PDA

View Full Version : USA Part Deux

bounty37h
07-17-2008, 05:33 PM
Hi all-
I had posted a few weeks ago about the USA collegiate team asking about players, and got some great reponses from some of you that know more about minor leaguers or future prospects. Thanks for your help with that, I had a blast at those games, and enjoyed seeing those players. I now have GREAT seats for the USA Olympic series in Durham before they head to Beijing, and wanted to get opinions of the team, who to keep an eye on, who to grab an auto from if I can, neat stories, etc about any of those guys. I thought Valaika (sp?) was on the team, but he is not on the new roster released yesterday (23 of 24 members named, one spot stil to fill). Thanks for any help or info passed along!

dougdirt
07-17-2008, 05:38 PM
Valaika was still in the running until the final roster came out.

redsmetz
07-17-2008, 05:44 PM
From the AP, here's the roster

Brett Anderson, LHP, Midland (Texas)

Jake Arrieta, RHP, Frederick (Carolina)

Brian Barden, INF, Memphis (PCL)

Matthew Brown, INF, Salt Lake City (PCL)

Trevor Cahill, RHP, Midland (Texas)

Jason Donald, INF, Reading (EL)

Geno Espineli, LHP, Fresno (PCL)

Dexter Fowler, OF, Tulsa (Texas)

John Gall, OF, Albuquerque (PCL)

Mike Hessman, INF, Toledo (IL)

Kevin Jepsen, RHP, Salt Lake City (PCL)

Brandon Knight, RHP, New Orleans (PCL)

Mike Koplove, RHP, Las Vegas (PCL)

Matthew LaPorta, OF, Akron (EL)

Louis Marson, C, Reading (EL)

Blaine Neal, RHP, Toledo (IL)

Colby Rasmus, OF, Memphis (PCL)

Clayton Richard, LHP, Charlotte (IL)

Jeff Stevens, RHP, Buffalo (IL)

Stephen Strasburg, RHP, San Diego State

Taylor Teagarden, C, Oklahoma (PCL)

Terry Tiffee, INF, Las Vegas (PCL)

Casey Weathers, RHP, Tulsa (PCL)

redsmetz
07-17-2008, 05:44 PM
Has anyone heard whether any of our scouts will be attended the Olympic games?

bounty37h
07-18-2008, 11:34 AM
K, back to the original question, which of these guys are the ones to watch and keep an eye on? I know a lil about Anderson, Rasmus, Teagarden, Strasburg (from this years USA Collegiate team), and Laporta, what about the other guys?

dougdirt
07-18-2008, 12:07 PM
Trevor Cahill is a real good prospect, Dexter Fowler, casey Weathers and personally I like Jeff Stevens (he is the kid we traded for Brandon Phhillips). Steven isn't a big time prospect since he is a reliever, but he is nasty. Jason Donald is a solid prospect.

bounty37h
07-21-2008, 01:20 PM
Thanks Doug! I saw that Teagarden has been called up to TX, guess he wont be on the squad now either.