PDA

View Full Version : Random Thoughts

BCubb2003
07-15-2008, 07:01 PM
I guess I'm going to have to wait another year for my dream of an On Base Percentage Derby.

For Reds fans, watching Josh Hamilton is liking watching Rocky II.

On XM this morning, they played a 1995 playoff game between the Reds and Dodgers, with Jeff Brantley closing and Vin Scully talking about "the remarkable Mr. Larkin."

Plenty of tickets were available for the next playoff game at Dodger Stadium.

The Reds were first in the league in defense and the Dodgers were last.

The league that loses the All-Star game should have to send one team down to AAA next season. Then it would really count.

But the National League would become a four-team league.

So these days the Yankees are the second-best major-league team based in Tampa.

redsmetz
07-15-2008, 07:24 PM
Technically the Rays are in St. Petersburg.

princeton
07-15-2008, 07:34 PM

bet you're fun at parties

BCubb2003
07-15-2008, 07:43 PM

Yeah, I know, but I think that other team should be called the Tampa Bay D-Yanks.

Homer Bailey
07-15-2008, 09:31 PM
bet you're fun at parties

LOL.

Joseph
07-15-2008, 09:52 PM

And the Angels are in Anaheim, whats that got to do with marketing? lol

BCubb2003
07-15-2008, 09:55 PM
And the Angels are in Anaheim, whats that got to do with marketing? lol

The Angels are the most redundantly named team in the world.

The Los Angeles Angels (of Anaheim)

The The Angels Angels (of Anaheim)

PuffyPig
07-15-2008, 11:07 PM

Well,THe Cincinnat Airport is in Kentucky......

durl
07-16-2008, 10:08 AM
The Home Run Derby should not throw out homers from the first 2 rounds. I thought the contest was to see who can hit the most homers, not who can hit the most homers in the 3rd round. A guy who hits 28 homers in the first round should get the trophy.

The All-Star Game should not determine home field advantage for the World Series. The team with the best record in baseball could play a Wild Card team but not have home field advantage. Bad.

Watching NL catchers try to throw out AL runners in the All-Star game was a spectacular example of how the best players are not always selected.

Something that has always puzzled me is why can't pitchers hit better? I mean, a big part of hitting is knowing what's coming. I would think pitchers would be best able to determine which pitch is coming and recognize it from the pitcher's delivery.

People who say baseball is boring probably need most things in their lives to run at hyperspeed. But...

Watching classic games (1970s) on TV makes it easy to see that the pace of the game has really slowed. Batters used to stay in the batter's box and pitchers would seemingly throw a pitch every 10 seconds. I like that.

macro
07-17-2008, 10:58 AM
...Batters used to stay in the batter's box and pitchers would seemingly throw a pitch every 10 seconds. I like that.

This guy apparently shares that passion...

http://www.bustedplay.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/mark.jpg

...but I'm partial to this guy...

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/images/2005/01/22/59SYA6BR.jpg