PDA

View Full Version : Freel to Have Surgery

mth123
07-18-2008, 09:49 PM
Per The Enquirer via Rotoworld

Ryan Freel will have surgery Wednesday to repair the torn distal hamstring tendon behind his right knee.

The Reds aren't providing a timetable for his return, but if he does make it back, it will likely be to assume a limited role in September. This is another one of former GM Wayne Krivsky's multiyear deals that hasn't worked out at all. Last April, Freel was given a two-year, $7 million extension through 2009.

So much for being able to dump his contract.

Joseph
07-18-2008, 10:16 PM
Might as well do Hairston while they have the tools out, cause the injuries looked really similar to me.

WVRedsFan
07-19-2008, 02:17 AM
I can't figure out the number of hamstring injuries this team has. You all know Griffey's story (sorry, George), but it seems that with Freel and Hairston, it's the same thing. both seemed to be doing nothing so radical as to injure something so bad and yet they were. these guys must be fragile.

We've probably seen the last of Freel this year and Hairston may come back if we're lucky, but the truth is an often injured player is likely to stay that way. All the more unwise to give the player an extended cntract. Something our former GM couldn't resist. Pray that we can send Freel anywhere and bid Jerry goodbye at the end of the season. Wish them both well and concentrate on youth.

I cannot believe that some want to re-sign Hairston, but then that's just me. When the Freel extension came up I felt the same way. Please say no.

Highlifeman21
07-19-2008, 10:38 AM
This isn't a surgery to remove Farney from Freel?

RedsManRick
07-19-2008, 10:41 AM

A farnectomy?

cincrazy
07-19-2008, 10:47 AM
I can't figure out the number of hamstring injuries this team has. You all know Griffey's story (sorry, George), but it seems that with Freel and Hairston, it's the same thing. both seemed to be doing nothing so radical as to injure something so bad and yet they were. these guys must be fragile.

We've probably seen the last of Freel this year and Hairston may come back if we're lucky, but the truth is an often injured player is likely to stay that way. All the more unwise to give the player an extended cntract. Something our former GM couldn't resist. Pray that we can send Freel anywhere and bid Jerry goodbye at the end of the season. Wish them both well and concentrate on youth.

I cannot believe that some want to re-sign Hairston, but then that's just me. When the Freel extension came up I felt the same way. Please say no.

I don't think it's unreasonable to want Hairston signed to a reasonable deal. He's been as important to this team as anyone this year. Is he going to duplicate it? Maybe not. But that doesn't mean he can't be productive again. His health is a major concerned, and if they're not convinced he can stay on the field, then he shouldn't be signed. But it should at least be heavily explored.

Spring~Fields
07-19-2008, 11:51 AM
A farnectomy?

:lol:

I was hoping that Dr. Walt was going to do that. While doing an implant of dynamic OBP/SLG parts ;)

Big Klu
07-19-2008, 12:51 PM

A farnectomy?

:lol:

I was hoping that Dr. Walt was going to do that. While doing an implant of dynamic OBP/SLG parts ;)

We can rebuild him...we have the technology. We can make him better than he was--better, stronger, faster.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b7/Sixmilliondollar1.jpg

KronoRed
07-19-2008, 02:26 PM
Make Freel pay for it ;)

MrCinatit
07-19-2008, 03:06 PM
Is this the last year of his contract, or do the Reds also have him next year?

Big Klu
07-19-2008, 03:46 PM
Is this the last year of his contract, or do the Reds also have him next year?

Freel is signed for $3 million this year, and $4 million in 2009.