PDA

View Full Version : Reds have no excuses when you look at the next 37 games

George Foster
07-20-2008, 12:22 AM
Out of the next 37 games, the Reds play only 10 games against good teams. Sundays game against the Mets and 6 games in August against the Cubs and St. Louis.

27 games are against pretty bad teams. Rockies, Nationals, Giants, Astros(9 games), Padres, and Pirates.

The Reds have not played against sub-.500 teams that well this year, but that has got to change over the next 5 weeks.

They should go 5-5 against the Mets, Cubs and Cards, and go AT least 18-9 against the sub-.500 teams and be 6 games over .500 going into September, no excuses.

For all of you thinking we have a chance at the wild-card, think again. It would take a perfect storm of the Marlins, Phillies, Mets, Cards, and Brewers backing up for the Reds to have a chance. I don't see all of those teams going bad at the same time.

Our chance in August also depends on if this team stays pat, or sells. My opinion is they will only try and trade Arroyo. Dunn will be lost as a free agent, giving the Reds draft picks, and Griffey will ride off into the sun set.

RedsFanInBama
07-20-2008, 02:14 AM
18-9? That would be a good record for the Chicago Cubs, even against those clubs. They are major leaguers, after all. It will take a totally different Reds club to be able to do that. I'd love to see us get to .500 on this home stand. We'll need to go 5-2 over the next seven to do that before we hit the road again. If we come back home still at .500 or better, then I'll start thinking this club has turned the corner. But not a second before.

schmidty622
07-20-2008, 08:03 AM
How bout we just start with a win today? Having Volquez on the mound with a good amount of rest, I think we have a reasonably good chance.

Take 3 out 4 from the mets and we've made some considerable progress.

Old NDN
07-20-2008, 08:26 AM
That's realy being optimistic. I'm sure those teams are looking at the Reds on their schedule and thinking the same thing. As for Arroyo, with the injuries and inconsistency of some of the pitchers, I don't see letting him go, unless somebody REALLY overpays for him. There's just not anything in the pipeline ready to replace him.

ChatterRed
07-20-2008, 08:38 AM
Strangely enough, Arroyo has been one of our better starters in his last 3 or 4 outings. One of the things I do like about Arroyo, is he gives you innings, when he's on.

According to mlbtraderumors.com, with the Reds depleted outfield corps, the Reds are hesitant to trade Dunn. So I think you are correct in that they'll just let him walk at the end of the season. I think Jim Bowden is interested in Dunn. Look for the Nats to try and sign him.

I honestly don't look for anyone to be traded. I think management is going to be encouraged by the overall play of the team. I also think nobody is interested in Junior and Dunn, atleast enough to give much of anything for them. I think Arroyo's hefty contract has made other teams afraid of taking him on.

I agree with the thread starter, everyone will be here next year but Dunn and Griffey.

Griffey012
07-20-2008, 12:16 PM
IF Harang comes back to his old form once he is off the DL, and Arroyo keeps pitching like his 2006 form, we have 3 very good starters and 1 solid/good starter in Cueto. Today marks our 100th game. Including today if we play .600 ball on out we go about 38-25. Take the latter, that puts us 86-76. If the Cardinals play .500 ball the rest of the way they will be about 87-75. Those teams don't necassarily have to tank it, they just have to play a bit worse than what they are. And let's be honest none of those teams look stellar.

We can at least be optimistic and excited about the remaining games this season. So let's start with a W today.

adampad
07-20-2008, 12:51 PM
We all know realistically the chances are slim. We all know crazier things have happened. We all know we will watch no matter what. We all like an underdog. We all know the Bengals are going to suck. We all wish we could change most of these facts.

reds1869
07-20-2008, 01:16 PM
Anything is possible. Until the final nail is in the coffin there is a chance; last year's NL East race proved that in the most dramatic possible fashion.

Griffey012
07-20-2008, 01:24 PM
Anything is possible. Until the final nail is in the coffin there is a chance; last year's NL East race proved that in the most dramatic possible fashion.

And the rockies

Ghosts of 1990
07-20-2008, 01:43 PM
going to be tough because we're still a few arms away

Griffey012
07-20-2008, 01:55 PM
going to be tough because we're still a few arms away

It'll for sure be tough and pretty unlikely, but it's not as completely as unrealistic as everyone made it seem after Coco's meltdown. That's all I was really trying to get at.

kentjett
07-20-2008, 03:12 PM
We're are starting to get to the point where the team is starting to look like a team. We are starting to get respect around the league and I'm more optimistic about this squad moving forward than I've been in a long time. We actually have a good up and coming team w/ a good mix of pitching, offense and prospects coming up. Our defensive is a little weak but the could be vastly improved w/ a couple additions by subtractions.

AFalcon10
07-21-2008, 12:17 AM
The team has come on strong and shown some gut the last few weeks. I think we are still a few years away in the long run but watching our young players grow and learn is sure worthwhile. Weak schedule lines up nice.. lets see if we can make a run at things... Trade deadlines only 10 days away though so im curious to see what happens with Arroyo Dunn Griffey