PDA

View Full Version : Ray Durham traded to Milwaukee

Brutus
07-20-2008, 02:56 PM
According to the San Francisco Chronicle, as reported by ESPN, Ray Durham has been traded to Milwaukee for two B-level prospects.

Kudos to the Brewers for this trade. Durham is batting .293 and has an on-base percentage of .385 this season. It likely means he's going to push Rickie Weeks (.218) for playing time.

Durham at the top of the order, instead of weeks, would be a boost to their lineup. It's cool to see Milwaukee get serious about this, however.

TC81190
07-20-2008, 02:57 PM
I'd like to get Weeks for cheap, if for no other reason than to throw him out there and see if he sticks.

Brutus
07-20-2008, 03:17 PM
I'd like to get Weeks for cheap, if for no other reason than to throw him out there and see if he sticks.

I tend to think he'll be a breakout candidate next year - either for the Brewers or someone else.

While his average, originally thought to be a plus category when coming up through the system, has fluctuated below .250 most of his career, each of the past three seasons his on-base percentage and slugging percentage have consistently risen each year.

I assumed, then, he would be in line for a good year this year. But now his OBP is at .322 and he's only slugging .367. So we'll see.

TC81190
07-20-2008, 03:18 PM
I tend to think he'll be a breakout candidate next year - either for the Brewers or someone else.

While his average, originally thought to be a plus category when coming up through the system, has fluctuated below .250 most of his career, each of the past three seasons his on-base percentage and slugging percentage have consistently risen each year.

I assumed, then, he would be in line for a good year this year. But now his OBP is at .322 and he's only slugging .367. So we'll see.
Brandon Phillips II?

ChatterRed
07-20-2008, 03:53 PM
I don't think he will ever be as good as BP.

I want nothing to do with Weeks.

I do enjoy seeing the Brewers going for it, but it sure makes you think they are desperate and that they think it's possibly their last chance since Sheets is most likely going to walk, Fielder is most likely going to walk, and Sabathia is rumored to want to go West.

I also enjoy seeing them mortgage their farm system.

Brutus
07-20-2008, 04:03 PM
I don't think he will ever be as good as BP.

I want nothing to do with Weeks.

I do enjoy seeing the Brewers going for it, but it sure makes you think they are desperate and that they think it's possibly their last chance since Sheets is most likely going to walk, Fielder is most likely going to walk, and Sabathia is rumored to want to go West.

I also enjoy seeing them mortgage their farm system.

I don't think Fielder is a free agent, so he wouldn't be able to walk. I know there's been some talk of the Brewers trading him though, so he may very well be gone anyhow.

07-20-2008, 04:16 PM
Durham is a solid addition, but they really need to get a few more bullpen arms, especially a closer. They may be able to get to the playoffs with Torres as the closer, but no way they go far in the playoffs with him. And I really don't see them getting to the playoffs with the bullpen they have now.

To me it seems like they are spending resources on making a car with faulty brakes, go faster.

Newman4
07-20-2008, 04:24 PM
Where would Weeks play on the Reds?

Edd Roush
07-20-2008, 04:57 PM
First off, I don't think this signals the end of Weeks' stay with the Brewers. But if the Brewers are actively shopping him, I wouldn't mind gauging what kind of price they are looking for. Weeks could compete for time with Freel/Hairston for the opening in CF/RF next year. He certainly has the most upside of that crew and it would be a pretty low pressure situation for him to be in. That being said, the Brewers aren't likely to see Brandon Phillips Part Deux within the division. If they are only looking for a B or C level prospect, they can likely get that elsewhere.

schmidty622
07-20-2008, 06:32 PM
I really like what the Brewers are doing, even if it will only last a year.

Ghosts of 1990
07-20-2008, 11:19 PM
He's nothing. I don't know why this is news.

AFalcon10
07-21-2008, 01:15 AM

He does provide a .293 average and veteran leadership to a very young team.. but this is getting more news than i thought.

TC81190
07-21-2008, 01:38 AM
Without looking, he's either close to matching or out OPSing our current 2B. I wouldn't call that nothing.

AFalcon10
07-21-2008, 01:56 AM
Without looking, he's either close to matching or out OPSing our current 2B. I wouldn't call that nothing.

and if for some crazy reason there was still any doubt whether Milwaukee ownership wanted to win NOW.. those are definitely answered