PDA

View Full Version : What about this trade with the A's (if it happened)

fewfirstchoice
07-23-2008, 05:43 PM
To the Reds:

Duchscherer - SP
Street - RP
Suzuki - C

To the A's

Bailey - SP
Roenicke - RP
Stubbs - OF
Mesoraco or Tatum (there choice) - C
Valaika - 2B/SS

That looks like a trade that could possibly happen. We give up good young talent but also get alot of great talent back. It woudl give the Reds a rotation of:

1) Harang
2) Volquez
3) Duchscherer
4) Arroyo
5) Cueto

A bullpen of:

CL - Cordero
8th inn. - Street
7th inn. - Burton
rest of pen:
Weathers
Affeltd
Bray
Doesnt matter who the seventh is that bullpen would be the best in baseball.

It looks good to me.

AFalcon10
07-23-2008, 05:49 PM
How long are Duke-Shur and Suzuki signed through?

Hustons a lot less attractive given his contract is only through next year. I'm not sure I would want to rob our farm system of SO much talent if Duke-Shur and Suzuki have similar contracts. Duke Shurs next contract is going to be big big bucks that the Reds probably would wimper away from so.. this deal might help us for 2-3 years but those prospects you listed would help us for the next 10.

Blue
07-23-2008, 05:58 PM
Lets see:

Street for Roenicke and $10+ million is a wash.

The rest of the trade is Bailey, Valaika, Mesoraco, and Stubbs (and lots of money) for Duchscherer and Suzuki. That's a lot of upside in exchange for a converted reliever who has pitched well as a starter this season, and a catcher with upside.

No, I wouldn't do it.

fewfirstchoice
07-23-2008, 06:00 PM
Street is signed thru 2010,well thats what MLBtraderumors stated. Im not sure about the other 2.

TheBigLebowski
07-23-2008, 06:03 PM
I gotta give you credit - as far as hypothetical fan trade proposals go, this is a pretty realistic one. If we still had rep here I'd float you some. I would hate to see Bailey and Valaika go but this trade would be too good to pass up.

ChatterRed
07-23-2008, 06:16 PM
I think the A's would want a catcher in return. Probably Ross.

Oxilon
07-23-2008, 11:17 PM
Pass on Suzuki. If you find Ross's errors to be irritating, than you'll be pulling your hair out after one week with Suzuki. And Duchscherer is no spring chicken. He's been in the league for a while, and even though he's found success as a starter for half a season in his career, I'm not ready to throw the farm for him. However, I still like the idea of going after Street.

07-23-2008, 11:37 PM
I'd rather have Bailey and Roenicke over Street and Duchscherer. Street might be good again, but who knows and he will be expensive, and Duchscherer is 30 and having a career year. Can you say Jimmy Haynes?

I don't want Suzuki at all. Can't catch, can't hit.

Throwing in Stubbs, Mesoraco, and Valaika is just silly.

dsmith421
07-24-2008, 12:04 AM
I'd rather have Bailey and Roenicke over Street and Duchscherer. Street might be good again, but who knows and he will be expensive, and Duchscherer is 30 and having a career year. Can you say Jimmy Haynes?

Dutch has a lifetime ERA of 2.99. Comparing him to Jimmy Haynes is absolutely ridiculous.

Try again.

ChatterRed
07-24-2008, 12:51 AM
I dunno. After looking at the stats of Street and Duchscherer, I might make that deal. I'd have them checked out with physicals definitely.....especially Street. Even though Duch is just starting for the first time, he's been in the league since 2003, and actually pitched some in 2001. His overall stats are pretty good, even though most of it was in relief.....and now he is proving to be good enough as a starter. He's probably due a nice contract, and Oakland wants to unload him for prospects.

The problem is, Bailey has pitched better lately and made you wonder if he's going to pan out. Volquez, Cueto, Bailey. Three young starters we'd have control of for awhile. Plus, Duch is another rightie.

But then again, you'd get a decent starter and another bonafide closer.

It really depends on how much you'd have to give up to get them. The A's will want a top starting pitching prospect which is Bailey. They will also want a top reliever prospect which is Roenicke. Then they will want more. That is the key. I don't mind giving up Bailey and Roenicke (I mind Bailey more than Roenicke). But I hate giving up some of these lower prospects.......although I'm not as impressed by Valaika as some are.

I think I do the deal if it's Bailey, Roenicke, Valaika, Stubbs for Duchscherer, Street, and someone else.

07-24-2008, 12:56 AM
Dutch has a lifetime ERA of 2.99. Comparing him to Jimmy Haynes is absolutely ridiculous.

Try again.

Jimmy Haynes was better than most people think before he came to the Reds, but you are correct, Dutch is much better. But I do see him as a one or two year wonder too. He has a ridiculously high line drive ratio this year, 24.7%, and a very lucky HR ratio compared to his fly ball ratio. And he is 30. His luck will run out soon.

NarrowStairs
07-24-2008, 01:41 AM
Duch is a flash in the pan. He's had his 15 minutes of fame, but now will be reverting to the 6 innings, 4 runs pitcher that he truly is.

Ghosts of 1990
07-24-2008, 11:37 AM
I'd rather keep Bailey. I don't think Street is that big an upgrade over Cordero to be honest, if we're talking about pure stuff.

TheBigLebowski
07-24-2008, 11:44 AM
I'd rather keep Bailey. I don't think Street is that big an upgrade over Cordero to be honest, if we're talking about pure stuff.

I don't think that such a deal would be consummated with the expectation that Street would replace Capt. 46 Mil. He'd likely be added as a setup guy to bolster the overall strength of the pen.

Ghosts of 1990
07-24-2008, 12:41 PM
I don't think that such a deal would be consummated with the expectation that Street would replace Capt. 46 Mil. He'd likely be added as a setup guy to bolster the overall strength of the pen.

Well I think IF it goes down, you have to move cordero and make street the closer. No reason to keep both

pitcher7
07-25-2008, 12:24 PM
No way this would happen. Beane would be crazy to give up 3 major league regulars, including 2 all-stars, despite the top prospects he would be getting.

And think about it this way...

The Rangers received 5 very, very good prospects for Mark Teixeira, arguably the most talented group ever given up for a single player.

This group does not even compare to that group of players, yet we would be getting an all-star starter, an all-star closer, and a young catcher?

krm1580
07-25-2008, 02:14 PM
No way this would happen. Beane would be crazy to give up 3 major league regulars, including 2 all-stars, despite the top prospects he would be getting.

And think about it this way...

The Rangers received 5 very, very good prospects for Mark Teixeira, arguably the most talented group ever given up for a single player.

This group does not even compare to that group of players, yet we would be getting an all-star starter, an all-star closer, and a young catcher?

I think you are being very liberal with the term "All Star". Just because you made an all star team does not mean you are considered one of the elite players in baseball. Case and point if the Nationals trade Christian Guzman, or should I say All-Star Christian Guzman, should they get a Kings Ransom of prospects for him?

Duchscherer is a flash in the pan. He is 31 year old career middle relief pitcher and prior to this season has never pitched more than 96 innings in a season. Street is an average major league closer and Suzuki is a below average catcher.

Texieria on the other hand is a Gold Glove switch hitting 1B, who has put up 4straight years of .280+, 30+HR, 100+RBI and at the age of 28 is just entering his peak seasons. There is absolutely no comparision.

By the way if you are the Reds who are pretty much out of it for 2008 and building for 2009 and beyond what do you gain by this trade? You already have a closer that you cannot trade, you already have catchers that are as bad as Suzuki and all you would be getting is a pitcher that has no track record as a starter other than this season.

pitcher7
07-26-2008, 12:39 PM
I don't think Duchscherer is a flash in the pan. Despite only being a starter for a short time, anyone who can have the success he has had for years has to be taken seriously. Also, when he was in the farm system, this guy was at the top of their minor league rankings as a starter, ready to join the "The Big 3" in the rotation. As always, he has had his stuff doubted because he didn't throw over 87.