PDA

View Full Version : Reds 7-4 last 11, all 4 losses in final inning

LouisvilleCARDS
07-23-2008, 05:49 PM
Two Cordero blown saves versus the Padres and Mets, an extra inning loss to the Mets, and a loss to the Brew Crew before the break when Weathers lost the game in the bottom of the ninth.

Better relief pitching and/or some more offense, and this team could have won 11 straight and 15 out of 17, and be 54-49 right now. Man that sounds a lot different if certain players would have stepped up, huh?

ChatterRed
07-23-2008, 06:00 PM
I think it's neither offense or relief pitching, but DEFENSE.

James B.
07-23-2008, 06:15 PM
I think it's neither offense or relief pitching, but DEFENSE.

Exactly! It seems like every time the reds lose, the defense is the biggest reason.

07-23-2008, 06:44 PM
The way the Reds lost those games is the difference between a good team and an average team.

ChatterRed
07-23-2008, 07:05 PM
Yeah, they win all 4 of those winnable games and they would be on an 11 game win streak, and be 54-49, and 5.5 games out of first place and scaring the heck out of the teams ahead of them.

LouisvilleCARDS
07-23-2008, 08:03 PM
I can't remember was exactly was said during last night game. But I think either George or Chris said that in Pythagoreum (sp?) equations, the Reds should have 10 more wins than they have now based on their runs. I don't think thats a stretch either. It feels like the Reds have been on the verge of having a decent streak all year. Maybe not Rockies playoff run worthy, but something that would push the team over .500 and be in the outside of the playoff talk.

FlightRick
07-23-2008, 08:27 PM
That's patently false about the pythag... for the past month, much has been made that pretty much the entire NL Central is playing ABOVE their pythag record except the Cubs. Last time I swung past baseball-reference.com (within the past few days), we were playing 3 games better than our pythag.

Which is about right, given our overall on-field performance. There's a difference between pythag and "excruciatingly painful losses in the final inning that you sort of feel like should have been wins, even if that's not entirely logical."

What this tells me is that we probably have eeked out more of these "cheap wins" against other teams than other teams have done to us on the year... it's just we've become attenuated to the latter situation in the past week. And hey, I admit it stings me, too, but you could look at the flip side: of our 7 wins, 2 of THOSE came in the last inning, too.

The door swings both ways.

UPRedsFan
07-23-2008, 09:01 PM
The point to ponder is not what could have been but what could happen over the next 2 weeks. They are hot right now and they're doing it without Harang, Burton, and Hairston. They could reel off 8 or 10 in a row, push into contention for the wildcard and become this year's Rockies. A strong Harang and Burton return is a must though.

improbus
07-23-2008, 09:28 PM
This is a classic Reds season. Dunn is hot, so they are hot. He will cool down eventually and so will they. Let's just hope he stays hot for a month or more.

ChatterRed
07-23-2008, 11:58 PM
I disagree. I think Dunn is hot because others are getting hot, namely EE. The relief pitching is good except for Cordero. We are getting good starting pitching out of Arroyo and Fogg......whodathunkit.