PDA

View Full Version : Jon Rauch to the Diamondbacks for Emilio Bonifacio

Tom Servo
07-22-2008, 05:36 PM
per rotoworld:

Diamondbacks acquired RHP Jon Rauch from the Nationals for 2B Emilio Bonifacio.

The Diamondbacks get help for their bullpen, but it comes at a steep price: Bonifacio was probably one of their top ten prospects entering the season. He's hitting .302/.348/.387 at Triple-A this season, but is an above-average defender with plenty of speed. Rauch, however, will be under Arizona's control for two more seasons. Luis Ayala, Saul Rivera, and Joel Hanrahan are all candidates to replace Rauch in Washington, with Saul Rivera looking like he might get the first shot with Hanrahan snaring the job down the line.

Well hey, we got Majewski and Bray!

flyer85
07-22-2008, 05:50 PM
Rauch was the guy I wanted at the time instead of Majewski(who I never liked). Unfortuantely I think the krivsky really wanted D'Artagnan rather than Rauch. I can't imagine Leatherpants would have held up the deal over Rauch.

camisadelgolf
07-22-2008, 06:53 PM
This is a very good deal for the Diamondbacks.

fearofpopvol1
07-22-2008, 07:43 PM
How long is Rauch under control for?

It is a smart move for Zona as it should help them get to the postseason, but I don't think it's enough to go much further.

I like the aggressiveness though.

red-in-la
07-22-2008, 08:05 PM
How long is Rauch under control for?

It is a smart move for Zona as it should help them get to the postseason, but I don't think it's enough to go much further.

I like the aggressiveness though.

Diamondbacks acquired RHP Jon Rauch from the Nationals for 2B Emilio Bonifacio.

The Diamondbacks get help for their bullpen, but it comes at a steep price: Bonifacio was probably one of their top ten prospects entering the season. He's hitting .302/.348/.387 at Triple-A this season, but is an above-average defender with plenty of speed. Rauch, however, will be under Arizona's control for two more seasons. Luis Ayala, Saul Rivera, and Joel Hanrahan are all candidates to replace Rauch in Washington, with Saul Rivera looking like he might get the first shot with Hanrahan snaring the job down the line.

RedsManRick
07-22-2008, 08:26 PM
I wonder if that means Arizona has been making progress in contract talks with Orlando Hudson? Most have assumed that Bonifacio would step in for him.

fearofpopvol1
07-22-2008, 08:31 PM
Whoops...guess I should've read closer...haha.

LvJ
07-22-2008, 08:50 PM
Wow. A steal.

Spitball
07-22-2008, 09:26 PM
Wow. A steal.

Let's hope they don't have a Rauch-gate. I don't trust Bowden...This wasn't even for a five tool outfielder!

Highlifeman21
07-22-2008, 10:00 PM
I wonder if that means Arizona has been making progress in contract talks with Orlando Hudson? Most have assumed that Bonifacio would step in for him.

I sure as heck hope not.

Orlando Hudson is one of the top guys I'd like to see wearing a Reds uniform for the next 3-5 years.

MasonBuzz3
07-22-2008, 10:45 PM
I sure as heck hope not.

Orlando Hudson is one of the top guys I'd like to see wearing a Reds uniform for the next 3-5 years.

move BP to SS?

KronoRed
07-22-2008, 11:14 PM
move BP to SS?

Or out of town for a kings ransome.

SteelSD
07-23-2008, 12:42 AM
So the D'Backs were able to grab Rauch for a prospect who doesn't project. Don't even get me started...

flyer85
07-23-2008, 11:12 AM
So the D'Backs were able to grab Rauch for a prospect who doesn't project. Don't even get me started...all depends on who you are :p:

RedsManRick
07-23-2008, 11:13 AM
If had a kid in the system with a lot of athleticism but who wasn't so great on the diamond, I'd be hitting up Bowden in a heartbeat. In fact, maybe we can convince him that Juan Fransisco is the next star....

flyer85
07-23-2008, 11:17 AM
If had a kid in the system with a lot of athleticism but who wasn't so great on the diamond, I'd be hitting up Bowden in a heartbeat. In fact, maybe we can convince him that Juan Fransisco is the next star....Yep, because Bonifacio does not project well at all. Leatherpants could really use Drew Stubbs.

flyer85
07-23-2008, 11:54 AM
great line from Kahrl

because Bonifacio's basically a bit of roster pyrite who wouldn't dupe even a whacked-out gold bug like Francisco Coronado

add a kick in the soft part to Leatherpants

Getting a top 25-caliber reliever for nothing you'll miss is something to brag about, but getting one that is under contract at under-market pricing for two more years to come ($2 million next year, and a $2.9 million club option for 2010) makes this exchange simply ridiculous, or a monumental favor by the Nats to the Snakes

But speed equals leadoff skills, right? Not so much, not when you've got a guy who's hitting a weak .302/.348/.387 for the Sidewinders. That sounds pretty good... except it's in Tucson, and translating that kind of production from him into what you might get from him at his peak gets you to a guy who might chip in at .269/.318/.347, or a .237 Equivalent Average. Maybe a slower, better-fielding edition of Tony Womack is what this team needs. If it is, you might wind up asking about what the actual goals are, because this is the kind of “prospect” who grows up to kill you because he's the real-world definition of what a replacement-level regular at second looks like.

There's little rational explanation for why you would dump a cheaply-signed Rauch for a dubious middle infield prospect. Bonifacio's aspiration in life will be to fight guys like the thumb-gifted Felipe Lopez or Ronnie Belliard's aging toad act; it is perhaps a goal beyond his grasp. Last I checked, steals were a counting-stat category that counted in make-believe, and not so much in real-world baseball, but hey, at least Bonifacio will steal bases.

blumj
07-23-2008, 12:02 PM
Yeah, I don't get this at all. Everyone else with relief pitchers to sell is throwing names of top 50 prospects around like they're nothing, and they sell off Rauch for this with plenty of time left before the deadline? Actually makes you wonder if Byrnes has something on Bowden.

hebroncougar
07-23-2008, 12:31 PM
Yeah, I don't get this at all. Everyone else with relief pitchers to sell is throwing names of top 50 prospects around like they're nothing, and they sell off Rauch for this with plenty of time left before the deadline? Actually makes you wonder if Byrnes has something on Bowden.

Yep, it's called intelligent baseball club building.

REDREAD
07-23-2008, 01:33 PM
Here's a pretty good article on Bonifacio, with the Washington spin on it.

http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080722&content_id=3174232&vkey=news_was&fext=.jsp&c_id=was

Basically, the guy seems like a decent prospect to me. At causal glance, he doesn't seem worse than the prospects that Blanton, Harden, etc fetched. Seems to be a great glove with speed, that is close to the big leagues. He was compared to Luis Castillo.
Even if the kid just turns out to be a player like Reese was in his prime, that has some value.

And here's Bowden's spin

"It was tough to trade Jon Rauch. You have to trade a reliever when you have a chance to get an everyday position player who is 23 years old and in our long-term plans. You have to do it," Bowden said. "During the short term, this helps the Diamondbacks with a chance to win the World Series. In the long term, it's a good trade for us."

Of course, time will tell if this is a good trade or not. I really don't know. I'm not calling it a Washington win by any means, but I wonder why people are down on this kid while thinking the A's got a respectable deal with Blanton and Harden. Sure, the A's got more players back, but quanity isn't necessarily better.