PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday July 15th minor league updates

OnBaseMachine
07-15-2008, 02:53 PM
Louisville and Chattanooga are off for their All-Star breaks while Sarasota and Dayton and Billings are all off because of the major league All-Star game.

The GCL Reds and DSL Reds are the only teams to play today.

OnBaseMachine
07-15-2008, 02:55 PM
The GCL Reds lost 6-4.

Puckett: 1-for-3 homerun (#2), walk
Contreras: 1-for-4 homerun (#1)
Vasquez: 1-for-3 double, HBP
Coddington: 1-for-3 HBP

Snowden: 6 IP, 6 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 7 K

OnBaseMachine
07-15-2008, 03:00 PM
He didn't play today but Alexis Oliveras entered today's game with two consecutive four-hit games and an overall statline of .452/.531/.571 - 1.102 OPS through 42 atbats with a fine 7 BB/9 K ratio. He was drafted by the Reds in the 9th round last year out of the Puerto Rico Baseball Academy. He's only 19-years old and plays center field so he's someone worth keeping an eye on.

Shea Snowden is another young player to watch for...he now has a 0.69 ERA in 26 innings with only 18 hits allowed and a 5 BB/23 K ratio.

OnBaseMachine
07-15-2008, 11:00 PM
The DSL Reds lost 7-6.

Juan Duran went 1-for-3 with three walks and a stolen base.

jt4prez
07-16-2008, 12:47 AM
I must say that while Duran hasn't been performing up to the standards that we might hope for, he has been very patient and has drawn a rather impressive amount of walks for a player of his age. Once he gets out of the slump he is currently in I expect that his stat line will improve dramatically.

Degenerate39
07-16-2008, 12:59 AM
I must say that while Duran hasn't been performing up to the standards that we might hope for, he has been very patient and has drawn a rather impressive amount of walks for a player of his age. Once he gets out of the slump he is currently in I expect that his stat line will improve dramatically.

He's 16 years old. I don't think anyone's expecting him to kill the ball right now.

jt4prez
07-16-2008, 01:29 AM
I certainly didn't expect him to hit .320 right off the bat. For a 16 yr old kid who has never faced this level of competition before he is certainly holding his own. I was just saying that most people, me included would like to see him in the mid .200 range. The season is young and he is in a little slump. I'm not worried at all.

My original post was merely commenting on the fact that despite his recent struggles he is drawing a very respectable amount of walks for a player of his age. This will only help him as he starts to figure out the pitching in the more advanced leagues down the road.

Mario-Rijo
07-16-2008, 04:07 AM
He didn't play today but Alexis Oliveras entered today's game with two consecutive four-hit games and an overall statline of .452/.531/.571 - 1.102 OPS through 42 atbats with a fine 7 BB/9 K ratio. He was drafted by the Reds in the 9th round last year out of the Puerto Rico Baseball Academy. He's only 19-years old and plays center field so he's someone worth keeping an eye on.

Shea Snowden is another young player to watch for...he now has a 0.69 ERA in 26 innings with only 18 hits allowed and a 5 BB/23 K ratio.

NM

princeton
07-16-2008, 10:37 AM

probably

the deal is that this scouting department has been pretty good at identifying solid, low-cost prospects, but it's not clear that they throw the big money at the right players. Until they score a knockout, we'll always wonder.