PDA

View Full Version : More love for Edwin...

Kingspoint
07-21-2008, 08:08 PM
On the espn website you can pick and choose parameters for stats.

I picked from June 1st of last year to now for National League 3rd Baseman with 400 or more at-bats.

Edwin has 672 at-bats and has the 5th-best OPS among 3rd Baseman.

Pretty darn good for a guy who's the same age as Joey Votto.

LouisvilleCARDS
07-21-2008, 08:23 PM
I wonder why these great offensive guys are terrible on defense though? At least in Cincinnati.

HalMorrisRules
07-21-2008, 08:29 PM
I wonder why these great offensive guys are terrible on defense though? At least in Cincinnati.

:rolleyes:

He got it!
07-22-2008, 04:22 PM
Never been a big Edwin fan - hard to argue with what he has done at the plate lately however. He is a streaky hitter and right now he is white hot. He is clearly a dead pull hitter and is doing a great job laying off of those pitches off the outside corner and taking more walks. Earlier in the year he would swing and pop up those pitches off the outside corner. Hopefully he can keep it up. It definately makes our lineup that much better when he is swinging a hot bat behind Dunn.

Root Down
07-22-2008, 04:49 PM

Edwin will only get better with age, don't forget he's only 25.

HeatherC1212
07-22-2008, 04:56 PM
That's great for Edwin. :)

Its so easy to forget how young this team really is. Are Bako/Ross and Junior really the only 'regulars' (position players) who are over the age of thirty?! That's insane but it does give me hope for the future. Craziness in the here and now but still hope for the long term, LOL :laugh: :eek:

bw87a
07-22-2008, 10:53 PM
edwin and his crazy offensive streaks. i really hope the reds hang on to him for a while; i'm interested in seeing how he turns out.

dmoe
07-22-2008, 11:10 PM
i'm feeling some serious love for edwin. i really, really hope we keep him for a while. he's going to be exciting. :thumbup:

TheBigLebowski
07-22-2008, 11:20 PM
On the espn website you can pick and choose parameters for stats.

I picked from June 1st of last year to now for National League 3rd Baseman with 400 or more at-bats.

Edwin has 672 at-bats and has the 5th-best OPS among 3rd Baseman.

Pretty darn good for a guy who's the same age as Joey Votto.

Votto's basically a year younger but I'm picking at nits.

I am very excited about both guys.

Jack Burton
07-22-2008, 11:26 PM
He just has to get better on the routine play at 3rd for to want to keep him around.

Noosh
07-22-2008, 11:52 PM
I sway back and forth on Edwin so much. After his error on the seemingly routine double play to lose the game to the Mets I said to myself that I'm finally giving up on him, but geez he looked good tonight - working a couple of counts for walks and a nice defensive play.

AccordinglyReds
07-23-2008, 12:14 AM
Reds FO, don't give up on Edwin...

These last few weeks, you can really tell EE is in the zone. Working the count, laying off the breaking balls that he'd usually chase directly relates to his success at the plate right now. It's just a totally different when he steps in the box right now because it seems he's seeing the ball very well.

Keep it up, Edwin! :)

ChatterRed
07-23-2008, 01:08 AM
EE is a July-August hitter. Keep him. He's the new Mr. Clutch.

Seriously, I'm seeing alot of fire in these young guys. Give them next year or the following year and we will have a firy bunch of players.

UC_Ken
07-23-2008, 10:17 AM
I've been really impressed with his ability to get behind in the count yet continue to still make the pitcher work. Many times he's able to draw a walk or a full count after being down 1-2. Not to name names but most of our guys when they get in a hole can't dig themselves out of it.

muethibp
07-23-2008, 12:11 PM
I've been really impressed with his ability to get behind in the count yet continue to still make the pitcher work. Many times he's able to draw a walk or a full count after being down 1-2. Not to name names but most of our guys when they get in a hole can't dig themselves out of it.

He did just that in the big inning last night, drawing a walk after being down 0-2.

AFalcon10
07-23-2008, 04:17 PM
Love Edwins bat. Want to see him moved to a corner outfield next year with the departure of Dunn and/or Griffey.. moving Kepp to third and having short for Hairston and/or Gonzalez depending on how things shape out. But definately want to see Edwin in a reds uni for a very very long time. Growing leaps and bounds. Just dont see him lasting at 3rd.

REDSEER
07-23-2008, 04:28 PM
The problem is that I'm not sure EdE has the mobility to play a corner outfield spot. Maybe it's just me, but I could definitely see Votto playing the outfield. Edwin, not so much. Votto to OF, EE to 1B?

EE shows flashes of a very serviceable third baseman at times. I wouldn't give up on him yet.

AFalcon10
07-23-2008, 04:45 PM
The problem is that I'm not sure EdE has the mobility to play a corner outfield spot. Maybe it's just me, but I could definitely see Votto playing the outfield. Edwin, not so much. Votto to OF, EE to 1B?

EE shows flashes of a very serviceable third baseman at times. I wouldn't give up on him yet.

Yeah, maybe. I just dont think moving EE to a position that fits him better, whether it be OF or 1b (I personaly think he can handle a corner outfield fine) is necessarily giving up on him. We need to improve our defense and put the best team we can out there. His bat is a asset in our lineup but his glove at third is a liability and will be next year as well.

ChatterRed
07-23-2008, 05:30 PM
I am one that loves EE. He will reach career highs in homers this year, and his average continues to climb. I also see alot of fire and competitiveness in EE. I like that. I think he is young and will continue to get better. He already has.

REDSEER
07-23-2008, 09:58 PM
Yeah, maybe. I just dont think moving EE to a position that fits him better, whether it be OF or 1b (I personaly think he can handle a corner outfield fine) is necessarily giving up on him. We need to improve our defense and put the best team we can out there. His bat is a asset in our lineup but his glove at third is a liability and will be next year as well.

Absolutely....by give up I didn't mean on his bat....at this point I don't think there would be any fan that would dismiss his bat. But it just seems like every time I get the chance to watch the Reds on TV, EE makes a great play....seems like its the routine plays that he struggles with....I think once Edwin gets the mental aspect of the game down...he could be a good 3B...but if he doesn't improve, then we definitely should move him to first.

improbus
07-25-2008, 01:49 PM
How is he going to be better when he has to adjust to playing a new position? That is not easy to do. I love how we always try to move players around the park to improve the team.
Kepp to 3rd
Dunn to 1st (before Votto)
Votto to LF
EE to LF
Haven't we learned from seeing the Chipper Jones experiment in LF? Moving players does not only affect their defense, but also their hitting.

Griffey012
07-25-2008, 02:00 PM
On defense with Edwin I think of a young Adrian Beltre, who showed flashes but struggled early on. He eventually turned into a gold glover.

improbus
07-25-2008, 02:08 PM
I don't know about Gold Glover. Currently, Edwin's Career Fielding Percentage is ranked 1169th among Career Active Leaders (including pitchers). And from what I can see, he is the lowest ranked every day player in MLB. The only people surrounding him are spot players and pitchers. Also, his 2008 Fielding Percentage is acutally down from his career numbers. So, he is actually worse than the worst everyday defensive player in MLB.

Kingspoint
07-28-2008, 10:31 PM
Tough week for Edwin. He's 2 for his last 22.