PDA

View Full Version : Dodgers lose their closer for at least 6 weeks

Reds Fanatic
07-16-2008, 01:29 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3491451

LOS ANGELES -- Dodgers closer Takashi Saito will be sidelined until at least late August with a sprained elbow ligament in his pitching arm.

Saito, 38, was diagnosed Tuesday by team physician Neal ElAttrache, who has ruled out surgery for now. Saito is headed for the 15-day disabled list and will rehabilitate his right arm for six weeks, then be reevaluated, the team said.

He is 3-3 with a 2.18 ERA in 39 appearances. Saito has 17 saves in 20 chances.

General manager Ned Colletti said it is difficult to replace a closer.

"As far as trading for a closer, it's a lot like trying to acquire a shortstop -- it's a premium position and most teams don't carry an excess," Colletti said from the All-Star Game in New York.
Manager Joe Torre said Sunday that Jonathan Broxton would be the team's closer until further notice. But Torre was unsure who would take over for Broxton as setup man.

Broxton said he's ready for his new role.

"I just look at it like it's the eighth inning. I come out and get outs," Broxton said. "It's no different for me."

Saito, an All-Star last year, had his ninth-inning stint Saturday night against Florida cut short because of tightness in the elbow.

RedsManRick
07-16-2008, 01:30 PM
I wonder if Weathers and/or Affeldt would be on their radar? I think Broxton easily takes the closer role, but they're in need of a setup guy.

RichRed
07-16-2008, 01:34 PM
I wonder if Weathers and/or Affeldt would be on their radar? I think Broxton easily takes the closer role, but they're in need of a setup guy.

Majewski's up to the task.

princeton
07-16-2008, 01:35 PM
Jeff Shaw for a cheap young Paul Konerko

corkedbat
07-16-2008, 01:54 PM
I know he has a no-trade, but if something could be worked out I'd deal Coco (+) for Broxton, Kemp and a prospect.

Don't see that happening, so I'd definitely be on the phone to the Dodgers pitching Weathers, Affeldt and/or Majewski

redsmetz
07-16-2008, 02:22 PM
I clearly think Weathers is a good solution - he's not your classic closer, but he's performed the role and has recent success. Their need gives us, I think, a little better price for him, one would hope.

Jpup
07-16-2008, 06:14 PM
I'd rather have Broxton anyway. The Dodgers need a 3rd baseman. Edwin might draw their interest.

red-in-la
07-16-2008, 06:35 PM
I still want Kemp. I could see the Dodgers going for Weathers and a prospect for Kemp. The question is, would you be willing to send them Burton and a porspect for Kemp?

I would do this since I think the Reds are sellers right now. Roenicke could replace Burton and the Reds would have a nice LF/CF for the post Dunn and JR era.

M2
07-16-2008, 06:37 PM
If you're making a deal with the Dodgers, try to get some Chin-Lung Ho on the menu. He can't hit ML pitching for squat at the moment, but he could be a plus offense-defense SS in another two years.

RedsManRick
07-16-2008, 06:57 PM
If you're making a deal with the Dodgers, try to get some Chin-Lung Ho on the menu. He can't hit ML pitching for squat at the moment, but he could be a plus offense-defense SS in another two years.

I think Keppinger would have to be the bait if you want Hu back. The Dodgers would want a SS they can plug in today and he's the only one we've got. While I like Keppy quite a bit and think he can be a big asset, Keppy and Weathers for Hu and a prospect probably isn't an unreasonable offer.

OnBaseMachine
07-16-2008, 07:14 PM

What he said.

Highlifeman21
07-16-2008, 08:22 PM
Brian Fuentes will soon be wearing Dodger blue.

I doubt the Dodgers have any interest trading with the Reds.

Redhook
07-16-2008, 08:54 PM
I still want Kemp. I could see the Dodgers going for Weathers and a prospect for Kemp. The question is, would you be willing to send them Burton and a porspect for Kemp?

I want Kemp too.

I would give them Weathers, Burton, and a prospect. Kemp could be a cornerstone to the outfield for years to come. The Reds desperately need a right-handed outfield bat. I'd be willing to part with a lot to get him.

red-in-la
07-16-2008, 09:07 PM

I have seen this kid play a little and have NOT been impressed. Seems to me that his very, very top end is Pokey Reese. Just my opinion.....can anybody post his basic history?

red-in-la
07-16-2008, 09:14 PM
Brian Fuentes will soon be wearing Dodger blue.

I doubt the Dodgers have any interest trading with the Reds.

I seriously doubt Fuentes would go to the Dodgers.....wouldn't the Rockies see themselves now right where they were last year? 8.5 back of the division lead (especially when the leader is under .500) is not the time to trade teams in front of you just what they need.

Benihana
07-16-2008, 09:55 PM

I would do this since I think the Reds are sellers right now. Roenicke could replace Burton and the Reds would have a nice LF/CF for the post Dunn and JR era.

In a heartbeat. If LA would do this I'd be shocked (and delighted.) If they'd even consider doing it for Weathers and a prospect, I'd dance a jig. Maybe we could even try to buy low on Andy LaRoche?

Highlifeman21
07-16-2008, 10:06 PM
I want Kemp too.

I would give them Weathers, Burton, and a prospect. Kemp could be a cornerstone to the outfield for years to come. The Reds desperately need a right-handed outfield bat. I'd be willing to part with a lot to get him.

Weathers, Stubbs, and find another warm body for Kemp.

Unfortunately, it'll never happen. For the Reds to get Kemp, it'll take Adam Dunn, and I'm just not ready to take that leap of faith that Kemp will replace and duplicate Dunn's offensive production.

Highlifeman21
07-16-2008, 10:16 PM
I seriously doubt Fuentes would go to the Dodgers.....wouldn't the Rockies see themselves now right where they were last year? 8.5 back of the division lead (especially when the leader is under .500) is not the time to trade teams in front of you just what they need.

Fuentes is on the market, the Dodgers need another top end bullpen arm. Sure, I can't imagine the Rockies want to see Fuentes go to help a division rival, but they got to the World Series last year with smoke and mirrors. I can't imagine they're going to move Holliday, so they'll need to start putting other bodies around him. Moving Fuentes will help that process.

edabbs44
07-16-2008, 10:33 PM
Thought this was interesting from Olney's chat yesterday:

Bill (GA): Do you see the Dodgers as suitors for Teixeira? If so, what do you think the Braves can get back?

Buster Olney: Bill: Other teams find the Dodgers incredibly difficult to trade with; GMs with other teams say they're never really sure who's available and who's not available. But if they agree to put Matt Kemp in the trade and the Braves actually put Teixeira out there, I'm sure Atlanta would listen -- folks with other teams love Kemp's talent.

Paul (Albany, OR): As a Dodger fan I would HATE it if they let go of Kemp. As a baseball guy, in your opinion, why would they include Kemp in any deal? Thanks.

Buster Olney: Paul: There are some in the organization who are less than thrilled with his evolution as a hitter.

J (Oregon): Less than thrilled with the evolution as a hitter? For a 23 year old who has a 102 OPS+?

Buster Olney: J: I'm just the messenger on that... I'd keep him if I were the Dodgers.

red-in-la
07-17-2008, 12:33 AM
Weathers, Stubbs, and find another warm body for Kemp.

Unfortunately, it'll never happen. For the Reds to get Kemp, it'll take Adam Dunn, and I'm just not ready to take that leap of faith that Kemp will replace and duplicate Dunn's offensive production.

Actually, that is a great point, and I would move Adam Dunn in that deal in a NY minute. Dunn is gone by JUly 31 IF the Reds can find a taker and he is gone at the end of the season in any case. That is exactly why picking up a guy like Matt Kemp would be quite a coup.:thumbup:

Rojo
07-17-2008, 01:48 AM
Kemp has regressed this year, but it doesn't deter me. Too bad Gonzo's hurt, that might a gotten a deal done.

Benihana
07-17-2008, 05:59 PM
If there is any truth to these rumors, I can't imagine we couldn't get a deal done. We have exactly what they want and need. I would give them their choice of any one player from Group A along with any one player from Group B. Surely that would suit their needs, and force them to consider giving up Kemp (if in fact they are truly thinking about it.)

GROUP A
Adam Dunn
Jeff Keppinger
Jared Burton
Todd Frazier
Homer Bailey

GROUP B
David Weathers
Drew Stubbs
Gary Majewski

M2
07-17-2008, 06:20 PM
I have seen this kid play a little and have NOT been impressed. Seems to me that his very, very top end is Pokey Reese. Just my opinion.....can anybody post his basic history?

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/H/Chin-lung-Hu.shtml

He's no sure thing (and he's been completely over his head in the majors this season), but he'd improve the Reds' future SS situation 1,000%.

Highlifeman21
07-17-2008, 07:51 PM
If there is any truth to these rumors, I can't imagine we couldn't get a deal done. We have exactly what they want and need. I would give them their choice of any one player from Group A along with any one player from Group B. Surely that would suit their needs, and force them to consider giving up Kemp (if in fact they are truly thinking about it.)

GROUP A
Adam Dunn
Jeff Keppinger
Jared Burton
Todd Frazier
Homer Bailey

GROUP B
David Weathers
Drew Stubbs
Gary Majewski

There's a lot of disparity between each player in the 2 groups. Thankfully, you've ordered them by value per group.

I'm not convinced Bailey and Stubbs gets us Kemp, however.

Benihana
07-17-2008, 07:59 PM
There's a lot of disparity between each player in the 2 groups. Thankfully, you've ordered them by value per group.

I'm not convinced Bailey and Stubbs gets us Kemp, however.

True, but who knows- as red-in-la speculated, maybe Bailey + Weathers or Frazier + Weathers might.

Highlifeman21
07-17-2008, 08:08 PM
True, but who knows- as red-in-la speculated, maybe Bailey + Weathers or Frazier + Weathers might.

Whatever rids us of Stubbs and Bailey and gets some actual talent on the roster is a step in the right direction, for once.

Jpup
07-17-2008, 11:09 PM
Whatever rids us of Stubbs and Bailey and gets some actual talent on the roster is a step in the right direction, for once.

Homer looked pretty good in Milwaukee. You have to hope he may have started to turn the corner. He is still very young.

*BaseClogger*
07-17-2008, 11:33 PM
Brad Penny is a darkhorse for Saves...

schroomytunes
07-19-2008, 12:07 AM
If I'm Jocketty I'm calling LA and offering them this deal ASAP!

Reds trade: David Weathers and David Ross

Dodgers trade: Justin Orenduff(RHSP) (AAA) 25yrs old
Lucas May(RHCatcher) (AA) 24 yrs old