PDA

View Full Version : Reds going after Houston Street

redhawk61
07-23-2008, 01:32 PM
According to the SF Chronicle:
"Near-daily Huston Street trade rumor: The Reds apparently have some interest in the A's closer, according to sources, and the Mets also might make a run at trying to get him"

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/07/23/SPVS11T4TF.DTL

steig
07-23-2008, 01:49 PM
this doesn't make sense to me unless the reds want to convert him to a starter.

TheBigLebowski
07-23-2008, 01:51 PM
Must be a typo. Makes no sense whatsoever.

Nasty_Boy
07-23-2008, 01:51 PM
I'm all for adding more quality arms. Don't know the reasoning unless they find a sucker to take Coco's contract.

dunner13
07-23-2008, 01:56 PM
It seems like jocketty is just going after talent and is planning on putting the pieces together later. I dont know maybe he can trade cordero this offseason and get a decent return if he gets street to close.

redhawk61
07-23-2008, 01:59 PM
from MLBTR
Reds Interested In Huston Street?
By Tim Dierkes [July 23 at 11:50am CST]
Up until today, the list of known Huston Street suitors included the Mets, White Sox, Dodgers, and Brewers. The San Francisco Chronicle's Susan Slusser tosses a new club into the mix: the Reds.

It's an interesting development; the Reds are nine games out of the wild card. Of course, that didn't stop the Astros from making an acquisition. And unlike Randy Wolf, Street is under team control through 2010. On the other hand, Street could earn more than $5MM next year and the Reds are already paying Francisco Cordero $12MM in '09.

For discussion's sake...would a Street-Adam Dunn swap make any sense? We know that the A's are lingering around on Jason Bay discussions. Dunn isn't under contract for '09, but he should be good for two draft picks. Walt Jocketty and Billy Beane matched up once before, on the Mark Mulder-Dan Haren deal.

Krawhitham
07-23-2008, 02:16 PM
Would rather have Street than the 2 picks for Dunn

Move Cordero to the Mets

Oxilon
07-23-2008, 02:27 PM
Interesting name being thrown out there, and honestly, I like it. I've always been a big fan of Streets, even though he's had a rough time at things recently. Just think if we land him...a Burton, Street, and Cordero 7th, 8th, and 9th. Throw in Lincoln and Bill Bray and we have the best bullpen in the majors. And honestly, I really don't think we'd need to throw in any of the fab four.

Maybe a Frazier, Valakia, and Stubbs for Streets?

sammonator
07-23-2008, 02:29 PM
How about Bailey and Stubbs for Street?

PTI (pti)
07-23-2008, 02:32 PM
Isn't there some speculation out there that his arm is wearing down? He hasn't had a single strikeout in his last 4 appearances (5 innings), has been pretty bad in July, and not much better overall in '08 - with an ERA over 4.

I want the draft picks.

PTI (pti)
07-23-2008, 02:34 PM
How about Bailey and Stubbs for Street?

Might as well throw Volquez and Bruce in there as well.

07-23-2008, 03:19 PM
Acquiring Street only makes sense of the Reds are willing to trade Cordero at some point. They can't afford both once Street hits arbitration, which is next year.

But I love Dunn for Street.

TheBigLebowski
07-23-2008, 03:34 PM
Dunn for Street? No thanks.

Hell, as I type this, Dunn just went Big Fly - the Grand Slam variety.

texasdave
07-23-2008, 03:54 PM
Dunn for Street? No thanks.

Hell, as I type this, Dunn just went Big Fly - the Grand Slam variety.

It's Big Fly - size 4. :beerme:

Fon Duc Tow
07-23-2008, 03:57 PM
So...trade an everyday player who almost leads the league, for a closer.

hmmm.....

07-23-2008, 04:06 PM

hmmm.....

If they were in the same contract situations, then that makes no sense, but Dunn is about to leave via free agency. Two years of Street for two months of Dunn makes a lot of sense in my mind.

07-23-2008, 04:23 PM
One thing that I hope is not true.
But maybe Burton is hurt worse than they are letting on? I really hope that is not the reason.

Griffey012
07-23-2008, 04:29 PM
Maybe they want to acquire street to dominate the closer market. And then swap Street, or maybe Coco for a much bigger package than they will give up.

Or maybe Beane has his eye on some Reds prospects that don't fit that much into the Reds' future plans, so Street could be had relatively cheap prospect wise.

AFalcon10
07-23-2008, 04:59 PM
I was shocked to say the least when I first saw this. The bullpen is the best part of this ballteam right now and it does not make sense that that is the area Walt would be working to improve. Simply put, I am not willing to trade any top 10 Reds prospect for a closer with a 4.10 era in one of the ALs best pitching parks for only a year and a half, I'm just not.

Some have raised the prospect of Dunn being sent to Oakland. That would make more sense from the Reds perspective only because we would get Huston through next season and we may not get Dunn at the end of the year. If that is the deal that is made , we know that Walt felt pretty confident that we either Couldn't or Wouldn't resign Dunn - a very dissapointing and disturbing reality given his consistent production. Even though it would make sense to get something return for Dunn (even if it is only an additional year of a overhyped closer), it would be trading offense for bullpen help now, which I do not think matches the strategic interests of the Reds at this point. It simply is not a need.

To those that think Walt may be finding some interest for CoCo, snap out of it. That is a gigantic contract that he quite bluntly has not lived up to. I do not know many teams that would eat up that contract for the pitcher they would be getting at this point. That being said, Coco is more then adequate as our closer and our bullpen is solid, particularly after Jared returns, atleast in my estimation. Any attempt to fix what aint broken seems to be a knee jerk reaction to past week, which I would hope Walt is wise enough to see past.

So, the only way this trade would make sense is if Dunn is sent the other way and if we knew we would not resign Dunn. That would definately be a downer. But dont worry - it aint happening. That sort of trade would hvae made sense a few weeks ago. The As with the best era in the league and the worst hitting (measured by BA which Dunn wouldnt help but you know what I mean) would definately be looking to swap pitching for hitting. However, in case nobody has noticed, Billy Beane has since thrown the towel in on this season in favor of building up his farm system for the future with the trades of Blanton and Harden. Simply put it would make no sense for Billy Beane to be interested in dancing with Adam Dunn for half a season in a year he has thrown in the towel - He would not give up a year of Huston for that. it does not match his track record or his stated interests. Plus they already have Jack Cust, who is in the Adam Dunn mold. Rather.. we all know what is happening here.

Billy Beane is after our propsects and Walt may be close to biting. Yes, gentlemen, it could not be more clear that Billy is after the likes of Stubbs, Mesoraco, Frazier, Valaika, Francisco, Roenicke, possibly even Maloney (doubt that one though) and others. I want to win this year and now as much as everybody else but a overhyped, slight better than average closer (era 4.09) for less than a year and a half is not worth the Reds future, particularly when our bullpen has been excellant. Please, no kneejerk reactions Walt.

Oxilon
07-23-2008, 05:29 PM
I was shocked to say the least when I first saw this. The bullpen is the best part of this ballteam right now and it does not make sense that that is the area Walt would be working to improve. Simply put, I am not willing to trade any top 10 Reds prospect for a closer with a 4.10 era in one of the ALs best pitching parks for only a year and a half, I'm just not.

Some have raised the prospect of Dunn being sent to Oakland. That would make more sense from the Reds perspective only because we would get Huston through next season and we may not get Dunn at the end of the year. If that is the deal that is made , we know that Walt felt pretty confident that we either Couldn't or Wouldn't resign Dunn - a very dissapointing and disturbing reality given his consistent production. Even though it would make sense to get something return for Dunn (even if it is only an additional year of a overhyped closer), it would be trading offense for bullpen help now, which I do not think matches the strategic interests of the Reds at this point. It simply is not a need.

To those that think Walt may be finding some interest for CoCo, snap out of it. That is a gigantic contract that he quite bluntly has not lived up to. I do not know many teams that would eat up that contract for the pitcher they would be getting at this point. That being said, Coco is more then adequate as our closer and our bullpen is solid, particularly after Jared returns, atleast in my estimation. Any attempt to fix what aint broken seems to be a knee jerk reaction to past week, which I would hope Walt is wise enough to see past.

So, the only way this trade would make sense is if Dunn is sent the other way and if we knew we would not resign Dunn. That would definately be a downer. But dont worry - it aint happening. That sort of trade would hvae made sense a few weeks ago. The As with the best era in the league and the worst hitting (measured by BA which Dunn wouldnt help but you know what I mean) would definately be looking to swap pitching for hitting. However, in case nobody has noticed, Billy Beane has since thrown the towel in on this season in favor of building up his farm system for the future with the trades of Blanton and Harden. Simply put it would make no sense for Billy Beane to be interested in dancing with Adam Dunn for half a season in a year he has thrown in the towel - He would not give up a year of Huston for that. it does not match his track record or his stated interests. Plus they already have Jack Cust, who is in the Adam Dunn mold. Rather.. we all know what is happening here.

Billy Beane is after our propsects and Walt may be close to biting. Yes, gentlemen, it could not be more clear that Billy is after the likes of Stubbs, Mesoraco, Frazier, Valaika, Francisco, Roenicke, possibly even Maloney (doubt that one though) and others. I want to win this year and now as much as everybody else but a overhyped, slight better than average closer (era 4.09) for less than a year and a half is not worth the Reds future, particularly when our bullpen has been excellant. Please, no kneejerk reactions Walt.

Actually you're wrong...and Adam Dunn and Huston Street swap makes logical sense for both teams. The Reds would get a good relief pitcher for this season and next (I don't care if he's had a rough go at things recently, he's still one of the better closers out there) and the A's would get Dunn for half a season and than cash in on two first round comp picks. The A's are obviously suggesting they feel the 2 comp. picks they could get from Dunn net more value than anything they could get in return from Street.

AFalcon10
07-23-2008, 05:40 PM
Actually you're wrong...and Adam Dunn and Huston Street swap makes logical sense for both teams. The Reds would get a good relief pitcher for this season and next (I don't care if he's had a rough go at things recently, he's still one of the better closers out there) and the A's would get Dunn for half a season and than cash in on two first round comp picks. The A's are obviously suggesting they feel the 2 comp. picks they could get from Dunn net more value than anything they could get in return from Street.

Dunn would be of no use to Oakland for half a year the GMs office is not even making a run at it...that would completely contradict their past two moves. And they can definately get better than 2 comp picks for Huston Street no doubt .. Billy Beane knows that. I think its obvious to me that he has his eyes on top prospects not Adam Dunn and comp picks in this trade talk. And that frightens me.

BLEEDS
07-23-2008, 05:40 PM
Street for Drew Stubbs.
That is the kind of deal Beane would make.

What would Beane do with Dunn - he can't afford to sign him OR build around him. They are in for the long haul. The only reason MIGHT be to get the 2 picks, but that is questionable.

Do the Reds think Street through 2010 is worth 2 draft picks?!?! I don't think so.
This only makes sense for the Reds IF they are looking to WIN next year, FOR REALS, which would include keeping Dunn, not getting 2 draft picks and a Huston Street.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

krm1580
07-23-2008, 05:55 PM
My biggest issue with the Cordero signing was it was done under the assumption we were a closer away from being able to compete. So we overpaid for a closer to add that "last piece of the puzzle". (Debate among yourselves what compete means. I have to assume they thought making the playoffs, because the 2007 Reds + Cordero don't resemble anything remotely close to a Championship team to even the most optimistic of folks)

After watching this team this season, what should have been apparent last year, has become painfully obvious this year and that is this team has flaws that go beyond just a closer. The Reds have pressing needs for upgrades in talent in their starting 8 at C, SS, CF and LF if you trade or don't resign Adam Dunn.

So how exactly does an arbitration eligible Huston Street improve the Reds?

steig
07-23-2008, 06:22 PM
I can't imagine the reds wanting to get rid of cordero considering the help he has been to cueto and volquez. I think they would hold on to coco for another year at least to keep grooming those two. Street would give us a great bullpen for next year with burton, street and cordero to close out games.

bleedsred
07-23-2008, 06:45 PM
Why does everyone seem to know what BobC and the Reds can afford as in payroll?

Blue
07-23-2008, 06:47 PM
I think Street winds up with the Dodgers for Andy Laroche.

Ghosts of 1990
07-23-2008, 07:11 PM
Street just isnt a need right now

ChatterRed
07-23-2008, 07:12 PM
http://trades.mlblogs.com/archives/2008/07/reds_and_huston_street.html

According to that article, Street is making $3.3 mill this year and has 2 arbitration years left.

markymark69
07-23-2008, 08:54 PM
With Weathers likely to be traded, Burton, Street and Cordero late in the game could be the new version of the Nasty Boys

Griffey012
07-23-2008, 10:00 PM
I wonder how a situation of 2 closers would work out, having them flip flop every other save chance and working the 8th inning. Would be interesting and innovative to say the least

GoReds33
07-23-2008, 10:01 PM
Why does everyone seem to know what BobC and the Reds can afford as in payroll?For our current market, and with attendence issues, it was a stretch to take on Coco's contract. After that, we took Patterson, Fogg, and Affeldt. Most of us were under the assumption that the organization maxed out what they could for this year.

That being said, MLB profits are very high. I read somewhere, maybe here on Redszone, that with internet and other media revenue, MLB teams start out being able to support a 50-60 million dollar payroll without selling a ticket.

Oxilon
07-23-2008, 10:23 PM
And they can definately get better than 2 comp picks for Huston Street no doubt .. Billy Beane knows that. I think its obvious to me that he has his eyes on top prospects not Adam Dunn and comp picks in this trade talk. And that frightens me.

Bowden just traded away his best chip and very good reliever in Rauch for one solid propect with so-so upside. Street may be worth a little more than Street, but not the the degree that he's going to net anything more than one good prospect. Beane may very well understand this and likes the idea of possibly having 3 first round draft picks in next year's draft. And with his history, you know he'll at the very least get serviceable players out of those picks.

BucksandReds
07-23-2008, 11:33 PM
Don;t go after Street unless you can do a Dunn (15 milion or more per year in 09 or 2 late 1st round picks) for Street and Cordero for 2 prospects that would equal the 2 guys that Dunn would get. That way you have about 7 million less per year in payroll for a near equal closer and the same return that you can get for Dun anyways. Less salary and same depth equals smart move. READ BETWEEN THE LINES. DUNN IS A GONER. LETS GET THE BEST DEAL WE CAN.

BucksandReds
07-23-2008, 11:38 PM
The Reds have pressing needs for upgrades in talent in their starting 8 at C, SS, CF and LF if you trade or don't resign Adam Dunn.

I like Kepp at SS and Hairston in CF. Putting 2 contact hitters at 1 and 2 in the lineup is great. With Bruce, Votto, EE and Phillips all with 30 HR probabilities that team can win. Were not going to get a great young catcher unless Mesoraco becomes a monster. LF is pretty easy to replace in terms of # of guys that make 5 million or less and put up power numbers (Not Adam Dunn power but a decent amount above league average) especially compared to other positions.

superred
07-23-2008, 11:41 PM
i dont understand why u wouldnt want one of the best young closers that is signed pretty cheap for 2 more yrs 4 someone who is going 2 leave @ the end of the season

Krawhitham
07-24-2008, 03:51 AM

hmmm.....

if you are going to lose him anyway at seasons end

YEAH

DUH

Redus
07-24-2008, 03:54 AM
Streets been awful this year....no thanks. Bad Idea...I hope its a bogus rumor and Walt is not that stupid.

dmoe
07-24-2008, 10:58 AM
this is a dumb idea. if you read this, walt: please, please keep dunn and arroyo.

krm1580
07-24-2008, 11:06 AM
I like Kepp at SS and Hairston in CF. Putting 2 contact hitters at 1 and 2 in the lineup is great. With Bruce, Votto, EE and Phillips all with 30 HR probabilities that team can win. Were not going to get a great young catcher unless Mesoraco becomes a monster. LF is pretty easy to replace in terms of # of guys that make 5 million or less and put up power numbers (Not Adam Dunn power but a decent amount above league average) especially compared to other positions.

I like Keppinger's bat a lot and he is an ideal #2 hitter in a lineup, the problem is he does not have a good positional fit on this team. While doing an admirable job, he is not a SS. He has below average range and since the Reds paly half their games in a band box, having a guy that can get to anything hit on the ground between 2nd and 3rd would be a huge plus for this team. Kepp fits best as a 2B but we have BP there. He is a great guy to have off the bench though.

Hairston I completely disagree with you on though. If he was going to hit .351 year in and year out I would agree but the fact is he is 32, has played for 10 seasons and has hit better than .270 once. His versatility makes him a nice guy to have off the bench but he does not do anything well enough imo to have him as a starter.

TheBigLebowski
07-24-2008, 11:23 AM
Bowden just traded away his best chip and very good reliever in Rauch for one solid propect with so-so upside. Street may be worth a little more than Street, but not the the degree that he's going to net anything more than one good prospect. Beane may very well understand this and likes the idea of possibly having 3 first round draft picks in next year's draft. And with his history, you know he'll at the very least get serviceable players out of those picks.

I completely agree.

ChatterRed
07-24-2008, 02:04 PM
I like Keppinger's bat a lot and he is an ideal #2 hitter in a lineup, the problem is he does not have a good positional fit on this team. While doing an admirable job, he is not a SS. He has below average range and since the Reds paly half their games in a band box, having a guy that can get to anything hit on the ground between 2nd and 3rd would be a huge plus for this team. Kepp fits best as a 2B but we have BP there. He is a great guy to have off the bench though.

Hairston I completely disagree with you on though. If he was going to hit .351 year in and year out I would agree but the fact is he is 32, has played for 10 seasons and has hit better than .270 once. His versatility makes him a nice guy to have off the bench but he does not do anything well enough imo to have him as a starter.

If BP would move back to SS, he'd probably win a Gold Glove and make the All-Star team. Kepp could move to 2B.