PDA

View Full Version : Lee & Sheets named as starters

RedsManRick
07-13-2008, 03:28 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080713&content_id=3127759&vkey=allstar2008&fext=.jsp

Sounds like Dusty's decision to run him out for the 7th inning cost him the start. Looks like it will be Zambrano. If you believe the ASG should reward stars rather than half-seasons, it's hard to argue.

MILWAUKEE -- Reds starter Edinson Volquez will not be the National League's starting pitcher at Tuesday's All-Star Game.

Volquez threw 114 pitches and allowed two runs (one earned) over seven innings and struck out 10 during Saturday's 8-2 Reds win over the Brewers. Reds manager Dusty Baker spoke with Rockies and NL manager Clint Hurdle on the phone about Volquez.

"[Hurdle] said he would try to get him an inning in the middle," Baker said Sunday morning. "He wanted to start him but he has some wonderful options."

It appeared the choices were down to the Brewers' Ben Sheets and the Cubs' Carlos Zambrano. Two other would-be choices -- Arizona's Brandon Webb and San Francisco's Tim Lincecum -- are starting on Sunday for their respective teams.

Volquez, a 25-year-old right-hander, is 12-3 with a NL-leading 2.29 ERA in 20 games, including 19 starts, this season. He came into the day tied with Lincecum for the NL lead with 126 strikeouts. Volquez is second in victories behind Webb.

The Reds are waiting to see if Volquez pitches Tuesday before deciding on when he will make his first second-half start.

Had he started on Tuesday at Yankee Stadium, Volquez would have been the first Reds All-Star starter since Jack Armstrong in 1990.

Bronson Arroyo was the last Reds pitcher to appear in an All-Star Game, in 2006 at Pittsburgh. He threw one scoreless inning of relief.

Sea Ray
07-13-2008, 07:07 PM
I'm OK with that. I don't think half year stars should start All Star games a la Jack Armstrong in 1990.

redsrule2500
07-13-2008, 07:24 PM
I think it should be based on performance thus far. It's the 2008 All-Star game, not 2007.

On a similar note, is Cliff Lee starting?

blumj
07-13-2008, 09:08 PM
I think it should be based on performance thus far. It's the 2008 All-Star game, not 2007.

On a similar note, is Cliff Lee starting?
I still haven't heard who's starting for the AL. I'd guess it would have to be either Lee or Halladay, and I'm just glad I'm not the one who has to decide.

RedlegJake
07-14-2008, 02:30 AM
I'm glad he made it and I'm glad he's not starting. 1 inning in the middle is great by me and better for Edinson.

WVRedsFan
07-14-2008, 02:34 AM
I hope he doesn't pitch at all. The AS game is something that should be played after the WS and reflects who the stars were for the season. I know the problems with that, but I still remember Jack Armstrong. The All-American Boy as Jack Buck kept reminding us of during and before the game.

And while I'm at it, any home run derby that doesn't include Ken Griffey, Jr. (despite what some think of him here) and Adam Dunn is a sham. Just thought I'd add that. I will continue my stance of not watching.

Jpup
07-14-2008, 02:56 AM
I still haven't heard who's starting for the AL. I'd guess it would have to be either Lee or Halladay, and I'm just glad I'm not the one who has to decide.

The rumor is Mo is going to start.

blumj
07-14-2008, 08:22 AM
The rumor is Mo is going to start.
Francona sounded almost appalled when he was asked about that.

Sea Ray
07-14-2008, 10:47 AM
And while I'm at it, any home run derby that doesn't include Ken Griffey, Jr. (despite what some think of him here) and Adam Dunn is a sham. Just thought I'd add that. I will continue my stance of not watching.

I'm of the opinion that you have to be an All Star to be in the HR derby. I think most players would prefer to keep their vacation plans than show up for the HR derby if they're not in the game itself on Tuesday

Joseph
07-14-2008, 12:52 PM
Not a huge surprise based on when other contenders last started. Volquez could have started as it was his throw day, but he can only go one inning so I think that coupled with Sheets performance against the Rockies this week sealed the deal.

Webb and Lincecum both went yesterday so are out of the running to start and Webb has said he won't pitch at all. Bochy said Lincecum can go if needed.

OnBaseMachine
07-14-2008, 12:53 PM
I was just about to post that.

Sheets named NL starting pitcher
Right-hander will be first Brewers hurler to start All-Star Game
By Adam McCalvy / MLB.com

MILWAUKEE -- Ben Sheets has been named the starting pitcher for the National League in Tuesday's All-Star Game.

Sheets will be the first Brewers pitcher to start a Midsummer Classic. He is on his fourth All-Star team and has pitched 2 1/3 scoreless innings in his previous appearances, but has never worked before the third inning.

Despite a loss to the Rockies on Wednesday, Sheets is 10-3 this season with a 2.85 ERA, 108 strikeouts and 28 walks in 123 innings.

Hurdle was limited in his choices by the schedule: a number of other worthy All-Star starters, including the Giants' Tim Lincecum (11-2, 2.57 ERA) and the D-backs' Brandon Webb (13-4, 3.23 ERA), pitched for their teams on Sunday.

Because Hurdle said he would give precedence to pitchers selected to the All-Star Game via the players' ballot, his choice came down to Sheets and Cincinnati's Edinson Volquez. Asked about his thinking last week, Hurdle referred to Sheets as, "the known," and Volquez as, "the fireball."

Reds manager Dusty Baker spoke on the telephone with Hurdle after Volquez threw 114 pitches against the Brewers on Saturday, and it was decided that someone else would start.

Sheets said he would love to be picked for the honor.

"Of course I would like to start it," Sheets said on the day the All-Star teams were announced. "But I won't campaign for it. I'm just happy to be there."

He has never been to Yankee Stadium.

"It's going to be pretty incredible," Sheets said. "A lot of guys were saying last year that this was the one they were looking forward to. Some of them guys are good enough to be looking forward to the next All-Star Game. ...

"In years past I did as little as possible and tried to get my rest, but I'm going to take advantage of this one and take my family to see what we can because it is the last game there. It is very special."

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080714&content_id=3134459&vkey=allstar2008&fext=.jsp

Sea Ray
07-14-2008, 01:00 PM
Let's hope Volquez is used for an inning or less. It's a no brainer when you consider how rested Sheets is.

Cyclone792
07-14-2008, 01:15 PM
Let's hope Volquez is used for an inning or less. It's a no brainer when you consider how rested Sheets is.

From what I've read, Hurdle is under strict orders from Dusty that Volquez is on a one inning limit.

Reds Fanatic
07-14-2008, 02:14 PM
Sheets and Lee will be the starters.

The Milwaukee Brewers' Ben Sheets and Cleveland Indians' Cliff Lee were chosen Monday for their first All-Star Game starts.

The right-handed Sheets, 10-3 with a 2.85 ERA, anchors a rotation that includes newly added CC Sabathia, who won his second game in as many starts with the Brewers on Sunday since being acquired in a trade with the Indians.

Lee has picked up where 2007 AL Cy Young Award winner Sabathia left off.

The left-handed Lee, who leads the AL in victories at 12-2 and is second with a 2.31 ERA, has persevered after having to earn a spot in the Cleveland rotation during spring training.

2008 All-Star Lineups
National League:
1. Hanley Ramirez, Florida, ss
2. Chase Utley, Philadelphia, 2b
3. Lance Berkman, Houston, 1b
4. Albert Pujols, St. Louis, dh
5. Chipper Jones, Atlanta, 3b
6. Matt Holliday, Colorado, rf
7. Ryan Braun, Milwaukee, lf
8. Kosuke Fukudome, Chicago, cf
9. Geovany Soto, Chicago, c
P: Ben Sheets, Milwaukee, rhp

American League:
1. Ichiro Suzuki, Seattle, rf
2. Derek Jeter, New York, ss
3. Josh Hamilton, Texas, cf
4. Alex Rodriguez, New York, 3b
5. Manny Ramirez, Boston, lf
6. Milton Bradley, Texas, dh
7. Kevin Youkilis, Boston, 1b
8. Joe Mauer, Minnesota, c
9. Dustin Pedroia, Boston, 2b
P: Cliff Lee, Cleveland, lhp
"I'd like to thank Terry Francona for giving me the opportunity to start the game," Lee said of the Red Sox manager. "It's just an honor to be here, to start the game is icing on the cake."

When asked if he was nervous about starting for the NL team on Tuesday night, Sheets said he was ready.

"I was nervous about this interview, more so than this game," Sheets said, referring to Monday's news conference.

Francona said he considered starting Yankees closer Mariano Rivera in the final season of Yankee Stadium, but said it would be unfair to the other starters.

"Mariano may be the greatest reliever of all time, but he's not a starter," Francona said.

Degenerate39
07-14-2008, 03:00 PM
I like seeing Hamilton in the 3rd spot. I really hope we can see Hamilton Vs Volquez.

Joseph
07-14-2008, 03:12 PM
From what I've read, Hurdle is under strict orders from Dusty that Volquez is on a one inning limit.

Which is exactly the right thing to do. Hopefully he'll strike out Hamilton in that inning.

Ron Madden
07-14-2008, 03:51 PM
Will RedsZone have a Game Thread for the All-Star Game?

Degenerate39
07-14-2008, 03:52 PM
http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/?cl=8798397

A nice video related to Hamilton in the HR Derby

Joseph
07-14-2008, 04:09 PM
I'm not sure I'll even watch the HR derby but its good to see some fresh faces participating.

KronoRed
07-14-2008, 04:22 PM
Which is exactly the right thing to do. Hopefully he'll strike out Hamilton in that inning.

I dunno, the gnashing of teeth that would take place here if Hamilton took him deep might be worth the harm to the NL :devil:

Vada Pinson Fan
07-14-2008, 06:05 PM
I like seeing Hamilton in the 3rd spot. I really hope we can see Hamilton Vs Volquez.

Same here. I hope it works out that Edinson Volquez pitches to Josh Hamilton and Volquez k's Hamilton to preserve the lead for the National League. Just to see E.V. do well and have the NL win would be good enough for me.

blumj
07-14-2008, 07:11 PM
If you guys were AL fans, you'd be killing Francona for that lineup.

Joseph
07-14-2008, 07:33 PM
I dunno, the gnashing of teeth that would take place here if Hamilton took him deep might be worth the harm to the NL :devil:

Don't make me hurt you for wishing for that. :)

I think above the Dunn bashers vs the Dunn lovers.....above the stats vs 'eyeballs'.....above the prospects vs vets.....I think above all those I dislike the "We should never have traded Hamilton'' worst of all.

Actually I don't mind the opinion so much as the ones who seem to have elevated him to teen heart throb status and just drool all over themselves when he's discussed.

He's a fine player, a nice redemption story, but he comes off a little kooky sometimes and for goodness sake he played a season here. So did Tony Fernandez.

Big Klu
07-14-2008, 07:42 PM
If you guys were AL fans, you'd be killing Francona for that lineup.

I like that NL lineup, though.