PDA

View Full Version : Griffey JR-Arbitration?

Sea Ray
07-15-2008, 10:15 PM
I think there is a concensus that it is worthwhile for the Reds to offer Adam Dunn arbitration. But the more interesting question surrounds Griffey. Do you think we should offer him arbitration?

I say yes and here's why. I in no way want him back in 2009 but I can't imagine there's any way he'd take it. He's not going to take arbitration from a team that has no position for him, nor does he want to risk the meager salary an arbitrator may offer him. If we have to eat the $4mill buyout we might as well cash in on a draft pick or two depending on how he's classified.

Benihana
07-15-2008, 10:18 PM
I think there is a concensus that it is worthwhile for the Reds to offer Adam Dunn arbitration. But the more interesting question surrounds Griffey. Do you think we should offer him arbitration?

I say yes and here's why. I in no way want him back in 2009 but I can't imagine there's any way he'd take it. He's not going to take arbitration from a team that has no position for him, nor does he want to risk the meager salary an arbitrator may offer him. If we have to eat the $4mill buyout we might as well cash in on a draft pick or two depending on how he's classified.

not a risk worth taking IMO. Given what he's shown already this year with his lineups, Dusty can't say no to Jr. If he's on the roster, he's gonna get penciled in every day in the #3 spot, and that cripples the team again for next year.

Plus, would he still even qualify as a Type A?

JaxRed
07-15-2008, 10:21 PM
You can only cut a guy's salary by 20% in your arb offer. So let's assume they call his 2008 contract 10 million. (i think they figure back in some part of the deferred money). That would mean our lowest offer would be 8 million.

So, if he goes to arb and we WIN arb it would still cost us 12 million to employ him. If we lose it goes higher.

So, you have to be pretty sure he's going to get signed to take that chance.

Sea Ray
07-15-2008, 10:45 PM
You can only cut a guy's salary by 20% in your arb offer. So let's assume they call his 2008 contract 10 million. (i think they figure back in some part of the deferred money). That would mean our lowest offer would be 8 million.

So, if he goes to arb and we WIN arb it would still cost us 12 million to employ him. If we lose it goes higher.

So, you have to be pretty sure he's going to get signed to take that chance.

If you're right then no way should we offer arbitration. But are you sure about that?

The Club's Arbitration Offer Requirements
(1) A club must offer contracts to players under its control by no later than December 12;

(2) If a player has filed for free agency, his former club must offer him arbitration by December 1. If the player accepts by December 7, the player is placed back on the team's roster, and the two sides may continue to negotiate or go to an arbitration hearing. If the free agent player declines the arbitration offer, the sides may continue to negotiate.

(3) The club's salary offer to a player under its control may not be less than 80% of the player's total compensation from the prior year, and may not be less than 70% of his compensation from 2 years earlier. These rules, however, do not apply to free agents who are offered arbitration.

It would be my understanding that Griffey doesn't qualify for the 20% cut limit. How do you read it?

http://baseball.suite101.com/article.cfm/how_baseball_arbitration_works

HokieRed
07-15-2008, 10:57 PM
Buy him out and let's get on--somewhat belatedly--to the future.