PDA

View Full Version : Fogg Hurt?

Joseph
07-22-2008, 05:24 PM
Reds pitcher Josh Fogg was taken off the field during batting practice when he was hit in the face by a ball hit by Joey Votto.

Anyone know anything more than this?

Matt700wlw
07-22-2008, 05:30 PM
No, but imagine he isn't feeling too good right now

RichRed
07-22-2008, 05:32 PM
Votto's taking it out on the wrong guy for not being in the starting lineup tonight. ;)

Joseph
07-22-2008, 05:34 PM
I can not condone Red on Red violence :)

Hope Fogg is ok. He's been pitching pretty well lately.

WVRedsFan
07-22-2008, 05:43 PM
From Fay's blog:

Josh Fogg took a line drive to the face during batting practice. He walked off the field. But the ball -- hit by Joey Votto -- split open Fogg's lip. He was taken to Beacon Orthopedic to be stitched up.

Fogg is scheduled to start Friday. With the off day, Edinson Volquez could step in on regular rest. The two top prospects at Louisville, Daryl Thompson and Matt Maloney, are both on the DL.

Since when were Thompson and Maloney put on the DL?

Reds Fanatic
07-22-2008, 06:59 PM
From Fay's blog:

Since when were Thompson and Maloney put on the DL?
Thompson it was reported yesterday had been put on the DL with shoulder trouble. I am not sure about Maloney.

klw
07-22-2008, 08:41 PM
30 stitches
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8369572/Reds'-Fogg-hit-in-mouth-during-batting-practice

Highlifeman21
07-22-2008, 10:20 PM
30 stitches
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8369572/Reds'-Fogg-hit-in-mouth-during-batting-practice

That's a lot of stitches in the lip area.

While I think Fogg is garbage as a pitcher, I hope he's ok and makes a full recovery.

Joseph
07-22-2008, 10:32 PM
Will they skip him, or is this an injury her can pitch through?

Raisor
07-22-2008, 10:53 PM
If Fogg was a hockey player, he would have played tonight, his turn in the rotation or not.

Reds1
07-22-2008, 11:02 PM
We were just talking about how we were surprised no one ever gets hurt in BP. People walk around without looking. Fogg can't catch a break. He's pitching well right now and we actually need him. He might be able to go, but 30 is a lot. He will still be sore in a couple days. Be interesting. I bet he starts.

WVRedsFan
07-22-2008, 11:10 PM
Fogg seems like a nice guy regardless of how he pitches. Always smiling and I'd bet he's a good teammate. My guess is he'll attempt to start when his turn comes. He might not be the best pitcher, but I'd bet he'll be out there.

Big Klu
07-22-2008, 11:46 PM
With the off day on Thursday, the Reds can skip Fogg and still have everyone on regular rest. I think Volquez will pitch on Friday.

WVRedsFan
07-23-2008, 12:08 AM
With the off day on Thursday, the Reds can skip Fogg and still have everyone on regular rest. I think Volquez will pitch on Friday.

Maybe. I'm just waiting for the posts that say he's a slacker because he didn't pitch on his designated day.

It might be wise to skip him for once, I don't know. I just know that the way Fogg has been pitching (along with Cueto, Arroyo, Volquez, etc.) has lessened the blow that the loss of Harang could have been.

klw
07-23-2008, 08:20 AM
Fogg will suddenly feel the urge to hit into double plays and be chatty with runners on first.

Spitball
07-23-2008, 09:27 AM
Coming on the one year mark of Mike Coolbaugh's death, it shows how dangerous a ball field can be when baseballs are flying through the air.

Guys who spend a lifetime on the field probably duck hundreds of random balls hit off bats as well as errant throws. Sometimes they are not so lucky. I know I've made a fool of myself many times while ducking and flinching from low flying bird shadows.

One time, we were trying to work an outfielder out at second base due to injuries. I was hitting infield and assumed the guy knew the routine. After botching a grounder, I assumed he would go ahead and complete his throw to the first baseman. He was upset with himself and fired the ball in the general direction of the catcher. The "general direction" turned out to be the side of my head. I never went down but was unconscious on my feet for a period because the catcher was suddenly standing in front of me asking me if I was alright. I had a pretty large knot on my head and no intention of ever letting that guy near infield again.

fearofpopvol1
07-23-2008, 09:43 AM
I'd prefer Volquez get the extra day of rest. I think he could use it. With Maloney and Thompson on the DL though, seems like the Reds are in a tough spot.

Reds Fanatic
07-23-2008, 11:13 AM
Here is an update on Fogg from John Fay along with an update on Harang:

ON FOGG: Josh Fogg's start has been moved back two days. Edinson Volquez will start Friday, Homer Bailey Saturday and Fogg Sunday.

Fogg looks a little rough after taking a ball off the face. "I could probably go Friday," he said. "No broken bones. But it's still bleeding."

"He looks like Mike Tyson got him," Dusty Baker said.

The Reds were hoping to give Volquez and the rest of the rotation an extra day of rest with tomorrow's off day. "Fogg isn't bad enough to DL," Baker said.

Someone left Fogg a black t-shirt with "Sorry . . . about your face" on it.

ON HARANG: I saw Aaron Harang for the first time in a couple of days. He said he's taking it step-by-step and he's not even sure of what the steps are.

"I've got to build arm strength," he said. "I didn't throw at all in the 10 days."

He said he was a little tentative when he started throwing yesterday, but by the end of session, he was letting it go. He felt no ill effects today.

Matt700wlw
07-23-2008, 11:19 AM
Updated rotation:

Friday, RHP Edinson Volquez

Saturday, RHP Homer Bailey

Sunday, TBA

Kc61
07-23-2008, 11:31 AM
Updated rotation:

Friday, RHP Edinson Volquez

Saturday, RHP Homer Bailey

Sunday, TBA

Hopefully Fogg can go Sunday. I'd like to see Cueto get the extra day of rest.

lollipopcurve
07-23-2008, 11:50 AM
From Fay's blog:

The Reds were hoping to give Volquez and the rest of the rotation an extra day of rest with tomorrow's off day. "Fogg isn't bad enough to DL," Baker said.

So, per usual, two of our young starters are denied the extra day's rest because the staff has no long/swing guy who can make spot starts -- nor, for some reason, is there a willingness to work a AAA shuttle for a couple weeks while Fogg would be DL'd. I don't get it folks -- they're riding these guys like they've thrown 200 innings seasons in the bigs already.

Team Clark
07-23-2008, 12:00 PM
From Fay's blog:

So, per usual, two of our young starters are denied the extra day's rest because the staff has no long/swing guy who can make spot starts -- nor, for some reason, is there a willingness to work a AAA shuttle for a couple weeks while Fogg would be DL'd. I don't get it folks -- they're riding these guys like they've thrown 200 innings seasons in the bigs already.

I see what you are saying but in all seriosuness I can not justify sending Fogg to the DL over a split lip. First, Kremchek is not going to sign the paperwork for him to be put on the DL. This is not a "disabling" injury. Second, a player has to sign his own DL paperwork stating he knows why he is being disabled. (Not sure if everybody knows that) Fogg isn't going to do that over a split lip. Third, players put on the DL have to be approvedby the league, which is pretty easy, but I can see this one getting denied.

A spot starter would be great in this situation but the Reds just don't have someone that can hold their own in that spot, IMO.

Chip R
07-23-2008, 01:23 PM
A spot starter would be great in this situation but the Reds just don't have someone that can hold their own in that spot, IMO.

What they could do is send Coffey down and bring up someone like Thompson but since he's on the DL, that's not an option.

Team Clark
07-23-2008, 01:40 PM
What they could do is send Coffey down and bring up someone like Thompson but since he's on the DL, that's not an option.

It would be an option. Belisle is being converted to a reliever but it's not like he has forgotten how to start a ball game (just win one). Ohhh the days of Tim Birtsas.

Big Klu
07-23-2008, 01:54 PM
It would be an option. Belisle is being converted to a reliever but it's not like he has forgotten how to start a ball game (just win one). Ohhh the days of Tim Birtsas.

Or Rick Mahler.

WebScorpion
07-24-2008, 08:57 AM
Or Rick Mahler.

...or even Ron (The Diesel) Villone.

lollipopcurve
07-24-2008, 09:30 AM
I see what you are saying but in all seriosuness I can not justify sending Fogg to the DL over a split lip. First, Kremchek is not going to sign the paperwork for him to be put on the DL. This is not a "disabling" injury. Second, a player has to sign his own DL paperwork stating he knows why he is being disabled. (Not sure if everybody knows that) Fogg isn't going to do that over a split lip. Third, players put on the DL have to be approvedby the league, which is pretty easy, but I can see this one getting denied.

I see -- did not know all that. So, it seems to me the best solution would have been to bring up a spot starter like Ramirez or Livingston (it really doesn't matter all that much who it is -- just someone who can give you 5+ innings) and send Coffey down. As it stands, Fogg better be able to go Sunday, and they better ride him into the 6th, at least. Because Cueto needs to be under 100 pitches in his next start, in my opinion, and that may mean he's out of there early.

Someone needs to start managing this staff with a little foresight. The young starters hold the key to the next 5 years.

KittyDuran
07-24-2008, 10:27 AM
Fogg will suddenly feel the urge to hit into double plays and be chatty with runners on first.I wonder if any one got the reference to "The Mayor" there... :D

Team Clark
07-24-2008, 10:36 AM
Or Rick Mahler.

Funny that you caught onto my reference to dead ex-Reds.

Is this his "on" year or "off" year? :D

I see -- did not know all that. So, it seems to me the best solution would have been to bring up a spot starter like Ramirez or Livingston (it really doesn't matter all that much who it is -- just someone who can give you 5+ innings) and send Coffey down. As it stands, Fogg better be able to go Sunday, and they better ride him into the 6th, at least. Because Cueto needs to be under 100 pitches in his next start, in my opinion, and that may mean he's out of there early.

Someone needs to start managing this staff with a little foresight. The young starters hold the key to the next 5 years.

I agree. Just no one to fill that role right now.

Chip R
07-24-2008, 10:37 AM
I wonder if any one got the reference to "The Mayor" there... :D

:wave:

WebScorpion
07-24-2008, 01:40 PM
I wonder if any one got the reference to "The Mayor" there... :D

I got it, but was going to ignore it because I didn't want to remember The Mayor got hit by a thrown ball and it nearly shattered his eye socket. He pretty much had his cheek rebuilt and missed an entire season. UGH. See what you did now? ;)

Of course, there is the possibilty that The Mayor was never even traded to the Reds, on the day before Opening Day, for our Opening Day starter, Dave Burba, and this whole thing was just some bizarre acid flashback I had. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/gen135.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

Highlifeman21
07-24-2008, 04:48 PM

Not 1-800-Ron-Villone!

Calling him is like calling 911. He puts all the fires out!

KittyDuran
07-24-2008, 05:49 PM
Not 1-800-Ron-Villone!

Calling him is like calling 911. He puts all the fires out!I thought Villone's nickname was "RV" or "Big Rig". Or at least that's what Harnisch called him.

Matt700wlw
07-24-2008, 05:50 PM
Hamshakes!!!

Wasn't that the Dawn Patrol's name for Harnisch?

KittyDuran
07-24-2008, 09:42 PM
Hamshakes!!!

Wasn't that the Dawn Patrol's name for Harnisch?I thought it was "Old Onion Bag"...

:)

I'll have to hunt for my old cassettes of the show and also play the Crapster CD.

Gainesville Red
07-25-2008, 05:52 PM
From C. Trent:

"As long as I don't get any balls to the face, I'll be fine," Fogg said.

And, yes, as soon as those of us with a 7th-grade sense of humor snickered, he added, "yeah, that doesn't sound so good."

:bowrofl:

Fogg thinks he'll be ready for Sunday.