PDA

View Full Version : Some Players Hold Their Noses to Say Goodbye to Stadium

westofyou
07-15-2008, 11:46 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/15/sports/baseball/15stadium.html?ex=1216785600&en=00109c6a019ed8e4&ei=5070&emc=eta1

July 15, 2008
Some Players Hold Their Noses to Say Goodbye to Stadium
By ALAN SCHWARZ

As players were beseeched by countless members of the news media to eulogize Yankee Stadium as it hosts its last All-Star Game, those sufficiently provoked Monday were willing to discuss what they would not miss about the old — very old — ballpark in the Bronx.

Players from the past had no problem saying goodbye to the Astrodome’s rats and Candlestick Park’s hurricane-force winds. Today’s All-Stars have their own reasons to dry their eyes at Yankee Stadium’s funeral.

“The smell,” the Texas Rangers’ Michael Young said.

“The tiny clubhouse,” Justin Duchscherer of the Oakland Athletics added.

“Hitting my head on the dugout,” the Chicago White Sox’ Joe Crede offered. “Every time somebody scored or got a hit, you jumped up and forgot how low the ceiling is in there.”

Yankee Stadium is holding up about as well as any 85-year-old can be expected to, but the ballpark’s 1970s facelift has begun to droop. Players found reasons for moving on easy to come up with.

Olfactory issues led the voting, although few players were able to identify what the problem has been. Is one of Babe Ruth’s half-eaten hot dogs still rotting under one of the grandstands? Are the foul lines marked with sulfur? And how long does pine tar keep, anyway?

“Especially when it rains, the smell that comes up through the drainage system is not pretty,” said Jason Varitek of the Boston Red Sox. “It affects your sinuses, I’ll tell you that much.”

Young added: “It depends on the day. The last time we were there, which was a couple of weeks ago, a pipe burst. I was going back up the tunnel, and there was a flood — a sewer line broke or something like that. So I still have that kind of in my nose right now.”

Yankee Stadium’s cramped visitors clubhouse is no favorite among big leaguers. It’s almost impossible to follow the game from the low-set dugout, Chipper Jones of the Atlanta Braves said. J. D. Drew of the Red Sox said of the new stadium, “Maybe they’ll have a batting cage for the visiting side.”

Dan Haren of the Arizona Diamondbacks found himself being careful about what he wished for.

“Leaving tickets for family here can be quite expensive,” he said. “But I’m sure that’s not going to change here next year at the new Yankee Stadium. I’m going to have to start charging my parents for tickets.”

Joe Nathan of the Minnesota Twins viewed the Yankees’ moving to a new ballpark as a form of exorcism, which was seconded by Jones. “The ghosts,” he said. “There’s a reason these guys have won so much. Good to get a fresh start in the new place.”

The Diamondbacks’ Brandon Webb agreed. But he decided that as much as he might not miss Yankee Stadium, he would miss another departing New York ballpark even less.

“I think Shea smells worse,” Webb said.

NJReds
07-15-2008, 12:08 PM
Dan Haren of the Arizona Diamondbacks found himself being careful about what he wished for.

“Leaving tickets for family here can be quite expensive,” he said. “But I’m sure that’s not going to change here next year at the new Yankee Stadium. I’m going to have to start charging my parents for tickets.”

I love hearing multi-millionaires complain about money. He could buy a block of tickets with his per diem. :rolleyes:

“I think Shea smells worse,” Webb said.

Agreed.

REDREAD
07-15-2008, 12:21 PM
I love hearing multi-millionaires complain about money. He could buy a block of tickets with his per diem. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I thought the same thing when I read that quote.. I hope he was joking, but that didn't come out so well.. Poor guy, I guess he'll have to cut back because the high ticket prices (which help pay his salary) are out of control. :lol:

NJReds
07-15-2008, 12:48 PM
Yeah, I thought the same thing when I read that quote.. I hope he was joking, but that didn't come out so well.. Poor guy, I guess he'll have to cut back because the high ticket prices (which help pay his salary) are out of control. :lol:

True. Most reporters don't take time out to explain context. He may have been joking around, but in black and white he looks awful whiny in this instance.

CrackerJack
07-15-2008, 12:53 PM
From what I've heard/read, just about everything in NYC and NJ smells.

Hap
07-15-2008, 01:05 PM
http://images.cafepress.com/product/9379604_240x240_Front.jpghttp://images.cafepress.com/product/9379604_240x240_Back.jpg

NJReds
07-15-2008, 01:33 PM
From what I've heard/read, just about everything in NYC and NJ smells.

New Jersey gets its bad reputation from the Newark/Bayonne area by the docks. (Across the river from NYC). It does stink there from all the chemical plants.

But most of the rest of the state is great. Extremely rural in the western part of the state. There are a lot of farms in NJ, but that gets lost because of one very small area from the Meadowlands through Newark and Elizabeth.

KronoRed
07-15-2008, 01:54 PM
Facelift? come on that was almost a comeplete tear down.

Most stadiums from the 70's stink to high heaven.

Tom Servo
07-15-2008, 02:24 PM
I lived in (Northern) New Jersey for just about all 18 years of my life until I moved to North Carolina last month. I plan on going back to NJ next week so I think I will finally be able to tell whether it smells or not. Although I'm likely staying with my friend who lives in Bayonne so that could skewer it. :p:

redsmetz
07-15-2008, 02:37 PM

While it's no excuse, I think he's grousing as many players are now, that they have to pay income taxes on the value of ticket. They were free, but the IRS determined they were an additional form of compensation and were therefore taxable. It's not like it's kicking them into another tax bracket.

15fan
07-15-2008, 04:05 PM
So a couple of the Red Sox think Yankee Stadium stinks?

I bet you could find a couple of Yankees who think the same thing about Fenway.

Personally, I think the Yanks are doing a huge disservice by moving. I look for them to go through a period like the Celtics did after they tore down the Boston Garden. They'll pay a price for tearing down the shrine.

If the structure of the stadium is in that bad of shape, they could have ripped down the stadium after the final pitch of the 2008 season, moved to Shea for a year while a new park was built around the existing field, and moved into their new stadium for OD 2010.

chicoruiz
07-15-2008, 05:21 PM
Personally, I think the Yanks are doing a huge disservice by moving. I look for them to go through a period like the Celtics did after they tore down the Boston Garden. They'll pay a price for tearing down the shrine.

I think the price they pay for tearing down a shrine will pale beside the price they pay for having Hank Steinbrenner in a position of responsibility.