PDA

View Full Version : Griffey on Dunn

nate
07-23-2008, 09:03 PM
There hasn't been much talk about Adam Dunn lately so here's (http://www.thelotd.com/ctrent/blog/2008/07/23/griffey_on_dunn) Jr. talking about Adam Dunn from CTR. Enjoy!

Ken Griffey Jr. was asked about how Adam Dunn seems to be a ligtening rod in this town:

"No, I’m the lightening rod,” Griffey said. “He goes out and plays hard. Other than the 24 other guys in here, people don’t know how hard he works. Sometimes he tries too hard and doesn’t let it come to him. Nobody in this locker room wants to go up there and strike out or make an out or drop a fly ball. With him, if he doesn’t dive for a ball or run into a wall, he gets booed. Some of those balls he doesn’t get to, none of us would have gotten to. Sometimes it’s better to let it bounce rather than dive and then chase it to the wall.”

Griffey also talked about Dunn's ability to get on base and score. He summed it up by saying, “He gets the job done.”

Dunn got the job done on Wednesday, not only hitting the Reds' first grand slam of the season, but he also had an RBI single the other way in the sixth inning off of Greg Maddux.

Dunn has 11 home runs in his last 20 games and eight of his last 13 hits are home runs. Leads the majors in home run ration and walks - leads the team in HR and RBI.

"When Adam heats up, there’s nothing better," Baker said. "He’s seeing the ball well and not fouling off balls. He centers the ball and I hope he stays like he is, because he’s capable of carrying us on his back."

missionhockey21
07-23-2008, 09:07 PM
Not too many are hot on Griffey or Dunn among the general Reds fans I would think (at least the 700WLW callers), but it's refreshing to see a member of the Reds... even another player, stick up for Dunn.

Griffey is a classy guy though and I think he is just confirming what many of us perceive from Dunn's willingness to play through an injury, openly criticize his season and make actual improvements of measure in the areas he says he wants to do better at. Way to go Griff.:thumbup:

OnBaseMachine
07-23-2008, 09:12 PM
Posting live from Myrtle Beach.

To echo MR's thoughts, it's nice to read Griffey's comments. The players know how hard Dunn works and how much value he brings to this club. It's a shame more of the fans can't understand that, instead they lay all the blame on he and Griffey.

Degenerate39
07-23-2008, 09:18 PM
Great to see Dunn's teammates finally take up for him. Dunn is a great guy to have around here. Good teammate and a good ball player. God forbid he doesn't go balls to wall and dive into the stands.

Spring~Fields
07-23-2008, 09:18 PM
Posting live from Myrtle Beach.

To echo MR's thoughts, it's nice to read Griffey's comments. The players know how hard Dunn works and how much value he brings to this club. It's a shame more of the fans can't understand that, instead they lay all the blame on he and Griffey.

Griffey and Dunn have never been given the supporting cast of talent since they have been with the Reds that it takes to be a serious competitor in the Central division.

icehole3
07-24-2008, 05:20 AM
it's very simple with me, if he hits Im for keeping him, if not let him walk, youre not going to get equal value so you just play your hand... simple poker.

KronoRed
07-24-2008, 02:34 PM
Griffey and Dunn have never been given the supporting cast of talent since they have been with the Reds that it takes to be a serious competitor in the Central division.

Nope, instead they get blamed for not carrying the team for 162 games.

Blaeh.

VR
07-24-2008, 02:38 PM
What did anyone expect Griff to say about Dunn? It's his best friend and running mate?