PDA

View Full Version : Incredibly Tired of Grande

CentralKYRedfan
07-23-2008, 05:26 AM
George Grande's act is so stale to me, I'd take Leo Mazzone to do play by play at this point. He started the game last night with "get em on, get em over, get em in" and finished it with "smiling side of the scoreboard". The truth is that the Reds could commit 25 errors in a game and he'd be taking up for them/pimping the other team. This guy is absolutely abysmal.

Fon Duc Tow
07-23-2008, 08:18 AM
I go through phases... I actually don't mind him right now.

I usually go back and forth between listening to radio and TV audio every couple of innings.

Marty and Thom were talking about Abbott and Costello last night. I think Grande and Welsh are both "Abbotts," which makes the broadcast bland. I agree with Marty that Brantley is a Costello. Welsh and Brantley both offer the informative former pitcher perspective which is nice, but I think that Brantley and Grande make for an entertaining team as well.

They all do a pretty good job I think, although I agree at times the whole Bland Grande routine gets pretty old.

Ghosts of 1990
07-23-2008, 08:35 AM
When the Reds play well I don't notice Grande's tired act.

When they're playing bad and he's his usual peculiar, laughy, jokey self; I really want to kick him in the teeth. I'd prefer Marty ripping the group when we're playing bad. Don't know why.

realreds1
07-23-2008, 10:36 AM
Personally, I'm more tired of his "boot scootin'" booth partner...

mroby85
07-23-2008, 01:00 PM
I used to not like grande, but now i'm happy when anyone but the "cowboy" is in the booth.

PTI (pti)
07-23-2008, 01:36 PM
Jerry Harris-ton
Get-em-on get-em-over get-em-in
CoCo Cordero
Yep

Ugh. He is downright awful.

Orenda
07-23-2008, 01:49 PM
I know baseball history is important, but when your always talking about how great the game was when some dead-guy was playing or some guy who played 20 years ago, it really dulls the current product. George Grande does this at least once a game.

Orodle
07-23-2008, 03:00 PM
How about how Grande was saying how great John Allen was......seriously.....

AFalcon10
07-23-2008, 03:23 PM
I just cant stand how Grande can't be critical of the game. In this regard, Mary, obviously, and even Thom B. is lightyears ahead of Grande. I love listening to Thom, he really tells it like it is and thats the commentary I like to hear.

keeganbrick
07-23-2008, 03:44 PM
When Jay Bruce hit that HR against the Mets George said he hit a bloop into RF.

Old NDN
07-24-2008, 04:06 PM
I'm somewhere in the middle on this one. I like Grande for the most part, but his pollyanna style does get old. On the other hand, Marty is waaay to pompous, arrogant, opinionated, political( Who gives a crap what he thinks about the presidential race. Just call the damn ballgame!) and full of himself. I haven't listened to a whole radio game in a couple of years. Have you noticed Thom's style change when doing the national broadcasts? He's not overly critical of those teams as he is when doing Reds' games. Maybe Dad is coaching him to criticize. I think he does a great job with the MLB games. Cowboy? Great insight. Too talkative IMO.

Ghosts of 1990
07-24-2008, 04:18 PM
When Jay Bruce hit that HR against the Mets George said he hit a bloop into RF.

Haha I heard that too! :p:

Ghosts of 1990
07-24-2008, 04:18 PM
Anyone get the feeling that Grande is just a kind of weird, peculiar guy?

DTCromer
07-25-2008, 10:01 PM
Common sense tells me that if you don't like something, then stop what you don't like.

will5979
07-26-2008, 09:04 AM
My favorite is when Marty rips the team. I love it, especially when he ripped Volquez in the 1st last night. Marty knows his $***. He called the greatest team in the history of the game and to watch these jokers probably makes him puke.

DoubleA_Ron
07-26-2008, 09:55 AM
I guess I don't have a real problem with any of them. You want awful announcing listen to Ron Darling, and you'll never complain again.

Jr's Boy
08-14-2008, 12:36 PM
They need to send him to AAA Louisville,cause lately all I've heard from him is talking about manager Rick Sweet,over and over and over.And another thing,I have never heard any sports announcer talk about so many dead people every game.No disrespect to those departed,but it just seems like Grande has a scripted format he does every game.

I feel better already.:)

joe51391
08-14-2008, 12:48 PM
Is it me or does anyone like George Grande he is a buffoon I wish they could get good tv announcers like they do on the radio
:beerme:

redsbuckeye
08-14-2008, 12:52 PM
Grande offers a somewhat comical air to the game.

I can usually only tolerate it for a short while.

Ahhhorsepoo
08-14-2008, 01:02 PM
i like the times when i turn on the tv.. ala last night.. and there are 2 or 3 pitches where they dont say anything soo i think i just have a video feed, and audio at the stadium on field.. then they talk about scholarship golf..

Nasty_Boy
08-14-2008, 01:07 PM
I would much rather listen to corny old GG than the idiots on the radio. Marty used to be the best but he's a grumpy old man that thinks he knows it all. The Cowboy is just embarrassing! He makes listening on the radio unbearable.

I wish that I could listen to Thom and Welsh all the time.

Jadam
08-14-2008, 01:32 PM
I would much rather listen to corny old GG than the idiots on the radio. Marty used to be the best but he's a grumpy old man that thinks he knows it all. The Cowboy is just embarrassing! He makes listening on the radio unbearable.

:thumbup:

joe51391
08-14-2008, 02:07 PM
Thom and Joe Morgan would be freekin sweet

Nasty_Boy
08-14-2008, 02:10 PM
Joe Morgan is TERRIBLE!!!

There is even a website dedicated to bad announcing and sports writing... check it out.

www.firejoemorgan.com

Orodle
08-14-2008, 02:57 PM
people who think Joe Morgan is terrible dont realize he tells it like it is instead of making stupid crap up to take up air.

I mean you could listen to a real hall of famer, some guy that just has a good voice and is good at BSing, or a reject GM.

Jr's Boy
08-14-2008, 03:10 PM
Morgan is tolerable,Jon Miller is annoying after a while with his scripted excitement on every hit.His call on Bonds 756 was horrible.You figured he would have practiced a line to use.

Nasty_Boy
08-14-2008, 03:15 PM
Morgan is like listening to Dusty Baker. A bunch of blah blah blah about back in the day, and about how good (I) so and so was... Not a big fan of Mr. Morgan

redsbuckeye
08-14-2008, 03:31 PM
I mean you could listen to a real hall of famer, some guy that just has a good voice and is good at BSing, or a reject GM.

I'd like a guy who understands how the game of baseball works and can provide insight into what has transpired during the course of a game or season.

Focusonit
08-14-2008, 03:33 PM
I don't mind Grande. Sure he can be a little syrupy, but overall, he's alright.

Jr's Boy
08-14-2008, 06:18 PM
From the darkness to the light,I listened to Vin Scully the other night,Dodgers vs.Phillies.The phrase's he uses were something to behold,and he rattled them off most eloquent.

HalMorrisRules
08-14-2008, 06:37 PM

The Cowboy is the best thing that has hit the Reds broadcasting teams in a long time. He is fantastic and my decision to listen to the radio or the TV is predicated upon where he is that particular day. The interaction between he and Marty is priceless.

kpresidente
08-14-2008, 10:37 PM
My favorite is when Marty rips the team. I love it, especially when he ripped Volquez in the 1st last night. Marty knows his $***. He called the greatest team in the history of the game and to watch these jokers probably makes him puke.

He called the '27 Yankees?

RiSK
08-15-2008, 05:41 PM
That's ironic, I'm "Incredibly Tired" of hearing people complain about George Grande. I love him. He makes listening to broadcasts fun. He knows a ridiculous amount of information about baseball and brings the game down to a personal level, making it extremely interesting to listen to. He always has something to say about everyone, and does so with a chuckle in his voice.

He rarely has anything negative to say about the club, unlike his radio (and sometimes, TV) counterparts. Why even bother listening when all Marty and Jeff talk about are negative things, and have a pessimistic attitude about everything? I'm sorry, but that's depressing. I watch baseball to have an enjoyable time, and while the Reds are terrible, Grande never brings me even further down than I already was. Wish I could say the same about Marty and Jeff. I inevitably turn off the radio when I find myself scribbling out a suicide note.

Chris Welsh, on the other hand, is clueless.

FlyerFanatic
08-15-2008, 05:49 PM
That's ironic, I'm "Incredibly Tired" of hearing people complain about George Grande. I love him. He makes listening to broadcasts fun. He knows a ridiculous amount of information about baseball and brings the game down to a personal level, making it extremely interesting to listen to. He always has something to say about everyone, and does so with a chuckle in his voice.

He rarely has anything negative to say about the club, unlike his radio (and sometimes, TV) counterparts. Why even bother listening when all Marty and Jeff talk about are negative things, and have a pessimistic attitude about everything? I'm sorry, but that's depressing. I watch baseball to have an enjoyable time, and while the Reds are terrible, Grande never brings me even further down than I already was. Wish I could say the same about Marty and Jeff. I inevitably turn off the radio when I find myself scribbling out a suicide note.

Chris Welsh, on the other hand, is clueless.

its fine to have a optimistic attitude..but it gets really old hearing grande talk about other teams. the reds are terrible..so he talks about the other teams players, coaches...if hes not talking about the other team hes talking about old school baseball players most dont even know about. someone needs to remind him hes a reds announcer. his catch phrases, which are corny..which is fine...he uses waaayy to much.

i'd rather listen to marty, cowboy, thom, even welsh sometimes, more than grande. if a reds player makes a terrible fundamental mistake..i'd rather here an announcer rip them than either laugh it off, or start talking about how the other teams player made it possible for them to get on or score.

RiSK
08-15-2008, 06:01 PM
its fine to have a optimistic attitude..but it gets really old hearing grande talk about other teams. the reds are terrible..so he talks about the other teams players, coaches...if hes not talking about the other team hes talking about old school baseball players most dont even know about. someone needs to remind him hes a reds announcer. his catch phrases, which are corny..which is fine...he uses waaayy to much.

i'd rather listen to marty, cowboy, thom, even welsh sometimes, more than grande. if a reds player makes a terrible fundamental mistake..i'd rather here an announcer rip them than either laugh it off, or start talking about how the other teams player made it possible for them to get on or score.

To each their own, but it's pretty unprofessional to rip into someone. It's your job to call the game and make it exciting, not cast your own opinions.

Perhaps you're forgetting that Grande is a play by play announcer, and not a color guy?

FlyerFanatic
08-15-2008, 06:23 PM
To each their own, but it's pretty unprofessional to rip into someone. It's your job to call the game and make it exciting, not cast your own opinions.

Perhaps you're forgetting that Grande is a play by play announcer, and not a color guy?

isnt that what they're basically doing throughout the broadcast anyways? yea he'll pop in when a grounder is hit to the short stop or whatever. but they fill space by talking about reds news or even general baseball news. thats not play by play..thats being a color guy. him and welsh sound off on numerous things. thats fine..but if they're talking about a trade involving reds players or maybe a particular play that happens..which often does happen, between grande and welsh...its ok for him to say "i dont know what so and so was thinking on that play" i dont wanna hear everything is peachy after a terrible play by a reds player.

i can see where others see it the other way around, talking negative about players and the team can get annoying as well. i just think local media need to get into the players a bit, you dont think they hear about whats being said? look at what junior did with his gesture to brantley. i didnt see anything wrong with what brantley said, if a player isnt hustling or makes a terrible mistake...he should be called out on it.

just my two cents.

reds77
08-15-2008, 08:18 PM
Tonight is an example of why I cannot stand Grande. As LaRue is batting, Grande begins to talk about the highlights of LaRue's career (which in itself is amusing). The first thing Grande mentions is all the line drives that LaRue would hit against the Cardinals that were nearly longballs, but ended up being robbed by Jim Edmonds (Grande must have a shrine to Edmonds in his closet).

Seriously, does Grande think before he speaks?

RiSK
08-15-2008, 09:03 PM
isnt that what they're basically doing throughout the broadcast anyways? yea he'll pop in when a grounder is hit to the short stop or whatever. but they fill space by talking about reds news or even general baseball news. thats not play by play..thats being a color guy. him and welsh sound off on numerous things. thats fine..but if they're talking about a trade involving reds players or maybe a particular play that happens..which often does happen, between grande and welsh...its ok for him to say "i dont know what so and so was thinking on that play" i dont wanna hear everything is peachy after a terrible play by a reds player.

i can see where others see it the other way around, talking negative about players and the team can get annoying as well. i just think local media need to get into the players a bit, you dont think they hear about whats being said? look at what junior did with his gesture to brantley. i didnt see anything wrong with what brantley said, if a player isnt hustling or makes a terrible mistake...he should be called out on it.

just my two cents.

No, he shouldn't be called out on it. I'm sorry, but the people on TV are professionals. It's not their job to give negative feedback or rip into players. Their job is to give the facts and call the game as they see it. Grande adds in little tidbits about the game that are usually pretty interesting, and that's totally fine. It adds more things to talk about, and the conversations he has with Welsh on air are still very clean and professional.

It's your job as a fan to pass judgment, NOT the job of the commentators.

And yes, what Marty said about Cubs fans was funny and true, but totally unprofessional and uncalled for. Sure, he was upset and venting about what was happening on the field, but he should never have said what he said. It was way out of line. Marty's done that his whole career, however, and WLW is #1 when it comes to saying whatever is on their mind without fear of repercussion. As such, Marty got away with it.

While I don't think Welsh is any good as color guy, he's professional; and so is Grande. They're class acts and I'm happy to have them here.

Word of the day is "Professionalism."

Joseph
08-15-2008, 10:51 PM
:deadhorse