Fogg, Affeldt, Stanton, Ross, Valentin, Coffey, Hatterberg and Weathers are coming off the books plus a few other minor thises and that's players.

A few of those players will be replace by AAA players like Hanigan, Dickerson, Rosales, Herrera, Roenicke, Maloney, Bailey and Thompson.

That would be to my round about figuring as long as guys like Freel, Gonzalez and Harang and Hariston are kept around, about $50 Million off the books next year. Is that right? Wouldn't that give us major leverage in any bidding for any FA we truly wanted?

Not even close. There are tons of folks getting raises next year, including EE to Arbitration.

However, with the following Configuration of players:

Votto
BP
Gonzo
EE
TBD
TBD
Bruce
TBD

TBD
TBD
Kepp
Hopper
Freel

Harang
Arroyo
Volquez
Cueto
Bailey

Cordero
TBD
Bray
TBD
Burton
TBD
TBD

and assuming 1/2 of those TBD will be taken up by league Min - and estimates of $4M total between EE and Keppinger for Arb numbers - you have about $56M or so in Payroll.

THAT is enough to include Dunn at $15M and still be only at $71M. We could still sign 2or3 $2M-5M vet FA's and be under $80M. THEN we decide if we want to spend $10M or so on a bigger name FA and make a run for it.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Ahhhorsepoo
07-15-2008, 04:38 PM
10 mill for a big name free agent? that would get you a middle of the road FA these days..

BLEEDS
07-15-2008, 07:33 PM
10 mill for a big name free agent? that would get you a middle of the road FA these days..

Yeah, but in your world you'd get 2 Adam Dunn's for that...

PEACE

-BLEEDS

AFalcon10
07-17-2008, 05:37 PM
last i checked his era is either still sub 4 or hovering around there why is everybody so anxious to send him packing? But weathers real value is in his mentorship. He makes the entire bullpen better just talk to Jared about what Weathers has done for him. He is a valuable component of one of the strongest parts of our mediocre ballpark.