PDA

View Full Version : Josh Fogg

HumnHilghtFreel
07-19-2008, 09:42 PM
I missed a majority of the game since I saw it was delayed and went to do something else. But what I did catch, I saw Josh Fogg working out of trouble in a couple innings to get himself a quality start. That's 2 and .2 innings away from 3 quality starts for him since he's been back with the team.

Was it really just an injury problem making him so "Fogg-like" or is he just getting BABIP lucky?

RedlegJake
07-19-2008, 10:47 PM
Fogg is always going to need spot command and a little bit of luck but he isn't, imo, as bad a pitcher as he showed early on. Tonight he got a couple of saving DP balls - call it luck or call it good pitching. He also got a great defensive play from Phillips that saved him a run but that was payback for the one the defense gave up in the first that shouldn't have been on him.

toledodan
07-19-2008, 11:13 PM
got to give him credit! fogg has kept us in the game since returning from the DL. is he a long term answer? no, but he can allow some other prospects a little more time to develope down in the minors.

LoganBuck
07-19-2008, 11:20 PM
This is the Josh Fogg that I think most envisioned. A guy who skates on very thin ice, and can hold the fort until reinforcements arrive. He has been an eyelash away from disaster, but has come through. He is a number 5 starter.

RedsManRick
07-19-2008, 11:27 PM
Don't walk people and don't give up homers and you can be a pretty effective #5 starter.

edabbs44
07-19-2008, 11:33 PM
RZers have short memories sometimes. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that there are threads that are the exact opposite of this one within the next few weeks.

Ron Madden
07-20-2008, 12:46 AM
Fogg is always going to need spot command and a little bit of luck but he isn't, imo, as bad a pitcher as he showed early on. Tonight he got a couple of saving DP balls - call it luck or call it good pitching. He also got a great defensive play from Phillips that saved him a run but that was payback for the one the defense gave up in the first that shouldn't have been on him.

I'm glad Josh Fogg was able to keep the Reds in the game.

I thought the one the defense gave up in the first was Foggs fault.

Fogg could of and should have made that play IMHO.

marcshoe
07-20-2008, 12:50 AM
If there's somebody out there who looks at these last couple of games, remembers that he pitched in a World Series last year, and decides he has some value, trade him fast! Don't let a half-second of silence fall between the trade proposal and the word "yes!"

RedlegJake
07-20-2008, 12:51 AM
RZers have short memories sometimes. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that there are threads that are the exact opposite of this one within the next few weeks.

I don't think so, actually. Fogg ISN'T as bad as his early showing. I know he'll have some stinker starts - guys like him live on command and luck and losing either one derails them. He's a mediocre pitcher and average 5th starter.

I'm glad Josh Fogg was able to keep the Reds in the game.

I thought the one the defense gave up in the first was Foggs fault.

Fogg could of and should have made that play IMHO.

It WAS Josh's fault but it still wasn't his pitching. And Joey has to learn to lob the ball, too, although I agree Fogg should have caught it.

Reds1
07-20-2008, 01:10 AM
great job! Who would have ever thought he would be important this year, but with the reds making a last run before the trade deadline.

Chip R
07-20-2008, 09:14 AM
It WAS Josh's fault but it still wasn't his pitching. And Joey has to learn to lob the ball, too, although I agree Fogg should have caught it.

Votto almost messed up that last out in the 9th on a similar play. Was he still in Canada when they went over PFP in ST?

lollipopcurve
07-20-2008, 10:04 AM
He's a mediocre pitcher and average 5th starter.

Something the team hasn't had for many years.

mth123
07-20-2008, 10:09 AM
Something the team hasn't had for many years.

They've had slightly worse in the number 1 spot much of the time. I think Fogg has some trade value.

WebScorpion
07-20-2008, 12:53 PM
He should be able to get 2 more starts in before the non-waiver trading deadline. If he can keep this up we might get a real prospect (at least someone not in their 30's) for him. :thumbup:

IslandRed
07-20-2008, 01:04 PM
Agree with most of the posts. Fogg has a long history of being just good enough to not be kicked out of the rotation, and that has some value, considering how frequently guys are kicked out of rotations. That's what I thought we were getting, but the Fogg of the season's first two months wasn't good enough to stay in anyone's rotation. Maybe it was a health issue, not sure, but if he's back to his normal self, that's good for us. Even if it doesn't make him a valuable trading chip, there's something to be said for fans not passing up trips to the ballpark on the days he's pitching. :cool: