PDA

View Full Version : Anybody worried about Volquez?

gobucks106
07-16-2008, 09:13 AM
He goes an inning gives up two runs on two hits and strikes out two. Throws 18 pitches. Blown save and gives up the tying runs on a homer to JD Drew. I guess that's why they are all-stars. Hope this doesn't effect his second half of the season. Much the same way the 18th inning homer to the Padres he rebounded from that! We'll see. Wonder when Baker will schedule him to pitch again. My guess is Sunday against Pedro.

JWP
07-16-2008, 10:19 AM
He goes an inning gives up two runs on two hits and strikes out two. Throws 18 pitches. Blown save and gives up the tying runs on a homer to JD Drew. I guess that's why they are all-stars. Hope this doesn't effect his second half of the season. Much the same way the 18th inning homer to the Padres he rebounded from that! We'll see. Wonder when Baker will schedule him to pitch again. My guess is Sunday against Pedro.

No.

His last start he want 7 innings with 2 walks and struck out 10. He's fine. He was pitching on short rest.

Fon Duc Tow
07-16-2008, 10:53 AM
Volquez is the last Reds starting pitcher I am worried about.

RedsFanInBama
07-16-2008, 11:14 AM
Absolutely not worried.

I am curious to see about a month from now how he handles the innings starting to pile up. He's about 60 innings from pitching his most ever for a season (and that doesn't account for Spring Training). For Edinson, that will mean probably 9 or 10 more starts before he reaches that number. I guess that will take him into September, but I would think he'll be shut down before the season ends (I certainly hope so if the Reds are out of it).

reds2221
07-16-2008, 11:28 AM
I am not worried at all. He just pitched a great game on saturday, pitching again on tuesday is always hard to do. My guess is that he will either pitch saturday or sunday and should most likely have a good outing.

HeatherC1212
07-16-2008, 11:44 AM
IIRC, I think Dusty said he was hoping to have Edinson start on Sunday if he ended up pitching in the AS game. I would love that because it would be Volquez against Pedro...Little Pedro vs. Big Pedro! That's just great fun right there. I'm not worried about Edinson at all. I hope his second half goes just like his first half and he keeps putting up great outings for us. :jump:

Ghosts of 1990
07-16-2008, 11:56 AM
He hit 98 on the gun.

eastkyred
07-16-2008, 12:43 PM
He also threw a good pitch that Drew hit out. Sometimes homeruns are a result of very good hitting, not bad pitches. The pitch Drew hit out was 97 mph on the inside corner at the knees. Most of the time, good hitters will be lucky to make any contact with that ball.

CWRed
07-16-2008, 12:59 PM
No. But worried about Junior, Arroyo, EE, Patterson, Javy, Hopper, Fogg, Harang, Maejewski, Weathers, and the fact that Jerry Hairston seems to be the best hitter on the team right now...etc.

:)

Shawn_RedsFan
07-16-2008, 01:34 PM
Absolutely not worried.

I am curious to see about a month from now how he handles the innings starting to pile up. He's about 60 innings from pitching his most ever for a season (and that doesn't account for Spring Training). For Edinson, that will mean probably 9 or 10 more starts before he reaches that number. I guess that will take him into September, but I would think he'll be shut down before the season ends (I certainly hope so if the Reds are out of it).

I wouldn't mind see him being shut down either, but I REALLY doubt that will happen...CY YOUNG :beerme:

BlastFurnace
07-16-2008, 01:59 PM
I'm not worried about him, but I am not expecting another 12-3 half of the season either.

shredda2000
07-16-2008, 03:49 PM
I'm not worried about him, but I am not expecting another 12-3 half of the season either.

24-6? Now I could live with that ;)

redsfanmia
07-16-2008, 06:51 PM
I am worried about workload, I bet he would fetch a handsome return at the deadline. I think we should field offers for him to gauge interest.

bengalsown
07-16-2008, 07:04 PM
So this thread isn't a joke?

superred
07-16-2008, 07:37 PM
I am worried about workload, I bet he would fetch a handsome return at the deadline. I think we should field offers for him to gauge interest.

abosolutely not, why would u do that:confused:

BlastFurnace
07-16-2008, 07:48 PM

That's crazy. What would be the point in that! Volquez, Cueto, and Harang are going to make us contenders next season.

keeganbrick
07-16-2008, 07:49 PM
If Corey Hart cant actually cut off a ball the proper way there is never a leadoff double. The next hitter grounded out to the shortstop which would have been a double play, then next hitter strikes out.

redsfanmia
07-16-2008, 08:47 PM
abosolutely not, why would u do that:confused:

Sell high before Dusty ruins him.

RedsFanInBama
07-16-2008, 08:51 PM
Sell high before Dusty ruins him.
Dusty has done nothing but handle the young pitchers with kid gloves. He's been very careful all season with Volquez and Cueto.

redsfanmia
07-16-2008, 08:55 PM
Dusty has done nothing but handle the young pitchers with kid gloves. He's been very careful all season with Volquez and Cueto.

I hope they go with a 6 man rotation in the second half to protect the future. I was only joking about trading Edinson.

Kingspoint
07-16-2008, 11:47 PM
No worries.

Slyder
07-17-2008, 01:40 AM
He's not a reliever sue em. Some guys just arent cut out for pen work, he's an excellent starter though.

AFalcon10
07-17-2008, 03:49 PM
To preach to the choir I am definately not worried about Volquez. I am not quite sure if he'll repeat his first half stats but even if he does not Volquez will be a stalward in the Reds rotation for years to come. Great trade for both clubs. I do think he has a little bit of growing up to do , his body language on the mound can be a little concerning sometimes particuarly when Bako/Ross/ Pole/Baker come out to talk to him but his stuff is electric and hes still young.