PDA

View Full Version : Carson Palmer rips Buckeyes

Chip R
07-23-2008, 09:06 AM
http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/sports/stories/2008/07/22/osu_fb22.ART_ART_07-22-08_C2_02AQHNP.html?type=rss&cat=&sid=101

MWM
07-23-2008, 09:09 AM
Ah, obviously Carson has never met any USC football fans or he could never make those comments with a straight face. And what a stupid thing for him to do. I'm guessing a significant portion of Bengals fans are also OSU fans. I can't imagine they're going to take too kindly to these comments.

Chip R
07-23-2008, 09:12 AM
Ah, obviously Carson has never met any USC football fans or he could never make those comments with a straight face. And what a stupid thing for him to do. I'm guessing a significant portion of Bengals fans are also OSU fans. I can't imagine they're going to take too kindly to these comments.

What are they going to do, boo him?

improbus
07-23-2008, 09:18 AM
I'm not too sure that most Bengals fans are Ohio State fans. I lived in Cincy as a kid and now live in Columbus, and I don't EVER remember my family caring about OSU. It went LaSalle, Reds, Bengals, UC, XU - in that order. I'm not even all that sure that Cincy folk even identify with Ohioans. They kind of live on their own planet.

Danny Serafini
07-23-2008, 09:27 AM
As a Buckeye and Bengal fan I couldn't possibly care less. He went to USC, they play OSU this year, of course he's going to get pumped up and talk a little trash about it. It certainly won't stop me for cheering for him.

OSUredsFAN
07-23-2008, 09:46 AM
As a Buckeye and Bengal fan I couldn't possibly care less. He went to USC, they play OSU this year, of course he's going to get pumped up and talk a little trash about it. It certainly won't stop me for cheering for him.

I agree, sure maybe its something that CP shouldn't have said but who really cares.

Go Bucks and Bengals!!!

Reds Fanatic
07-23-2008, 09:51 AM

I agree I am both a Buckeyes and a Bengals fan and it doesn't bother me at all.

gonelong
07-23-2008, 10:13 AM
I give him a free pass. As a Buckeyes fan I can image how others feel dropping in this area.

I'd probably get sick of hearing great the local conference is, and how over-rated my conference is on a daily basis. I'd probably get sick of seeing their flags, license plates, chairs, yard signs, etc.

I'm sure he is sick of it, and he was talking to a USC fan base. Meh.

GL

Johnny Footstool
07-23-2008, 10:18 AM
He's a USC product, and he issued a little good-natured trash-talk. He probably hears 10 times as much trash-talk from tOSU fans, so he's just giving a little back.

It's not like he said anything insulting. He just said that he constantly hears how great tOSU is, and he hopes his alma mater can win and shut up those Buckeye fans.

SeeinRed
07-23-2008, 10:44 AM
I'm not an OSU fan, but I know a lot of them. Not just regular fans either, the type that think OSU can do no wrong. Those types are a rarity, but they are annoying. I also see those types a lot who are UK fans. I constantly have people ask me how I'm not a fan of OSU. They always say something along the lines of "well you live in Ohio, so you have to like them." To which I always reply, "well then do you like Ohio University football?" I'm a UC fan all the way, but if Carson decided to rip the Bearcats to an audience where he played college football I wouldn't even blink. The guy played for USC, of course he doesn't like the Buckeyes. Just because he plays in Cincinnati doesn't mean he has to please OSU fans. Not everyone likes OSU, and if you get all riled up over this you may be the reason they don't like OSU.

Degenerate39
07-23-2008, 11:13 AM
Barry Larkin probably didn't like OSU either.

Joseph
07-23-2008, 11:18 AM
I'm a Bengals fan and I can't stand the Buckeyes football program. Its like Duke, only with a less interesting coach.

Kidding fellas, but I do dislike them.

Highlifeman21
07-23-2008, 01:14 PM
See, Carson gets it.

Caveat Emperor
07-23-2008, 01:37 PM
Carson Palmer knows his football.

If they're really mad, maybe the Buckeyes can get one of their NFL Starting QB alums to debate the point with him. ;)

Highlifeman21
07-23-2008, 04:55 PM
Carson Palmer knows his football.

If they're really mad, maybe the Buckeyes can get one of their NFL Starting QB alums to debate the point with him. ;)

Careful, the Ravens just might be dumb enough to start Troy Smith this year.

sonny
07-23-2008, 10:42 PM
Do you think Chris Speilman was Hailing to the Victors in his Lion's days. Surely not!

Nothing to see. Move along, move along.

Caseyfan21
07-23-2008, 10:52 PM
Eh, he can say whatever he wants. He's an alumni of the university so of course he will root for them. I really could care less as a die hard Buckeye but I'd imagine others might not take it so lightly. He should probably go into this realizing a good portion of his fan base also supports the Buckeyes. And he should also realize those same people care more about the Buckeyes because they actually win once in a while which the Bengals haven't really done in a consistent fashion.

SeeinRed
07-24-2008, 09:30 AM
He should probably go into this realizing a good portion of his fan base also supports the Buckeyes. And he should also realize those same people care more about the Buckeyes because they actually win once in a while which the Bengals haven't really done in a consistent fashion.

Not to pick on you, but this is exactly what I'm talking about. I don't think you meant it to come off this way, but OSU fans tend to think they are such great fans and everyone should love their team because they win. The annoying thing is that if the Bucks went a couple years without winning, a lot of OSU fans would jump ship or at least not be so annoying. Besides, why should Carson Palmer care who anybody around here roots for besides the Bengals. His job is to help the Bengals win. If him saying he doesn't like OSU makes you mad enough to quit rooting for the Bengals, you weren't that big of a fan to begin with.

I bet Adam Dunn doesn't like the Buckeyes. I bet thats why he is such a lightning rod around Cincinnati. Barry Larkin of course went to Michigan. I would be willing to bet that when UC plays OSU, assuming UC is still winning, There will be more people rooting for UC around here than OSU. If UC falls off a cliff before then there will be a lot more apathy than people rooting for OSU. Cincinnati just isn't a college football town. College basketball, sure. Professional football, yep.

Of course when you pay your athletes to play for you it is technically a professional team anyway. :D (Sorry, I just had to get the OSU joke in here. If I have to hear about how UC only recruits convicts I have to jab back.)

cincrazy
07-24-2008, 03:51 PM
[QUOTE=SeeinRed;1701570] The annoying thing is that if the Bucks went a couple years without winning, a lot of OSU fans would jump ship or at least not be so annoying. QUOTE]

Absolutely false my friend.

SeeinRed
07-24-2008, 04:13 PM
Absolutely false my friend.

How so? Its that way with every team other than the Cubs. I have a hard time believing OSU is the type of team that keeps fringy fans even when losing. Their main appeal is that they win every year. Very few fans I know can actually tell me anything about the Buckeye's history. After a couple years of losing, I doubt there would be very many people around here telling me that I have to like OSU because I live in Ohio. Especially if UC keeps winning. That is by no stretch a certainty I know, but there are many reasons OSU would lose fans. You gain fans when you win consistently, but you lose them when you lose. Every team goes through that. Granted, OSU has more "real" fans than a team like UC, but the real fans aren't always the most annoying. Its the ones who claim to be fans when they are winning and act like die hards.

Look at the Bengals. When they were losing, nobody watched them and nobody cared. When they start winning, everyone was always a fans and they watched every game and knew every player and the history of the team. Now you see that falling off again. Now, the Bengals have nowhere near the fan base of OSU because they don't win nearly as much. I think that still proves my point though. There just aren't that many people who will follow a losing team anymore because they can follow any team they want it seems like. You can watch almost every game of every major team. You don't just fall in love with the team you can watch in your home area anymore.

Highlifeman21
07-24-2008, 04:34 PM
I dunno, I just think Buckeye fans just get more annoying when they're winning consistently.

They aren't bandwagon fans, IMO. There's definitely lifers that stick with them when they're winning and during the Cooper years when they couldn't beat Michigan at all. I respect those kinda fans.

It's the Buckeye fans that came outta the woodwork in the Tressel era that in a sense didn't pay their dues with all the losing that was associated with John Cooper. And I'm not talking young, wet behind the ears, Buckeye fans that don't remember Cooper. I'm talking about the Buckeye fans that all of a sudden gave a crap about the Buckeyes once Tressel began consistently winning.

Regardless, Carson Palmer was right. He shouldn't have apologized for his words.

But seriously, Duke Basketball fans and Cubs fans are 1 and 1A in my book of most annoying.

Notre Dame fans aren't far behind them...

BuckeyeRedleg
07-24-2008, 11:25 PM
So much effort worrying about a team's fans.

Personally, I think it's envy cloaked in self-righteousness.

BuckeyeRedleg
07-24-2008, 11:27 PM
I'm not an OSU fan, but I know a lot of them. Not just regular fans either, the type that think OSU can do no wrong. Those types are a rarity, but they are annoying. I also see those types a lot who are UK fans. I constantly have people ask me how I'm not a fan of OSU. They always say something along the lines of "well you live in Ohio, so you have to like them." To which I always reply, "well then do you like Ohio University football?" I'm a UC fan all the way, but if Carson decided to rip the Bearcats to an audience where he played college football I wouldn't even blink. The guy played for USC, of course he doesn't like the Buckeyes. Just because he plays in Cincinnati doesn't mean he has to please OSU fans. Not everyone likes OSU, and if you get all riled up over this you may be the reason they don't like OSU.

You just described every fanbase in sports.

Caseyfan21
07-24-2008, 11:50 PM
Not to pick on you, but this is exactly what I'm talking about. I don't think you meant it to come off this way, but OSU fans tend to think they are such great fans and everyone should love their team because they win. The annoying thing is that if the Bucks went a couple years without winning, a lot of OSU fans would jump ship or at least not be so annoying. Besides, why should Carson Palmer care who anybody around here roots for besides the Bengals. His job is to help the Bengals win. If him saying he doesn't like OSU makes you mad enough to quit rooting for the Bengals, you weren't that big of a fan to begin with.

I bet Adam Dunn doesn't like the Buckeyes. I bet thats why he is such a lightning rod around Cincinnati. Barry Larkin of course went to Michigan. I would be willing to bet that when UC plays OSU, assuming UC is still winning, There will be more people rooting for UC around here than OSU. If UC falls off a cliff before then there will be a lot more apathy than people rooting for OSU. Cincinnati just isn't a college football town. College basketball, sure. Professional football, yep.

Of course when you pay your athletes to play for you it is technically a professional team anyway. :D (Sorry, I just had to get the OSU joke in here. If I have to hear about how UC only recruits convicts I have to jab back.)

I mean, I was just talking from a PR standpoint. One of my friends at work made a good analogy...it would be like Brett Farve taking a swipe at Wisconsin fans (even though his alma mater isn't playing them or whatever). It makes no sense for you to come out that hard and bash a team that many of your fans also support...it's just a bad PR move. I made it clear in my original post that I could care less. I'm a bandwagon Bengals supporter and I freely admit it. When the Bengals are winning I follow the NFL and when they are doing bad I don't even turn on my TV on Sunday afternoons.

I know Chris Perry has talked some trash before but he's never come out in quite the same way Carson did as brash and demeaning. I know Carson is caught up in it and I personally could care less as I've seen a lot of sports and I know how heated rivalries can be. I was just remarking it probably wasn't good PR for Carson. Same way as it would be for Chris Perry or Braylon Edwards.

As for Bucks fans jumping ship, you cannot be serious. Granted 1990's Buckeyes football is all I know having been born in 1985 but I will still love OSU win or lose just like I love the Reds even though they've been through some tough times. I watch every game and I have been since 1995 when I first started watching games with my dad. I watch whether they lose a heartbreaker to Michigan State or whether they win a National Championship. I cannot speak for other Buckeyes fans but of course I will always be a loud supporter of all OSU athletics since in one year I will be an alumni of the school. If others want to hate our fans or our programs that's their choice since people do tend to dislike teams just because they win (Yankees, Lakers, Patriots, etc, etc). I'm used to it and it just flows right over my shoulder. The minute OSU starts losing people will go back to not caring as much about them or their fans. Just ask Miami (FL) how much hatred they get now compared to a few years ago.

BuckeyeRedleg
07-24-2008, 11:52 PM
Not to pick on you, but this is exactly what I'm talking about. I don't think you meant it to come off this way, but OSU fans tend to think they are such great fans and everyone should love their team because they win.

I think you are just looking for something. And great, you have once again described every fanbase in the world.

The annoying thing is that if the Bucks went a couple years without winning, a lot of OSU fans would jump ship or at least not be so annoying.

Maybe because you wouldn't notice them because they weren't annoying you by winning? Seriously. What? Again, you could say this about any fanbase.

Besides, why should Carson Palmer care who anybody around here roots for besides the Bengals. His job is to help the Bengals win. If him saying he doesn't like OSU makes you mad enough to quit rooting for the Bengals, you weren't that big of a fan to begin with.

And IF someone said they were disappointed in Carson Palmer for making those comments (which nobody in this thread has even done) why would it bother you? If he can have an opinion about a fanbase, why can't someone have an opinion about him?

Face it. I don't think it's a big deal, but he put his foot in his mouth. He was doing a LA radio talk show and got caught up in it and ran his mouth. I guess he doesn't realize that with the internet, nothing is strictly local anymore. Personally, I think it's great. I think it's fine to be pumped up for the game, especially as a USC alum. I am as an OSU alum and I think we will win. Is that annoying? He could have said, "yeah, we're going to kill OSU" and I would have said super, bring it on. But he went off a bit on the fans like he was irritated with them. Just listen to his tone.

And he obviously thought better of it or he wouldn't have come back the next day and kissed up.

I like Carson Palmer. He likes to run his mouth and whine a bit, but I like him as a QB. Hopefully he can forget this nonsense and worry about his mess of a team and get them over the hump. Because, personally, I don't think they win 7 games this year.

cincrazy
07-25-2008, 12:06 AM
How so? Its that way with every team other than the Cubs. I have a hard time believing OSU is the type of team that keeps fringy fans even when losing. Their main appeal is that they win every year. Very few fans I know can actually tell me anything about the Buckeye's history. After a couple years of losing, I doubt there would be very many people around here telling me that I have to like OSU because I live in Ohio. Especially if UC keeps winning. That is by no stretch a certainty I know, but there are many reasons OSU would lose fans. You gain fans when you win consistently, but you lose them when you lose. Every team goes through that. Granted, OSU has more "real" fans than a team like UC, but the real fans aren't always the most annoying. Its the ones who claim to be fans when they are winning and act like die hards.

Look at the Bengals. When they were losing, nobody watched them and nobody cared. When they start winning, everyone was always a fans and they watched every game and knew every player and the history of the team. Now you see that falling off again. Now, the Bengals have nowhere near the fan base of OSU because they don't win nearly as much. I think that still proves my point though. There just aren't that many people who will follow a losing team anymore because they can follow any team they want it seems like. You can watch almost every game of every major team. You don't just fall in love with the team you can watch in your home area anymore.

Buckeye fans are anything BUT bandwagon fans. College sports is a whole other ballgame. I'm not going to sit here and defend ALL Buckeye fans, lord knows there are more than a few idiots. As an alumnus, it's embarrassing to me. But the same can be said for almost any traditional power in college football. When this team was going 6-6 and 7-5 with Steve Bellisari at QB, they were still putting 105,000 butts in the stadium.

Granted, when a team is going good, more people are liable to open their mouth and talk trash, which has clearly happened. But you'll get that anywhere. The school has been put under a microscope due to one incident (the rioting in 2002), and that's just not fair.

SeeinRed
07-25-2008, 11:08 AM
Maybe because you wouldn't notice them because they weren't annoying you by winning? Seriously. What? Again, you could say this about any fanbase.

Which is probably because they wouldn't be trying to rub it in everyones face that they won. Yes, OSU fans are just like every other over zealous group, but I don't have to deal with many Duke fans here. OSU fans are the ones who I frequently deal with in my personal experiences and are the ones I notice. Yes, I dare say that OSU fans would not be near as vocal if they were losing. Just as you said, like everyone else. Which is my original point.

And IF someone said they were disappointed in Carson Palmer for making those comments (which nobody in this thread has even done) why would it bother you? If he can have an opinion about a fanbase, why can't someone have an opinion about him?

Why does my opinion bother you? It obviously does, but I guess it only goes in one direction if it helps your argument.

Face it. I don't think it's a big deal, but he put his foot in his mouth. He was doing a LA radio talk show and got caught up in it and ran his mouth. I guess he doesn't realize that with the internet, nothing is strictly local anymore. Personally, I think it's great. I think it's fine to be pumped up for the game, especially as a USC alum. I am as an OSU alum and I think we will win. Is that annoying? He could have said, "yeah, we're going to kill OSU" and I would have said super, bring it on. But he went off a bit on the fans like he was irritated with them. Just listen to his tone.

And he obviously thought better of it or he wouldn't have come back the next day and kissed up.

I like Carson Palmer. He likes to run his mouth and whine a bit, but I like him as a QB. Hopefully he can forget this nonsense and worry about his mess of a team and get them over the hump. Because, personally, I don't think they win 7 games this year.

Carson did not put his foot in his mouth. He was talking to HIS hometown fans. I don't feel bad for saying that in general, I find that the OSU fans I come in contact with seem to be overbearing. Thats annoying to me. I'm obviously not the only one. The fact that it is such a big deal and people are so pretentious that they think to play in Ohio, you have to like the things in Ohio. Its not his job to make fans like him. Its his job to be the QB for the Cincinnati Bengals. And now he gets a reputation for running his mouth and whinning because he says he doesn't like OSU? I don't even think he sees this as a mess. Why would he? I bet he doesn't really care for UC, but he isn't going to bash the fans because they don't have such the same type of fans. I'm not saying UC won't have those fans if they start winning, but I will even be annoyed by them. I'm not one of those fans, so if someone wants to bash UC fans because they tend to be overbearing, I won't care. I find Bengals fans annoying in that they always think they know everything about football. I'm a Bengals fan, but I don't pretend to know what the Bengals need to get better, or what Marvin Lewis is doing so wrong all the time. I'll even say that Bengals fans are annoying, bandwagoning, and not very knowlegable, and I really believe that. That doesn't mean thats what I am, and it doesn't offend me to hear fans of the Patriots say that, but the ones that take offense to that tend to be the violators. There is a thin line between supportive, and overbearing. I tend to see a large amount of overbearing in OSU fans.

Carson may be overbearing if you want to say that about his statements, but the only reason you even heard them was because they are shoved down our throats by the media.

I have not seen one reason to say Palmer runs his mouth and whines. Not one. The only reason he apologized (which it wasn't really and apology) was because everyone was making such a big deal out of it. Its kind of weird to hear you talk about how it wasn't a big deal but make a point to say Carson runs his mouth in the same argument. If it wasn't a big deal to you, why would you do that? You obviously found it annoying, so that should answer your own question. I'm not about to lable all OSU fans annoying, and definately not you, but I see a lot of OSU fans that way because every Saturday I have to hear about how they won another game and I root for losers. UK fans don't tell me that. Michigan fans don't tell me that. I know some of both.

Again, in my own personal experiences, I have found OSU fans overbearing, and there are a lot of people who would agree with me. Telling me that I just describe every team's fans doesn't change the fact that I see OSU fans in an uproar over something so petty. Not exactly helping the case. It may not be a big deal to you, but obviously it is to a lot of OSU fans. You can tell that a fanbase is seen as annoying when you have to sides that are for OSU, and agianst OSU. Not OSU vs. Michigan, or OSU vs. USC around here. Its OSU vs. not OSU. Thats pretty telling in my opinion.

Chip R
07-25-2008, 11:19 AM
My take is that Bengals fans wouldn't care if he took a tOSU flag and burned it in the middle of PBS as long as he won the Super Bowl. If he were performing like Akili Smith, then he'd have something to be worried about.

SeeinRed
07-25-2008, 11:43 AM
Buckeye fans are anything BUT bandwagon fans. College sports is a whole other ballgame. I'm not going to sit here and defend ALL Buckeye fans, lord knows there are more than a few idiots. As an alumnus, it's embarrassing to me. But the same can be said for almost any traditional power in college football. When this team was going 6-6 and 7-5 with Steve Bellisari at QB, they were still putting 105,000 butts in the stadium.

Which is all I'm saying. I don't deal with other programs because of proximity issues. All I've seen in my personal experience. A lot of OSU fans around here would be like Bengals fans. They don't quit "rooting" for them, but they don't follow them either. Every team has bandwagon fans. Look at UC basketball, or UC football in the other direction. The "idiots" are the ones that annoy me. I see a lot of them around here and they usually appear when a team is winning. There aren't a lot of "idiots" that are Reds fans right now because there just aren't a large amount of people following them while they have been losing. Same would happen around here with OSU. Everyone wants to root for a winner, some just do it more respectfully than others. OSU fans have a reputation just like UC athletics has a reputation. It may be exaggerated, but there is truth to it. I love my UC sports, but they did recruit a lot of questionable characters. It is what it is.

cincrazy
07-25-2008, 12:11 PM
My take is that Bengals fans wouldn't care if he took a tOSU flag and burned it in the middle of PBS as long as he won the Super Bowl. If he were performing like Akili Smith, then he'd have something to be worried about.

Exactly. I personally don't have a problem with it. First of all, I don't think he was being completely serious. I'm sure OSU fans DO annoy him, but I think he has a respect for OSU, and he's poking some fun their way with the game coming up. The only problem I have with it is from a PR standpoint... the Bengals have already had a slew of arrests, and this obviously pales in comparison to all of that. But the star QB apparently "ripping" into the beloved Buckeyes doesn't exactly help this team get out of the muck.

Spring~Fields
07-25-2008, 12:57 PM
I listened to Palmer on WLW when they had some fun with his comments, and interviewed him, I liked what he said, he was entertaining. Ohio States football program needs to improve anyway, we all saw that in the national championship games, playing teams like USC would push them to improve or keep them out of national championship games when they don't belong.

Then again I am for all for the major football powers in college football to have to play tougher schedules against the other football powers every year, so we might see some real champions vs that BCS Poll fiasco.

cincrazy
07-25-2008, 01:19 PM
I listened to Palmer on WLW when they had some fun with his comments, and interviewed him, I liked what he said, he was entertaining. Ohio States football program needs to improve anyway, we all saw that in the national championship games, playing teams like USC would push them to improve or keep them out of national championship games when they don't belong.

Then again I am for all for the major football powers in college football to have to play tougher schedules against the other football powers every year, so we might see some real champions vs that BCS Poll fiasco.

I'm not sure that I'd say that Ohio State needs to improve... nothing to be ashamed of, appearing in 2 straight national title games... Last year, they were in the game because every other team in the nation choked. NOBODY deserved to win the big game last year. It was a rebuilding year, and they went 11-2. I'll take that every year.

Also, I agree that more programs need to beef up their out of conference schedule, but that's simply not the case with us. Last year was just the exception to the rule. We have USC the next 2 years, we had Texas in a home and home a few years ago, we have Miami coming up, Va. Tech well down the road, among other powerhouse schools. OSU is at the forefront of beefing up its nonconference slate, and more schools should follow suit.

improbus
07-25-2008, 01:36 PM
Living in Columbus and not being a nut for OSU is tough, but fun. It is SOOOO easy to get under their skin. They are the most defensive fan-base I've ever met. But, there is one thing that makes OSU fans more annoying than fans from any other school I've ever encountered. They have this idea that they are somehow an underdog. When it comes to games with Miami, Florida, USC, Texas, etc..., they see themselves as the plucky little team that could. When I lived in Lexington, UK fans felt it was their birthright to play for National Titles. It's a totally different atmosphere.

Some quick facts about OSU that should debunk this myth forever:
-They have the largest athletic budget of any school in the country ($109 million)
-They are the only major conference football program in a top high school football state (think about it: Florida - Florida, Miami, FSU; Texas - UT, A&M, Texas Tech, TCU, etc..., California - USC, UCLA, Cal, etc...; Pennsylvania - PSU, Pitt)

*BaseClogger*
07-25-2008, 02:19 PM
But, there is one thing that makes OSU fans more annoying than fans from any other school I've ever encountered. They have this idea that they are somehow an underdog.

That probably has something to do with the way the national media (ESPN) treats them and their conference...

BuckeyeRedleg
07-25-2008, 02:22 PM
Living in Columbus and not being a nut for OSU is tough, but fun. It is SOOOO easy to get under their skin. They are the most defensive fan-base I've ever met. But, there is one thing that makes OSU fans more annoying than fans from any other school I've ever encountered. They have this idea that they are somehow an underdog. When it comes to games with Miami, Florida, USC, Texas, etc..., they see themselves as the plucky little team that could.

I have lived in or around Columbus my entire life and I have never run into one fan that thinks this way.

By the way, they were underdogs to Miami. They probably will be to USC as well. Blame Vegas for that. If anything, the team and the fans overlooked Florida and everyone I know expected them to beat Texas in 2005 and 2006.

I'm not sure what you are talking about, but it didn't get under my skin.

May I ask who your favorite college team is?

cincrazy
07-25-2008, 03:26 PM
Living in Columbus and not being a nut for OSU is tough, but fun. It is SOOOO easy to get under their skin. They are the most defensive fan-base I've ever met. But, there is one thing that makes OSU fans more annoying than fans from any other school I've ever encountered. They have this idea that they are somehow an underdog. When it comes to games with Miami, Florida, USC, Texas, etc..., they see themselves as the plucky little team that could. When I lived in Lexington, UK fans felt it was their birthright to play for National Titles. It's a totally different atmosphere.

Some quick facts about OSU that should debunk this myth forever:
-They have the largest athletic budget of any school in the country ($109 million)
-They are the only major conference football program in a top high school football state (think about it: Florida - Florida, Miami, FSU; Texas - UT, A&M, Texas Tech, TCU, etc..., California - USC, UCLA, Cal, etc...; Pennsylvania - PSU, Pitt)

Last I checked, the Hurricanes were a roster full of NFL ready talent, so yeah, we were an underdog that game. And it is easy to get under our skin, because the national media has been piling on for 5 years, making it look like some renegade school. It's a great academic place, it's a great community, and I've never been more proud to be associated with anything in my entire life.

So yeah, when people use the "It's nothing but a party school," or "They riot after every big win," yeah, that gets under my skin. Most people don't know that for the most part, OSU students weren't involved in the melee that was 2002. They were off campus individuals. Follow that incident up with the Clarett fiasco, and BOOM, OSU has a Scarlet Letter on its chest thanks to ESPN.

We don't feel like an underdog, but we do feel disrespected. Tressel has built a class program on several different levels, and it's completely mocked at times. It's frustrating, and I can't wait to take some of my anger out on USC on the 13th of Sept. :thumbup:

BuckeyeRedleg
07-25-2008, 04:11 PM
Which is probably because they wouldn't be trying to rub it in everyones face that they won. Yes, OSU fans are just like every other over zealous group, but I don't have to deal with many Duke fans here. OSU fans are the ones who I frequently deal with in my personal experiences and are the ones I notice.

Well, then you have a bias against OSU fans because you live in Ohio. If you lived in Alabama and they were on a good run, you'd probably be annoyed by their fans as well.

Why does my opinion bother you? It obviously does, but I guess it only goes in one direction if it helps your argument.

I was responding to you who was first bothered by other's opinion on Palmer. You were also bothered by Caseyfan's relatively mild post. I guess we're both guilty.

Carson did not put his foot in his mouth. He was talking to HIS hometown fans.

My opinion is that he did somewhat put his foot in his mouth or he wouldn't have issued a statement the next day. He might have been talking on radio in LA, but he knows that with the internet nothing he says is just local. And it's one thing to say "we're going to kill OSU". But he whined about Buckeye fans (like you are) that they are annoying. He didn't need to make it personal, but he did. Just like you are doing.

I don't feel bad for saying that in general, I find that the OSU fans I come in contact with seem to be overbearing. Thats annoying to me. I'm obviously not the only one. The fact that it is such a big deal and people are so pretentious that they think to play in Ohio, you have to like the things in Ohio.

BS. Nobody said he has to love Ohio or OSU. Why can't you separate that from him going at of his way to whine about the fanbase? I don't care if he hates OSU. I don't expect him to sing "Hang on Sloopy" or dot the i. He could have said "we will win" or "we are awesome" or "they suck", without saying anything about OSU fans and Tressel and I'd have thought it was nothing. It's still no big deal, but it would have been no deal at all had he just talked about the teams and game - not the fans.

Its not his job to make fans like him. Its his job to be the QB for the Cincinnati Bengals.

Who said it was? But he shouldn't wonder why some of his supporters who are also Buckeye fans are confused or offended (even if it was just slightly) by his little rant on OSU fans and their coach.

And now he gets a reputation for running his mouth and whinning because he says he doesn't like OSU?

No because he whined about the fans. He could have said he hated OSU, without getting specific as to why. He made it quite apparent why he hates OSU though, but I would venture to guess 2002 didn't help.

I tend to see a large amount of overbearing in OSU fans.

I do too. Just as I do when I travel to any other college town. Michigan fans IN OHIO were overbearing once as well. They are no more.

Carson may be overbearing if you want to say that about his statements, but the only reason you even heard them was because they are shoved down our throats by the media.

As a fan of the Buckeyes, I am well aware of the media's tendency to exaggerate inconsequential "news".

Again, in my own personal experiences, I have found OSU fans overbearing, and there are a lot of people who would agree with me. Telling me that I just describe every team's fans doesn't change the fact that I see OSU fans in an uproar over something so petty. Not exactly helping the case. It may not be a big deal to you, but obviously it is to a lot of OSU fans. You can tell that a fanbase is seen as annoying when you have to sides that are for OSU, and agianst OSU. Not OSU vs. Michigan, or OSU vs. USC around here. Its OSU vs. not OSU. Thats pretty telling in my opinion.

I get it. You think OSU fans are overbearing and annoying (just like Carson Palmer). Great. You've made that point well known a time or two or three. Maybe you are drawing in those overbearing fans. I don't know.

Caseyfan21
07-25-2008, 08:29 PM
I'm not sure that I'd say that Ohio State needs to improve... nothing to be ashamed of, appearing in 2 straight national title games... Last year, they were in the game because every other team in the nation choked. NOBODY deserved to win the big game last year. It was a rebuilding year, and they went 11-2. I'll take that every year.

Also, I agree that more programs need to beef up their out of conference schedule, but that's simply not the case with us. Last year was just the exception to the rule. We have USC the next 2 years, we had Texas in a home and home a few years ago, we have Miami coming up, Va. Tech well down the road, among other powerhouse schools. OSU is at the forefront of beefing up its nonconference slate, and more schools should follow suit.

Not to mention Oklahoma and we tried to play Florida but they refused to play us. Ohio State has 1 premier game every year outside of the conference (exception being last year).

Ohio State and Texas were the two schools pushing the premier out of conference game and most of the other schools are following suit over the next 10 years. With some of the upcoming non conference games it's a great time to be a college football fan.

improbus
07-25-2008, 10:15 PM
Last I checked, the Hurricanes were a roster full of NFL ready talent, so yeah, we were an underdog that game. And it is easy to get under our skin, because the national media has been piling on for 5 years, making it look like some renegade school. It's a great academic place, it's a great community, and I've never been more proud to be associated with anything in my entire life.

ESPN did hire both Herby and Speilman, so they don't hate OSU. Also, there were a ton of OSU players NFL bound.

*BaseClogger*
07-25-2008, 10:18 PM
ESPN hates tOSU...

cincrazy
07-25-2008, 11:59 PM
Not to mention Oklahoma and we tried to play Florida but they refused to play us. Ohio State has 1 premier game every year outside of the conference (exception being last year).

Ohio State and Texas were the two schools pushing the premier out of conference game and most of the other schools are following suit over the next 10 years. With some of the upcoming non conference games it's a great time to be a college football fan.

And even Washington last year was by no means a "cupcake" game. That stadium is one of the loudest in all of football, and we represented ourselves quite well.

cincrazy
07-26-2008, 12:13 AM
ESPN did hire both Herby and Speilman, so they don't hate OSU. Also, there were a ton of OSU players NFL bound.

It's not so much that they hate us... as the coverage is unfair. There's a difference. Do I think they have an agenda on us? Certainly not. But do I think they've covered everything fairly? Absolutely not. And that's unfair. The Clarett situation was blown out of proportion, the riots were blown out of proportion, etc. etc. Hell, you would think that two consecutive national title game appearances and 3 in 6 years would be enough to validate us in the eyes of the national media and fan... instead we're a joke. Go figure.

Highlifeman21
07-26-2008, 10:06 AM
ESPN hates tOSU...

Actually, quite the opposite.

Unassisted
07-26-2008, 01:07 PM
What's the worst that could happen from this? I doubt that everyone in Columbus will suddenly start despising the Bengals. I think something like this matters more to sports reporters in Columbus who have to cover both teams.

improbus
07-26-2008, 01:22 PM
It's not so much that they hate us... as the coverage is unfair. There's a difference. Do I think they have an agenda on us? Certainly not. But do I think they've covered everything fairly? Absolutely not. And that's unfair. The Clarett situation was blown out of proportion, the riots were blown out of proportion, etc. etc. Hell, you would think that two consecutive national title game appearances and 3 in 6 years would be enough to validate us in the eyes of the national media and fan... instead we're a joke. Go figure.

Everyone knows that Miami and FSU have had scandals. So, to report their problems isn't going to really push the needle much. But, OSU has had that clean cut midwestern image, and it is more interesting when the clean cut guys have scandals. It would have been the same coverage if he played at PSU, or Michigan, or Notre Dame. But, I do understand where you are coming from. USC seems to have gotten a pass, but between Reggie Bush and OJ Mayo they seem to have some sort of NCAA violation factory being built in LA, and yet the schools feet have not been held to the fire.

cincrazy
07-26-2008, 04:45 PM
Everyone knows that Miami and FSU have had scandals. So, to report their problems isn't going to really push the needle much. But, OSU has had that clean cut midwestern image, and it is more interesting when the clean cut guys have scandals. It would have been the same coverage if he played at PSU, or Michigan, or Notre Dame. But, I do understand where you are coming from. USC seems to have gotten a pass, but between Reggie Bush and OJ Mayo they seem to have some sort of NCAA violation factory being built in LA, and yet the schools feet have not been held to the fire.

Well OSU isn't the only school that isn't covered fairly. You're exactly right, if it was another school in our shoes that was a big reputation school, they too would have been covered unfairly.

DoubleA_Ron
07-29-2008, 10:07 AM
Maybe it's because I understand where Carson is coming from, but his stock just rose in my book. The fact that this has been discussed ad nauseum only proves his point in a way.

I don't think he would have said the same thing in too many other places, because buckeye fans aren’t like most fans. As someone not originally from Ohio, I'm honestly disgusted by the behavior of most OSU fans, and I know I'm not alone. As a military brat, I’ve lived a great number of places in my life and this weird obsession with group of college aged kids is almost sickening. Just because I live in Ohio does not mean I am going to live a subpar college I've never attended.

cincrazy
07-29-2008, 10:52 PM
Maybe it's because I understand where Carson is coming from, but his stock just rose in my book. The fact that this has been discussed ad nauseum only proves his point in a way.

I don't think he would have said the same thing in too many other places, because buckeye fans arenít like most fans. As someone not originally from Ohio, I'm honestly disgusted by the behavior of most OSU fans, and I know I'm not alone. As a military brat, Iíve lived a great number of places in my life and this weird obsession with group of college aged kids is almost sickening. Just because I live in Ohio does not mean I am going to live a subpar college I've never attended.

If it's a subpar college, then why do its students and alumni go to such great lengths to defend it CONSTANTLY?

Yachtzee
07-30-2008, 12:01 AM

I don't think he would have said the same thing in too many other places, because buckeye fans arenít like most fans. As someone not originally from Ohio, I'm honestly disgusted by the behavior of most OSU fans, and I know I'm not alone. As a military brat, Iíve lived a great number of places in my life and this weird obsession with group of college aged kids is almost sickening. Just because I live in Ohio does not mean I am going to live a subpar college I've never attended.

I have never so much as set foot on the campus of Ohio State, but the school is hardly a "subpar college." The university has a large number of nationally respected academic programs. As a public school, its admission requirements may be a bit more open than a private institution, but that hardly makes it less fine an institution of higher learning. Granted, some programs may be better than others, and the academic standards for the football team may be less than desirable, but it has tremendous facilities and opportunities to excel for students who desire it.

cincrazy
07-30-2008, 10:55 AM
I have never so much as set foot on the campus of Ohio State, but the school is hardly a "subpar college." The university has a large number of nationally respected academic programs. As a public school, its admission requirements may be a bit more open than a private institution, but that hardly makes it less fine an institution of higher learning. Granted, some programs may be better than others, and the academic standards for the football team may be less than desirable, but it has tremendous facilities and opportunities to excel for students who desire it.

:thumbup:

paintmered
07-30-2008, 11:19 AM

Certainly true. It's also true of nearly every state university in Ohio.

Yachtzee
07-30-2008, 11:07 PM
Certainly true. It's also true of nearly every state university in Ohio.

Yes indeed. Up here, people who went to Kent make fun of those who went to Akron and vice versa. Yet each school has a number of academic programs that are ranked very high nationally. Ohio provides a large variety of choices and access to quality education for those who seek it. Now if they could just find a way to make it more affordable.

Caveat Emperor
07-31-2008, 12:41 AM
ESPN hates tOSU...

You mean the school that their lead college football analyst played quarterback for? The conference they, via ABC, own the telecast rights for?

Yeah -- they hate 'em alright.

Yachtzee
07-31-2008, 11:49 PM
You mean the school that their lead college football analyst played quarterback for? The conference they, via ABC, own the telecast rights for?

Yeah -- they hate 'em alright.

I don't think ESPN "hates" any team. Some analysts appear to harbor a strong dislike/like for certain teams. But as far as sports in general go, ESPN is the network of frontrunners. I'm sure sometime down the road, when the Big 10 makes a run of bowl wins with a few national champions sprinkled in, ESPN will talk about how great the Big 10 is. Fans who don't like the Big 10 will complain about how ESPN only cares about Big 10 teams and Big 10 fans will finally think ESPN is getting it right. That's the way things go. ESPN analysts love teams and conferences that win and pile on conferences and teams when they're down.

Personally, I'd much prefer ESPN stop with all the "infotainment" and get back to covering sports.

paintmered
08-01-2008, 06:37 AM
The Big 10 is a top-heavy conference. But the last few years, it's been even more so. These things are cyclical and the Big 10 will be back to where they used to be in a matter of time. But the last three years, the Big 10 hasn't been in the top 3 conferences.

As far as ESPN's coverage goes, Mark May is a complete hater of Ohio State. I think Herbstreet keeps his allegiance in check pretty well. The rest of them give OSU a pretty fair shake.

improbus
08-05-2008, 09:32 PM
ESPN generally "favors" and covers whomever is going to be on their network. That is why it took them some time to really believe in the SEC. They simply don't cover their games. Ask the NHL about ESPN's bias...