PDA

View Full Version : Is there a more reviled RED than Junior

Nugget
07-16-2008, 09:53 AM
On the current team is there a more reviled RED among the REDS supporters than Junior.

Other than Dusty (and maybe Dick Pole) out of the current REDS roster is anyone more hated than Junior. Maybe Josh Fogg (but he probably isn't in the game enough to warrant comment).

Usually fans are over the moon if one of their players makes it into the All-Star team (especially by fan votes) but it seemed that if Junior made it, it was going to be the biggest calamity since the great flood. Yes I know one of the arguments was that if he made it that would preclude Edinson Volquez getting in - but you'd think the ASG roster would have room for the pitcher with the best ERA in the majors. Junior didn't make it and that didn't end up in Brandon Phillips or Adam Dunn being picked.

Just wondering is there a more reviled RED at the moment than Junior?

nate
07-16-2008, 09:57 AM
Adam Dunn.

Always Red
07-16-2008, 10:04 AM
Jeff Brantley is now on record with his opinion that Dunn and Junior both need to be platooned for the remainder of the year.

I think most folks just flat out hate Dunn. I know a lot of my friends who are more casual fans than me cannot stand him or appreciate his skill set.

I don't think Junior is hated at all. I think most just ponder what could have been; the Reds didn't get what they thought they were getting with Junior (through no fault of anyone's). I'm sure no one is more disappointed about that than Junior.

I'd still do that deal for Junior, everyday of the week. I truly thought the Reds would win one or two WS titles, adding him to a 99 win team.

Spring~Fields
07-16-2008, 10:08 AM
On the current team is there a more reviled RED among the REDS supporters than Junior.

Other than Dusty (and maybe Dick Pole) out of the current REDS roster is anyone more hated than Junior. Maybe Josh Fogg (but he probably isn't in the game enough to warrant comment).

Just wondering is there a more reviled RED at the moment than Junior?

Mr. No On Base Percentage, Corey Patterson, himself, the epitome of and poster child for being at the wrong place, at the wrong time, in the most inopportune moment.

lollipopcurve
07-16-2008, 10:13 AM
Mr. No On Base Percentage, Corey Patterson, himself, the epitome of and poster child for being at the wrong place, at the wrong time, in the most inopportune moment.

Easily correct. Griffey and Dunn don't get booed like CPatt.

dfs
07-16-2008, 10:57 AM
Majewski comes to mind. I think we can all agree about him. When the game is close, nobody wants him in the game. Well, except for the guy standing on deck.

westofyou
07-16-2008, 10:59 AM
Junior could not handle the hatred heaped upon Juan Castro, he'd collapse beneath the weight of the malice encumbered in the words used by Reds fans to describe his presence in Cincinnati in the 21st century.

Roy Tucker
07-16-2008, 11:16 AM
Just my $.02, but if you say you hate a baseball player, then it's time to go take a walk or go catch butterflies or something.

Baseball is life, not life or death.

princeton
07-16-2008, 11:17 AM
again, the answer is Fidel Castro.

REDREAD
07-16-2008, 11:19 AM

Yeah, I thnk Patterson is probably the most hated Red on this board. Dude seldom even plays but gets held up as the cause for most of what's wrong with this team. He also seems to be hated by the casual fan too.

Dunn is hated by Marty, but I think he's liked among most fans, other than a few people that buy into Marty's thinking.. But I see a lot of Dunn jerseys and I think the casual fan loves Dunn.

I think Jr is hated much more here (on the internet) because amatuer GMs see him as a huge pot of money that could be spent to get this team to first place. In reality, the "Saved" money from Jr won't even pay for Freel and Gonzo next year.. two guys that won't start (even if they are physically able to play)..

Nugget
07-16-2008, 11:20 AM
Castro is no longer on the REDS roster but I agree that when he was here - there seemed to be no way he could do any good in the eyes of REDS supporters.

As for Corey Patterson there seems to be less vitriol directed at him since he has become the reserve CF and no longer batting lead-off.

As for the Junior v Dunn - I think there are currently more defenders of Dunn than Junior. But it is interesting what is said about the casual observer. Is there more love for Junior in the general public than there is at the REDS?

RedEye
07-16-2008, 11:22 AM

Although I think one could argue that he actually was in the right place (Cincy team with no CF) at the right time (Baker the new manager) to add some at bats to his waning career.

As far as "most reviled Red" is concerned, it's Dunn, no contest.

Dom Heffner
07-16-2008, 11:25 AM
I am by no means the English teacher here, but if there is any possible way to not capitalize every letter in Reds, it would be appreciated.

All caps indicates to the reader to turn the volume up, and the noise gets a little loud in my head.

lollipopcurve
07-16-2008, 11:28 AM
Just my $.02, but if you say you hate a baseball player, then it's time to go take a walk or go catch butterflies or something.

Baseball is life, not life or death.

With ya on that, RT.

Unassisted
07-16-2008, 11:35 AM
I am by no means the English teacher here, but if there is any possible way to not capitalize every letter in Reds, it would be appreciated.

All caps indicates to the reader to turn the volume up, and the noise gets a little loud in my head.Just imagine how loud it would be if we were discussing Diamondbacks. ;)

Roy Tucker
07-16-2008, 12:03 PM
Just imagine how loud it would be if we were discussing Diamondbacks. ;)

Or LBALACUSNAIBA

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Long_Beach_Armada_of_Los_Angeles_o f_California_of_the_United_States_of_North_America _Including_Barrow%2C_Alaska

red-in-la
07-16-2008, 12:13 PM
Yeah, I thnk Patterson is probably the most hated Red on this board. Dude seldom even plays but gets held up as the cause for most of what's wrong with this team. He also seems to be hated by the casual fan too.

Dunn is hated by Marty, but I think he's liked among most fans, other than a few people that buy into Marty's thinking.. But I see a lot of Dunn jerseys and I think the casual fan loves Dunn.

I think Jr is hated much more here (on the internet) because amatuer GMs see him as a huge pot of money that could be spent to get this team to first place. In reality, the "Saved" money from Jr won't even pay for Freel and Gonzo next year.. two guys that won't start (even if they are physically able to play)..

I'm not so sure about this. The option on JR is for what 12 million? I think the Reds can get a pretty decent pitcher for that kind of money. If the Reds don't sign a serious FA pitcher this winter, after letting JR and Dunn walk, I will be quite disappointed.

RedEye
07-16-2008, 12:13 PM

All caps indicates to the reader to turn the volume up, and the noise gets a little loud in my head.

I was just going to post something like this, too.

Nugget
07-16-2008, 01:14 PM
I believe that Junior's option is $16 million in salary and $4 million buyout.

When I support the REDS I always TURN UP THE VOLUME! Accordingly, take two asprin after reading this thread.

TeamBoone
07-16-2008, 03:50 PM

Ooooh boy... SIGH!

Such nitpicking... how many really care!! Just say no and don't read it if it bothers you that much.

klw
07-16-2008, 06:39 PM
again, the answer is Fidel Castro.

I disagree as the topic is not limited to most reviled living Red. I think Stalin would likely outpace Fidel when it is opened up to all available Reds. I see a poll as being helpful here.

Always Red
07-16-2008, 06:49 PM
I disagree as the topic is not limited to most reviled living Red. I think Stalin would likely outpace Fidel when it is opened up to all available Reds. I see a poll as being helpful here.

Trotsky, Molotov, Mao, Ho Chi Minh...

You're leaving out some of the "infamous" names here...

RedFanAlways1966
07-16-2008, 08:46 PM

Over 10,000 posts... and it is REDS everytime. Find one time where it isn't and I have $20 to send via money order or PayPal. The volume knob is at 11 on this REDS amplifier. LOUD and PROUD! :)

http://www.uncrate.com/men/images/2006/06/paul-frank-volume-tee.jpg

Jpup
07-16-2008, 09:02 PM
:laugh:

Spring~Fields
07-16-2008, 10:47 PM

Win a few in a row, about 5 they'll all be loved again. ;)
Except Corey.........he's Dusty's boy. :D

REDREAD
07-16-2008, 11:14 PM
I'm not so sure about this. The option on JR is for what 12 million? I think the Reds can get a pretty decent pitcher for that kind of money. If the Reds don't sign a serious FA pitcher this winter, after letting JR and Dunn walk, I will be quite disappointed.

The problem is that we owe AGon about 6 million next year, and Freel about 4 million.. Plus, we are going to have to get an OF to replace Jr, which will cost some money (I really hope they aren't planning on Freel/Hopper to play RF).

A lot of players are getting pretty hefty raises next year as well. I hope Cast is feeling generous, and the indigestion from all Wayne's bad contracts doesn't tighten the wallet up.

REDREAD
07-16-2008, 11:17 PM
Win a few in a row, about 5 they'll all be loved again. ;)
Except Corey.........he's Dusty's boy. :D

:lol:

Yep, the team could be ahead 10 runs and people would still have a stroke when Patterson is subbed into the game in the 6th inning..

Caveat Emperor
07-16-2008, 11:51 PM

What about Julius and Ethel Rosenberg? Gotta have some love for our All-American Reds.

WVRedsFan
07-17-2008, 02:01 AM
No doubt that Patteson is the current whipping boy. No doubt that Dunn is the year-round trade target along with Junior. No one ever thinks about where the offense would come from without those two. All they see is weak groundouts to first and the strikeouts. Who will replace Dunn and Griffey? No one knows. Oh yeah we mention Thompson, Hopper, and Freel, but those are not good options. It will take some FA additions and/or some quick development, but it will be cheap which seems to be the main consideration or a lot of folks. All well and good, but on a team so offensively challenged that 4 runs in the norm, offensive should be the main focus of the FO. Let's see if that happens with the emminent departure of our corner outfielders.

Spring~Fields
07-17-2008, 02:09 AM

Trotsky ! If my Russian history serves me well, wasn't he done in by Joseph Stalin via orders and an ice pick in Mexico?

Ron Madden
07-17-2008, 04:42 AM
Just listen to local sportstalk radio, read any Reds message board or some of the stuff written by the beat writers. Nobody gets bashed like Adam Dunn.

:(

Strikes Out Looking
07-17-2008, 08:12 AM
I think reviled is pretty strong.

I think Dunn draws the most frustration. Fan's expect someone who hits 40 hrs and 100 rbis to do that task in a certain way. Dunn compiles those stats differently than almost any player in MLB history, and that leads to certain amount of frustration among fans (and probably gms, managers and scouts).

Griffey is the most disappointing Red. We know the story--Jimbo brought him to Cincy in 2000 to put the Reds over the top and into the playoffs. It never happened as Jr. fought injuries for 5 years and then when he was healthy, he was just old.

I don't really dislike any of the players on the club today. I hold out real dislike for some in the past, like Joe Hoerner, 1978, Cesar Cedeno, 1982, Tom "I want out" Seaver in 1982, and Danny Graves at the end of his career. None of these guys today touch that.

LvJ
07-17-2008, 08:23 AM
again, the answer is Fidel Castro.http://smiliesftw.com/x/hahaoh.gif

smith288
07-17-2008, 12:01 PM
What about Julius and Ethel Rosenberg? Gotta have some love for our All-American Reds.
Theres a few in Hollywood I would consider home grown reds.

cincinnati chili
07-17-2008, 12:11 PM
Trotsky ! If my Russian history serves me well, wasn't he done in by Joseph Stalin via orders and an ice pick in Mexico?

Pretty much. I believe it was an ice axe, not an ice pick. And the assassin, like the Reds' offense, swung without making solid contact. This allowed Trotsky to survive for a day or so with severe brain damage.

Always Red
07-17-2008, 12:22 PM
Pretty much. I believe it was an ice axe, not an ice pick. And the assassin, like the Reds' offense, swung without making solid contact. This allowed Trotsky to survive for a day or so with severe brain damage.

http://www.okay.com/dunc/images/trotsky840.jpg